Holycaveman + KLR, take on the milk run. Ama national enduro Rnd!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by holycaveman, Jul 2, 2006.

1. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I am not realy good at posting trip reports, but I thought a few of you might be interested on how an overweight, out of shape, daily rider, did on his 99 KLR at a national enduro!

Just discided to race the enduro thursday night, race was sunday. It is a national, so this means (as already said) they try and kill you. Well my tires were totally bald, but luckely (not) I found a couple of knobbies on the junk tire pile for the race!

So I threw on the 1/2 gone chengshen 755, and loaded the bike up about 7:15pm saturday night, and headed down. Brought my knee braces, camping gear, chair, etc...... Plus another front tire for my friend Rob, who was going to try and make it on his 640 adventure. The only thing the pix doesn't show is the front tire I had thrown on top for rob.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I headed out, nice evening! Warm, good riding weather! Well about 25miles out I get behind this semi, and the back end starts scateing around?? Man! I thought, I am getting some turbulance? As the semi got further away, and the wobble got worse, I then realized that my rear tire was flat:cry Now I know why the tire was on the junk pile. I of course have a couple of spare tubes with me, but I feel that the tire is at fault. So I call a friend and he comes and takes me back to my house. Funny thing is I just sold him my trailer last week, now if I didn't sell him that trailer? YOu get the picture:wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So we get it back to my place. I am kinda weary at this point. I have two rim locks on the rear, and I already changed it before I left along with the front!! And now I have to change it again, Its after 9pm now, and I am late.:puke1

Took it apart and sure enough the carcas was ripped inside, which rubbed a hole in the tube. So I got one more shot, a 1/2 worn 606! Not a nob, but still better than the other alternitive. So I (this time) check the inside of the tire. Sure enough, Its junk, torn on the inside again!. Well its not like 17in knobbs grow on trees, so it was either not race, or run my mefo explorer that I just got in the mail friday.
    And of course I threw on the mefo!:clap :cry
    So its now 10pm and I am heading out again!:clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boy those mefo's handle the road alot better than a flat knobbie:huh Went straight down state route 33, a four lane. Great night, I kept it at 60mph cause I switched the front sprocket from a 16 to a 13 tooth for the race. The 12 I had was alittle worn, and besides I had almost a 2hr ride on a freeway. I was cruizing along at 60mph running 5300 rpm's, not to bad I guess?

Very nice trip down! (finally) Was pretty cool, since its the fourth of july weekend, I got to see the small town fireworks all the way down!! Several differant ones. Hardly anyone was on the road, no lights or stopsigns on the freeway, just the warm night air and tons of fireworks to watch!!

Finally made it down to Athens at the fairgrounds about 12am(midnight) Set up camp and was watching the back of my eyelids about 12:30am.

Woke up at about 6:40 am and started to get things ready to go by 9am(key time).

They had a mini Bob evens so that took care of coffe and breakfast!!:D And of course I had to park close to Mike Laferty and his full ktm ride rig:rofl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did I tell you I missed my kickstand:cry Fortunatly a fellow racer let me use his trailer and tiedown for a support! And I also missed my cruize controll on the way down:cry Realy!

I went to sign up and then to tech inspection. Tech inspection is where you take your mx bike with your streetbike tag, to make sure you are quazi leagal. And they also give you a sound check.

I pulled up with basket and all and said " Are you guys realy going to inspect my bike??:lol3 They laughed and said " inspection done!" Did I mention a 60 dollar entry!!! So basically I am paying 60bucks for someone to kick my butt!!! Any takers?:rofl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yea, as I was getting ready, I noticed thease nice road bikes, that wern't (is that a word?) in the race:rofl :rofl :rofl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now getting ready for the race involved, taking off the mirrors(sshhh!) the rack and basket(I actually was asked during the race where the basket was? I think he was dissapointed:D ) Airing down the tires 15f/8r(since it haddn't rained in a day, otherwise I would have run 4 or 5 if it was realy slick) and removing my +4in windscreen. I wanted to keep it simple, no major mods, just a basic KLR, kinda:evil . Also you have to stick your number on your bike(347) and your score card, along with your route chart.

