Holiday Southwest Ramble ?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Mully, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I got some time off during the Christmas holidays and am thinking semi-seriously of doing a "walkabout" somewhere in the SW states (AZ, NM, mebbe TX?); a little camping, a little socializing, a lot of decompressing from too much corporate doubletalk, newspeak, political posturing, and LA Commuter Roulette. I'd like to find out if there are any AdvRiders in SoCal interested in taggin along, or if there are any between Here and There interested in hooking up for beer/coffee/lies/whatever. Anyone?

Potential itinerary:
    - leave SoCal area around 12/26
    - ramble as many back roads as possible, meet as many AdvRiders as possible before I gotta come home
    - maybe loop up thru Santa Fe for at least one premium nite at Inn at Loretto, La Fonda, or whereever; or maybe Taos if weather permits?
    - back in SoCal for New Years

Open to other ideas, if there are any.

Best to all/Happy Holidaze!

mully
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous. Though if the weather holds as it has we are still getting primo riding weather up here.
  3. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading out of LA as well, although I haven't picked the dates I am flexible. Thought I might head to Las Vegas for a night and weather permitting wander through Zion and Bryce NP's heading to 4 corners. From there the weather will determine, but the wife is requesting a stop in Santa Fe for a bribe of jewelry... I thought about lining up some good weather for this giving me southern routes off the Grand Staircase to bail me out of trouble which is why I haven't firmed some dates. Utah is going to be cold. Bryce and Hwy 12 might be snowed in and I haven't got a clue about the weather on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, but I'm willing to consider some options.
  4. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Thanx for the reply, Harry. Like you, my plans aren't fim yet, but I'm thinking of a route down south across AZ over to Silver City, NM, maybe over to Carlsbad (which I've yet to see), then maybe down to Big Bend if I'm feeling up to it, or north to SF. Return route via whatever's most scenic. Let's talk as we get closer to a final plan.

mully
  5. armadillo

armadillo Sandtrap

Oddometer:
    We might be able to get a Texas contingent to meet you out in Big Bend on the weekend of the 28th.

Anyone interested?
  6. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Tom, you're probably already too late to book anything at Big Bend NP for Xmas week, although the rooms are great there and worth trying to stay for at least one night. Look into rooms at the Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis (kickass pie and pintos/cornbread!) instead. And stay away from the Super8 in Carlsbad. :):

Jon
  7. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Mully,
    I am in NM, and if you let me know right before you are to leave, I can let you know about the conditions/options on some roads aroud here. We have been having some realy warm winters, but you never know. If it works out where I am available, I'll buy ya some good mexican food in Santa Fe or Alb.:1drink
    Gordy
  8. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Thanx, Gordy! I love Santa Fe during the holidays, so will put that high on my 'want' list. Road advice would be good - some of those passes are pretty high and changeable. Sheet, I remember one time coming into Taos from Durango, around the Brazos Cliffs got into one of the most spectacular thunderstorms I've ever seen on a bike and that was in August! Yowza, don't care to repeat that with snow/ice thrown in.....

mully
  9. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:

I rode through S. Arizona last January. I don't know where you are in SoCal, but I rode out of LA to the Ortega Hwy. down to Temecula over Mt. Palomar through Julian and Anza Borrego on 78 to 34 and Yuma. Next day it was I-8 to Gila Bend and south on 85 to Organ Pipe Nat. Mon. East on 85 through some forsaken lands and into Tucson for the night. There are some interesting back country roads between I-8 and the border along with some Boarder Patrol dirigibles keeping an eye on everything. I went to Nogales and Patagonia following 82 to Tombstone and night three in Bisbee. A couple of good bars in Bisbee with some rather interesting selections of draft... The next day headed down to Douglas and picked up 191 north with a side trip into Coronado Nat. Forest were I dropped my bike in a sandy turn of what I think was a road... I tried to head further up 191 above I-8 thinking I could make it to Gallup and visit a friend but turned around when I hit ice at higher elevations. I could have gone into NM but I didn't want to ride more interstate and I was advised about icy conditions, so I wound up heading back towards Phoenix via Globe on 70.

Oh yeah, I just checked the weather in Santa Fe - high of 40 tomorrow. Most mornings last Jan. the temps were around freezing when I started riding but it warmed up around 11 AM. I wouldn't have wanted to camp all that much this time of the year.
  10. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much the route I was considering, so thanx for the insight! Yep, making it to SF will require the Weather Gods to gimme a break..... :evil

mully
  11. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi GS,

JP and I are thinking of doing just about what you are planning, leaving on the 26th also. The only caveat will be the weather.

If we do it, would love to hook up with ya. Email me off list...

Steve
  12. Captain PHX

Captain PHX Western Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been wanting to do an Organ Pipe camping trip. I'd meet up with you somewhere if you want. I'm also wanting to do Death Valley sometime soon.
  13. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Dunno for sure, but I doubt the Terlingua Ranch, Longhorn or Easter Egg Valley are booked...? Sure the Chisos probably is.

Big Bend is way cool,

Bob
  14. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I was looking at Organ Pipe , too! I'd say if this comes together, that would be a definite. Death Valley will be in January - see the thread on "Death Valley Daze VIII".

mully
  15. Captain PHX

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw th Death Valley thread. I think I'll be there. Organ Pipe sounds good. Let me know when you'll be there, or even someplace in Western AZ where we could meet up and ride to Organ Pipe.
  16. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Wilco!
    No plan yet, but tentative idea is to leave SoCal 12/26, work way across Cal w/stay somewhere that day, arrive Organ Pipe area 12/27. More as I develop the rest of the plan.

mully
  17. Captain PHX

Oddometer:
    Roger!
  18. tel

tel Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Love to come along - I'm in Orange Co. but probably will only be able to ride on the 26th.

If you're headed over Ortega and plan to stop for lunch or whatever between there and say Borrego Springs post the place and I'll try to make it.

Be great to meet some of you guys.

:1drink

tel
  19. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Will do, Tel.

mully
  20. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    dood that bites. I'm off from the 20th to the 4th. Holler if you need some help.