Hodakaguy's Ural Gear Up...Mods, Pics & Adventures!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Hodakaguy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    A quick cold start video. The off road mapping in combination with the EJK Tuner is a great combo! Idles super smooth hot or cold and there is a noticeable increase in pep across the throttle range. No hiccups, decel popping etc. A whole different beast compared to the ultra lean stock mapping.

Hodakaguy
    DaFoole, zookster, Rakthi and 4 others like this.
  2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a 1.25 gal (4.75L) Rotopax Gasflask in the trunk of my M70. Just made a simple mount to match its attachment system with some P clamps and aluminum rods attached to the seat back. Takes hardly any useable space, yet out of sight of sticky fingers.

[​IMG]
    DaFoole, Rakthi, brstar and 1 other person like this.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    @Hodakaguy , I haven't messed around with EFI tuners very much. The only one I'm familiar with is the Power Commander by Dynojet that has a computer interface so that you can see what A/F ratios you're getting. With the EJK, I understand you're currently using the stock settings recommended by EJK for use with the Off Road map, but if you want to start messing around with the settings, does the EJK unit give you any feedback? Or is it strictly seat of the pants?

Seems like for $250 that's a pretty worthwhile mod.
    Bar None likes this.
  4. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Photos didn't show for me. I think I will mount the 5 liter or 3 liter can in the trunk like you did.
    Bought the cans for my 2021 Ural cT arriving in December and a 2021 Honda CT125 arrival date unknown.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Can-Portable-Gas-Diesel-Petrol-Fuel-Tank-Spare-Container-ATV-Motorcycle-5L/264310330502?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20201014_115035.jpg 20201014_120040.jpg
    phughes and Rakthi like this.
  5. Bar None

Oddometer:
    I had a 2012 Yamal and never put gas in the can that came with it. :D
    Never ran out of gas with it or my later owned 2015 cT.
    Hodakaguy and Rakthi like this.
  6. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Dumped the 20w-50 out of the trans today and installed Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. The heavy shockproof protects from 75w-250 and has a viscosity of 75w-90.

The transmission is a lot happier with the Redline, both when cold and hot. Shifts are noticeably less "clunky", especially on down shifts. Being that the trans is non-syncronous, timing shifts is still important and I can quite often get "clicks" when shifting instead of "clunks".

Another side benefit is the oil is dark red and is very easy to see on the dipstick....nice!

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    davide, Tmaximusv, Bar None and 3 others like this.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seat of the pants. The results have been mixed even when using the diagnostic tool they rent. I considered one, but the folks in Redmond talked me out of it, they've been known to cause serious issues because the 2014-2018 Electrojet system isn't a typical EFI system. I eventually went with the Gen2 Keihin EFI retrofit kit.
    phughes likes this.
  8. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    You can always use an analyzer to dial it in, but yes seat of the pants is the "usual" tuning method along with spark plug tattle tales etc.

I've found the EJK to play amazingly well with the Electrojet system....it's starting, running and riding 100% better than stock. Would be interesting to ride the new system back to back with this one for sure, but that said I'm really happy how this one is performing. I'd definatly recomend the EJK.

Hodakaguy
  9. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    What makes the Electrojet efi different from the Keihin efi.
  10. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Had that oil in my 2015 cT transmission and felt the same improvements. Will put it in my 2021 cT.
  11. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to you perfecting the Ural , getting slightly bored with it , then buying one with a blown-up motor and re-engineering it to take a Subaru motor.
    I can dream , can't I ?
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Gen2 Keihin is a up to date fully integrated motorcycle EFI system. The Electrojet is a more basic industrial EFI system originally intended for power equipment where each throttle body has its own ECU that functions independently of the other.
    Hodakaguy and Rakthi like this.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've rode a stock EJ Ural, rode a EJ Ural with a EJK, owned a off road mapped EJ Ural, rode a pre EPA certification prototype EJ Ural, and own a EJ Ural upgraded to Gen2.

I listed them in the order I perceived their rideability to be. The Gen2 is clearly several steps ahead of the EJ in useable power and ridability.
    brstar, phughes and Hodakaguy like this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did too with the same results, but the only local autoparts store that sold it closed up. I now just add 40% hyperlub to 20w 50 oil, basically the same results for 1/3 the price. I won't speculate if one is actually "better" than the other.
  15. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I have no doubts that a modern EFI with throttle position sensors have better response and power, that said my current setup is running really sweet and I'd be hard pressed to spend the money to upgrade right now. Compared to my vintage bikes this thing feels VERY modern :-)

Hpdakaguy
    brstar and Bar None like this.
  16. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Red Line is good stuff. I like Royal Purple 75-90. They also have a 75 -140.

Royal Purple.jpg

My favorite is Swepco 202 (also a 75-90) but is a bit harder to find. I found out about Swepco from the big factory off road race teams (GM,Ford,Toyota, Dodge) who all used it. Swepco was developed for big mining and grading equipment.

Swepco 75_90.jpeg
    Hodakaguy and Bar None like this.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Despite the minor quirks, and limitations of the EJ system, I still preferred it to my carbed 2007 Patrol which now sits unused. The wide range of experiences with the EJ system stems more from the inconsistent QC of the EJ hardware manufacturer than the systems limitations. The 2016-2018 were better in that regard, but it was never entirely resolved. The good ones are good.

I ordered my 2018 M70 in 2017 fully aware that the Gen2 was in the works, and that the M70/Retro was being discontinued. I was comfortable with that decision, and totally pleased with it........but then I got to ride a pre production 2019, and a upgraded EJ. Resistance was futile after that. I went for it, and had both the Gen2 and engine upgrades done.
    Hodakaguy, brstar and phughes like this.
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never tried Royal Purple or Swepco, are they "stickey" oils like Redline and Hyperlub, or are they standard consistency?
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  19. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    They are both more comparable to standard Redline 75w-90. Redline Heavy is a bit different

Hodakaguy
  20. Bar None

Oddometer: