Hodakaguy's Vagabond Camper/Truck Build....Yes Again!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Hodakaguy, Dec 21, 2018.

1. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Have you priced first gen Tacos lately ? Insane !
  2. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once you drive the two back to back the difference is really apparent. Toyota went to a 3.5L engine on the 3rd gen trucks from the proven 4.0L unit on the 2nd Gen. When driving the 3rd gen it seems really lacking in power, the first time my wife drove mine she said "Why doesn't it go when you press on the pedal". It can be improved with aftermarket tuning, the Orange Virus tune does a great job of waking the engine up and providing a better driving experience. The transmission shift points are also screwed up on the 3rd gen trucks and overdrive is geared WAY to high from the factory making it very difficult to hold overdrive unless on completely level ground, the transmission is constantly up shifting and down shifting. You can change the gearing on the trucks (I installed 4.88 gears in ours) that really improve the drive ability along with the engine tune but it's a lot of $$$ to make it drive the way it should have came from the factory in the first place.

The 2nd Gen trucks drive soooo much nicer! The truck has plenty of power, throttle response is spot on and the transmission holds gears exactly like it should. The overall driving experience is vastly better IMHO and doesn't require a ton of aftermarket mods to make it work correctly.

Hodakaguy
    villageidiot and Stravoxylo like this.
  3. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Here's my 2000 that I recently picked up, 74K miles on the clock. One owner and it's a 5 speed :-)

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  4. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Great shot! Nice looking truck and Bike!

Hodakaguy
  5. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sigh... No airplane.
  6. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Not yet, moving houses got in the way :-(

Hodakaguy
  7. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    MikeyT likes this.
  8. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm finding this funny because I bought my gen 2 last January ( https://advrider.com/f/threads/show-us-your-tacoma.1297664/#post-34897746) and have barely put on seat covers and floor mats, HG has already done a full build and moved on to my truck! My approach ( and wallet) is a little different, I'm upgrading components as they wear out os I haven't even put new tires on yet.

How do you find the OME 3" lift on the Gen 2 compared to all the work you did on the Gen 3 truck?
  9. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this, loved your last build. As I daily a 2004 1st gen with 226K on everything original, that would be a fun build to watch
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  10. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with upgrading when needed. So far it's working great, the ride is slightly more stiff than the BP-51's but not bad at all. The current Dakar springs are perfect for the Drifter.

Hodakaguy
  11. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Nice day today, took a break from working on the shop and went for a cruise on the Lambretta :-). Hopefully the existing shop will be ready soon and work on the Drifter can start :-)

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    Arkansasrider, nickguzzi and CA_Strom like this.
  12. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    400,000.JPG
    This is the only picture of my 1995 Gen 1 Taco I could find. Extra-cab, 5 sp, 3.4 L- 6 banger. I used it for work. Tough as nails. The transfer case gave up at 420,000 miles and the list of repairs it needed was so long I sold it to a friend at work. He is building a woods truck out of it. The engine still runs fine and burns minimal oil. Was getting 21 mpg when I sold it and never had a CEL come on. I am using a low miles Camry for work now.

My company pays me reimbursable mileage to drive for my job. I took the mileage money the Taco earned and bought a brand new 4Runner in 2001 with the same engine. I still have my 4Runner as a play vehicle, it only has 95,000 miles on it. The 3.4 L is a little low on power, but it is as tough as a Snap On Hammer.
    wee-twin, mbabc and Killacurb like this.
  13. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    3D Pen! Never heard of one before, is that edible?

;)

Looks cool though.
    greenohawk69 and DCrider like this.
  14. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of progress on the truck lately since I've been concentrating on getting the shop set up after the move. We did manage to install the new suspension on my 1st gen this weekend. The original suspension was completely shot...it had the limpest springs this side of a screen door! I ordered up an Old Man Emu setup with Dakar springs....these should do the trick.

Installing the new suspenders... Ignore the pickle fork, it wasn't used (I hate these things).

[​IMG]

Assembling the new springs and struts. This is the best spring compressor I've ever used, takes the danger out of playing with springs :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good time to clean and re-grease the manual hubs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear Dakar springs & shocks installed, extended brake lines installed and brakes bleed with fresh syn fluids. Truck drives & handles soooo much nicer with the new suspenders. Now to get it aligned.

[​IMG]

Hope to get some work done on the camper soon.

Hodakaguy
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'd agree with that. I have this idea, but no welding skills to make it work.

I'd love to have that entire rear area open to walk upright thru the back door...

M
  16. r77toy

r77toy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What coil spring compressor are you using?
  17. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what ^he^ said. Looks like a nice unit. Certainly not as sketchy looking as what's commonly available:
    [​IMG]

Used one of those last time I changed struts on my wife's car. Pretty sure the threaded rod was bent by the time I was done.
    Chinesium scares me...

G
  18. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    The unit I have is the original made in the USA unit, the Chinese have since Made an exact copy. The original runs around $300, China version $99.

This compressor is a great piece of kit and handy to keep around in the shop.

Link to Original: HERE

Link to amazon: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy
  19. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I think there are times when a Chinese copy is fine and a time when 'made in USA' means safer. I'm inclined to think that spring compressor is one of the latter

M
    Motomedic and BigEasy like this.
  20. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    And here I thought you were resurfacing to tell us you sold the Toyotas and bought something else...