I opted for a late number, so I wouldn't be in the way of the AA guys. I also entered in the 4stk A class for a couple of reasons. 1. It would force me to run the additional "A" loop, and 2. Well realy that was the main reason.
    This is a pic of the "race KLR" before the race!:lol3

[​IMG]

Well got to the line and got to take off!! I only ran a half tank of gas(you figure it out:D ) So the gas can I brought with me went on the gas truck.
    We started out on the track of the fairgrounds, then went through the middle of town and out to the "deer paths!.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well guys, I will get back to you tomorrow morn. I am whipped, broken, and darn tired! Besides their is a wicked storm that just rolled in, and I am afraid that the computer will go!:eek1
  2. GSdreamer

GSdreamer Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I love to see a KLR ridden for all its worth! I know you took first place, Right?:wink:
  3. chrishay99

chrishay99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap YAY! Street-legal thumpers roosting with the pros!!

:lurk
  4. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    you are my hero :thumb
  5. kpick

kpick Free Range Human Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love it....F**king love it.
    This is what it is all about.
  6. Jeff4680

Jeff4680 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The suspense is killing us HCM. :lurk

Jeff
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love it! The mighty KLR in a race :bow :bow

:thumb
  8. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    I'd say "this is gonna be good", but it's already AWESOME! :thumb
  9. metlcutr55

metlcutr55 LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer:
    and to think i almost skipped a nice street ride yestrday because of some morning rain....im so ashamed....
  10. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go HCM Go! :clap
  11. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    :clap Congrats HCM on makin it to the enduro & surviving it,, coming home in one piece is a definite bonus, can't wait for the rest of the report:ear
  12. GasDepot

GasDepot Sold the Cage

Oddometer:
    This is awsome you are first in my book.:ricky
    I love the contrast of the KTM rig with the satelite dish watching, hot shower taking, soft bed sleeping "pros" :lol3 and your tent with a 7yr old street bike out front.
    Now I'm gonna have to be checking all the time for the rest of you report

James
  13. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    And now, "for the rest of the story"

Anyways, I did round up a "tony hawk" helmet cam. However I question the footage I took. It kept shutting off, it was broke inside. I got alittle footage, but unfortunatly you will have to wait, I don't have the software yet to download it. My friend though said if I mail it to him he will take care of it. So for now you will have to put up with my writing, since I did not have a vidio crew on the scene.

So we are off!! Now if you know enduros then you know that the start is pretty mellow. They just flip the card with the minute your on, then say "30seconds" and you have 30 seconds to start your bike and at 0 you take off.

They warned us at the riders meeting NoT to wheelie in town, if we did and a cop caught us we would be disqualified! Seems ironic that when I was riding through town a cute college girl was holding up a sign that said "wheelie":D So I thought , just one little wheelie wouldn't hurt? So they cheered after the wheelie, kinda cool. Yea I am an outlaw, no mirrors, and a wheelie:ricky
    After we got throught town we rode out to the country, about 3to5 miles total, and got to a reset, which is right at the first offroad section. The trail started into a good uphill, that some had troubles on, so the vet A riders behind me asked " are you going to make it up that hill?" See they did not want to get stuck behind me. I said " I'll be just fine, if you catch me just yell and I will let you around". Well that first hill was easy, so we went about a mile down the tough single track, and came to a large rocky uphill. Now in enduros the hills are alot tougher than gncc's or harescrambles(just keep in mind) So I started up the hill and got mid way just to find 3 ktm's stuck on the hill. If I would have had a knobbie then I could have shot up beside of them and went around, but where I stopped was alittle muddy, and the mefo's just didn't get enough drive. Meanwhile the vet A riders just came to a stop behind me. We were kinda like"this figures" I mean right off the bat we are stuck on a hill:puke1 And I have to keep from houring out. One of the stuck ktm's was about to move and open up a small line for me, when another one was trying to cut in front of me? So I yelled(nicely) to him "as soon as he moves I am shooting straight up!" He just looked at my bike and looked at me, and stopped. Got my line and shot straight up. Back on the trail. The faster vet A rider did catch me about 2miles down the trail, but I got him back and stayed in front of him the rest of the day(untill the big one)

