Holly River State Park WV day trippin'...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mbabc, Oct 30, 2019.

1. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    I had a few v days left and I was itching to get out of town before the big chill sets in. Looking at neighboring states to Kentucky I decided on Holly River state park in central WV. It's 350 miles from home and in the middle of some great mc roads.

Loaded up my WR250R in my InTech Explore mini camper and arrived on a nice sunny Thursday late afternoon. Great campground that I got at a fantastic price for 3 nights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got things situated and took a little hike along the steam behind my site before dinner in camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a very comfortable Disc-o-bed cot with a nice foam bedroll and slept great. The weather was looking kinda' iffy for Saturday so I planned the big mile day for Friday. A couple cups of coffee and donuts and I'm ready to take the backroads over to Spruce Knob, highest point in WV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Spruce Knob I headed down to the Gateway restaurant in Riverton for lunch. Great place and fantastic desserts. Took pavement back to Holly River, went through Greenbank, Cass, Snowshoe and Webster Springs on WV-20 back to camp.

Holly River (for me at least) had zero cell service and barely any local AM radio to get an accurate weather forecast, so Saturday AM I decided to hike one of the parks hiking trails. I did the Reverie trail which was listed as a 'difficult' 2.4 mile one way.

[​IMG]

It was pretty wet so I took my rain gear, water, a few snacks and my InReach Mini satellite communicator.

[​IMG]

The Reverie trail was well blazed which was a good thing because all the recent rain brought down plenty of leaves to obscure the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tecumseh "Falls" was a little weak today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy was enjoying the damp day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came out this road which I'd ride later that day to Pickens, WV.

[​IMG]

Walked back (7.3 miles total) to the park restaurant for a great lunch. Then back to my camper for a nap. Hey, I'm on vacation...
    Things were looking better weather wise so I decide to go for that ride.

[​IMG]

I took a little loop east over to Balli mountain, Pickens and then back CR-3 to Hacker Valley. The roads were perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That night it was really howling up on the ridge tops and heavy rains followed. Glad I was in my hard sided 'tent'. Didn't need it too much but my Propex propane furnace was nice to have.

[​IMG]

Sunday AM was more coffee and I'm packing up to head back west.

[​IMG]

Cot folded and hung on the left side. Perfect rig for a solo camper. You could use the top bunk but you better be pretty good friends...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll definitely be back. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Great report on one of my favorite areas to ride!! I like your setup!!
    mbabc likes this.
  3. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride as you were in my back yard. However it seems you missed a hidden gem, The Hutte in Helvetia. Check it out. I totally found it by accident while out exploring. Safe travels.
  4. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Good deal! I've got the Hutte saved in my maps. Guess this region had a big Swiss immigrant population? The Balli farm I rode past was Swiss.
  5. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very large swiss settlement in that area with lots of interesting history.

Attached Files:

6. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Cool info. I'll definitely be back there.
  7. spklbuk

spklbuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mbabc likes this.
  8. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report, my wife wants to move back to West By God. The Africa Twin doesn’t.

I’ll miss the wife but there are some great places to ride in WV. when we come visit her!!!
    mbabc likes this.
  9. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Very nice Mark-----------so pretty.
    Luv your little camper--------it's so nice to be in there when it gets cold
    and to listen to the pitter patter of rain .

Like you I was itchin' to get out-------loaded up in the van and got 30 miles from home and the engine lite came on................had to go back home..........thankfully I had only gone about 30 miles.

Will try to mark a few things you spoke of into my WV gps file.
    Thanks
    Mark
    mbabc likes this.
  10. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mark. Webster county was very pretty. Got this brochure while there and looks I'll be headed back to explore more.

IMG_20191102_142644.jpg
  11. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the video spklbuk. I love that area and all the history.
  12. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    we used to do a Halloween campout in Helvetia, probably did it for 20 years, lots of years it snowed, but the riding was still great. We would camp in the meadow right in the village. The Hutte would have a costume party, we would all dress up. eventually the event died away, but our group pics are still hanging in the Hutte, back near the one bathroom. The town seemed to change a little after Eleanor passed away, but it's still a worthwhile stop.
    mbabc likes this.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check this place out. Louisville boy here too and my mother in law lives about 30 miles away from this place in Normantown, WV, so I'm in the vicinity quite often. Can't believe in 40 years of going to her place I've never heard of this. Then again everything around her place looks like this too:D
    mbabc likes this.
  14. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will not regret it. When you pull into the parking lot of a restaurant that is in the middle of no where and all the cars have out of state tags you know they are doing something extraordinary. The Hutte checks all the boxes for me. Its unique location, historic building, awesome food and service are just a few highlights. As i said before i found this gem by total accident while out exploring. I was there on a Sunday and they were having a mini buffet. No joke i ate so much that i pulled over twice because i was afraid i was gonna fill my helmet with barf....lol. No regrets as i took a buddy out the very next weekend and its just over a four hour ride for me. Mbabc, i apoligize for sort of hi jacking your awesome thread.:rayof
    mbabc likes this.
  15. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I will definitely be going there. I 'm just amazed I've never heard of it in all the years I've been in that area. I've probably ridden near it and didn't even know it was there. I'm heading over to those parts in 3 weeks so if I get a chance I'll go. Thanks for the heads up!
    mbabc likes this.
  16. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM of what you think of the place. Always cool to see what other folks think. Safe travels.
    mbabc and rd400racer like this.
  17. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mbabc likes this.
  18. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Great links guys. Love all the additional insights.

Here's the online version of the "Mountain Parkway - Byway and Backway" brochure I showed above. Seems to concentrate on the west side region of Holly River SP.

http://www.wvmountainparkway.info/index.html