Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hodakaguy, Dec 31, 2017.
And it’ll probably kill weeds pretty effectively too.
This sprayer had been used, wasn't to concerned about blowing air through it but wasn't wanting to put clean fluid in it. I did buy a new cheap harbor freight sprayer today though...so I'll give it a try
Up early this morning to get the Raptor liner sprayed on the sliders....but quickly got derailed when I realized I didn't have the 2K bare metal primer that I thought I had. Oh well...on to something else today.
Time to modify the lower mount for the air bags. The OEM mount is designed to rest on the axle on one side, it has a notch cut into the bracket to clear the curvature of the axle. When fitting properly the mount rests on the axle with two sharp points....probably not a lot of pressure here but I still don't like it. With the addition of the Dakar springs (This spring pack is thicker) it left the mounts support leg dangling in the air by 3/4" so modifications will have to be made to get it back to original design.
Firestone lower air bag mount sitting on the Dakar spring pack, this support leg is suppose to be resting on the axle (the mount is turned around in this picture for reference).
Starting to fabricate the new mounting leg, this piece of pipe will become the saddle at the bottom of the support. Here using a wrap around to mark a cut line. I like the idea of a saddle with any pressure being spread out instead of being focused on a sharp point.
Checking fit, I tweaked the curve a bit for an exact fit. Still needing a little tweak in this picture.
Laying out the new longer support leg.
Parts laid out, edges beveled and ready for welding.
Attaching the support base. Side Note....I absolutely love MagSwitches! These are super strong magnets that you can turn on and off with a switch on top. They are soooooo handy for holding parts when fabricating.
I started fabricating parts for the passenger side while my father commenced tig welding the mounts back together.
Mount primed/painted, Daystar cradle installed and everything bolted into place.
Alignment looks way off when the springs are at full droop, but it comes back into alignment as the springs are compressed.
More to come....
Hodakaguy and Dad fabrication.
Well done as usual.
I have a 12-15 year old ARB keeping beer and sourdough starter cold, in the shop now..it spent years beating around in a truck and jeep in Moab, Farmington..top quality stuff.
Ya' gotta lose those drum brakes !
Nah...benifits aren’t worth the money and effort in this case
They’ll be sold in 6 months anyways, and the new buyer won’t care
I doubt it....but ya never know lol
Finally! Some welding porn!
I'm super impressed and jealous of your creativity and fabrication skills. But, the best part of this thread is seeing you do all this with your dad. It makes me miss my dad very much.
Another Hodokaguy project.
Toyota Tacoma? Excellent choice sir.
Here's my 2012.
Looking forward to the build...
Drum brakes are fine for the rear, and it typically makes the e-brake setup easier. Probably not worth the effort.
Hey @Hodakaguy your old man might appreciate this-but he might've seen such nonsense-it's new to me.
Any competent welder can do that.
Which is one of two reasons you’ve never seen me or Pat try it.
Wus! A real man would use a pen or a bit of filler rod to stir his tea.
Received the differentials back from the gear shop. Can't wait to go for a drive and try out the new gearing!
The old cast carrier removed from the front diff. I ended up having an ARB air locker installed in the front diff while it was apart, no difference in labor at this point so now's the time if your gonna do it.
Air fitting installed in the front diff for the ARB locker.
This is the drivers side needle bearing in the OEM front carrier that ends up causing vibrations in lifted Tacoma's, If lifting a Tacoma it's wise to change out this bearing with a ECGS Bushing which will fix most vibration issues in the front drive line. The ARB locker carrier doesn't use this needle bearing so no need to change anything if installing this unit. I had already ordered the ECGS bushing and had it on hand then changed my mind on installing the locker.....guess I'll have a ECGS bushing up for sale soon
The same area on the drivers side of the ARB Carrier.
Shiny new REM Polished 4:88 Nitro gears installed in the rear diff.
Gasket surface cleaned on the diff housing, getting ready to install the new gasket.
Rear Diff re-installed and torqued, locker connectors fitted and guard installed.
Axles torqued to specs and brake cables re-attached.
Installed the modified passenger side lower air bag mount/cradle.
Received new lug nuts in the mail. The new aluminum wheels need taper style lug nuts (can't use the factory nuts), I stopped by a local tire store and they gave me a Gorilla spline drive lug nut to try out on the wheel at home. With the new wheel in place I wasn't happy with the amount of threads that was protruding from the wheel and engaging the lug nut, time for some searching. I ended up ordering the same lug nuts in extended reach that add another 1/4" of engagement with the threads....much better.
New Gorilla spline drive ET lug nuts
The standard lug next to the ET version. Much improved thread engagement.
Testing fit in the wheel. Plenty of space left to allow the wheel to fully seat. There is also slight clearance between the lug nut and wheel to allow proper centering.
More to come.......
Looks to be a pretty big difference between wrenching on something that is almost brand new vs something that has been around the block a few dozen times. Excellent build as always!