I forgot to say that there are 4 riders on every row(minute) and the other 3 in my row I never saw the rest of the day? Hope they were alright. So as the day went on the trails got tougher. Fortunatly the trails were just awsome!! Not too muddy, except in a few areas, very tight, up/down loggs, tons of offcambers, very fun!! Now I wasn't pushing it at all, I knew I was out of shape, and didn't have the energy to realy get going, so I was just trying to run smooth and consistant. I zeroed a few checks and dropped a few here and there, I didn't feel like I was rideing that fast? But the A guys in front of me I was able to stay with, this one guy a minute in front of me said " you know you are just humilliating me every time you pass me" I told him not too worry, I am just out here flailing around like everyone else.

The People who put on the race were great, they cheered at every check I went through. Can't figure out why? They would just shake their heads and point alot? Don't know what the big deal was?

Well I was getting tired, it was 92degrees, and I forgot my camelback!:eek1 Went through this one road section where spectators were holding out bottles of water!! Man! what a life savor. So I grabbed a bottle as I went by and yelled thanks! Then later I found out if I would have stopped, they had sliced apples too:cry :cry The rest of the race as I was getting more and more exhausted, all I kept thinking about were those sliced apples that I missed:cry

Well up untill the 10th check, which was about 3/4 through the race, I was holding my own. Actually I was riding much faster now than when I started! I was hitting it pretty hard on this off camber single track on a hill in second gear when I hit an unseen tree root. Down I went! on the up hill side, shoulder first, right into a rock! As I slid to a stop I heard my shoulder rip, I knew I did some damage. After I quit yelling from pain, the vet A guys came by and asked if I was alright. I knew I was alive but my shoulder wasn't right, so I said I would make it but my shoulder is out. He said he would get some one at the next check(which happened to be only about 500ft) So when I stood up my right shoulder was over by my chest!!
    I remembered that mell gibson movie where he had dislocated his shoulder, and banged it against something to get it back in? Well that is only in the movies!! I hit my shoulder several times while bitting my teeth from pain only to get nowhare! I then tried to move and twist my are, then suddenly, pop! it slid back into socket:clap Man! what a relief. Just about that time came help. He had just ran 500ft up a large hill so he kinda looked worse than me:lol3 He asked if I was alright, and I said I hurt my shoulder. He then told me that the section ended only about 500ft up the hill!! So I came into the check only 12 minutes late, man it seemed like forever when I crashed? Since my shoulder was injured and it kept falling out of socket , I asked the course workers what was the quickest way back? One of the guys said that he was heading back and I could follow him.

I was following the truck back, bummed cause of my missfortune, but looking forward to getting back and resting. Then we passed the next route arrows for the race:evil

Screw it! I said, and turned the bike around and headed back to the race course. Found if I clenched my muscles in my arm it would hold my shoulder in! Now I knew if I had one misshap I was done. So since I was only 12minutes down If I just rode slower but smooth I could survive. On the other hand I was thinking what if I crashed again and couldn't get out of the woods!.

Well I had 3 of the toughest sections to go, about 40 miles of trail! I was going along okay considering, goofed up a time or two, but pulled it out. This one place got pretty muddy, and there were several deep ruts that if I got stuck I didn't have the strength to get it out. Well my balance and reaction time was way off because of my exhaustion. And when I stopped I fell over against a tree. Man that little fall just took every thing out of me. So I just laid there for a whlile(on a ant hill I found out) but I didn't care, and just let them crawl on me. I just wanted to fall asleep, or someone just come by and shoot me. I mustered enough energy to keep going, and not give up. I did not want to hour out, so I picked up my bike yelling the whole time:lol3 Got through the check alittle more late and the next one. I noticed on the next to las section many other riders laying down pulled off the trail. With each rider I passed, it made me more determined to finish. Man I saw this one guy go end over end down a huge downhill. Poor guy, I asked if he was alright? He could hardly talk so he just nodded his head and said yes.

Well I was totally exhausted by the last section, I had the chills, was on the verge of loosing my cookies. And I went down again, I knew I only had about 5 miles of trail left, but I was so week I just bent over my bike, with my leg trapped underneeth and tried to catch my breath and rest a minute or two, or three. I knew I couldn't give up now, with only 5 miles left, so I got up again, started yelling and got my bike up. Off I went like death riding a motorcycle. Passed a kx 250 that passed me when I was down, he was resting under a shade tree. Passed a few more guys that were way infront of me on rows, but was worse that I was. This last 5 miles just never ended. Just when it would open up to a field and I could relax a bit, it would tuck back into a nasty root infested single track. Many of the corners were tighter than my bike could turn.

Came to this one section that dropped down about 8ft into a mud hole and shot straight up over thease off camber roots right next to a tree. Three guys were there that did not make it. One of the guys I recognized from the 250A class. He was upset blaiming it on his bike(crf250x). I tried it but fell in the same place he did. He was upset at himself and didn't lift a finger to help. Thats ok I managed to pick my bike up and get it turned around to try again. The other guy was exhausted and just sat there. The 250A guy said you'll never make it with that tire so you might as well sit here with me untill the cleanup crew comes. Little did he know he just gave me a boost of energy!!!

So I hit it at a daring angle and with more gas I shot right over the roots and on my way:clap I thought "tire, we don't need no stinking tires":lol3

Well I made it finally to the end of the "B" loop. Had I had a roll chart I would have seen that the extra A loop was only 4 miles long. But I was thinking another 20miles or so, and I was physically exhausted, done, spent, etc...... So I headed back to the fairgrounds. All in all I think the B loop totaled about 135miles, and if you rode the A loop it equalled 140miles. Long ride for a close to senior, outa shape guy.

When I got back to the tent, I thought I would pass out, just sat there for a while. I think I have never been so beat. Then I laid half in my tent for about an half hour or so. Poured water over my head that was ice cold. Wow, that actually revived me alittle!

Anyways, I got rested up, and proceded to the main area for the results. They were haveing disputes about scoring so I had another hour to kill. So I got loaded up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

Now technically I did not finish(dnf) Because I did not do the A loop, and I signed up for A class. But I am cool with that, I had a heck of a ride, and am not dissapointed. Sometimes you can only do what you can do.

So how did I do?? Considering the troubles, I am stoked!!! Actually I was amazed at how close my times were to the first and second place guy in the 4st A class. Untill my crash(check 11), I was only 2points(minutes) off from 2ond place!!! I was realy amazed, I didn't think I was going that fast, and wasn't realy pushing it?

So I ended up 7th out of 10 riders in the 4stk A class. Overall I don't know? But I imagine by the number of guys who quit, I did pretty well considering, my condition and my tires(nothing wrong with the bike:wink: )

I took pictures of my score(far right, 7th, 347) and the others so you could compare. I even took a picture of the overall winner, who beat laferty and jenks, etc... He is from california. I did though beat laferty I think, of course because he hurt his knee(sorry mike).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One realy cool thing is the club members got together and descided to give me the Iron man award. I told them I was no differant than anyone else who races. So they pulled me aside and gave me a new moose jersy! I thanked them for a great ride, and their hard work!!

Finally caught up with motodirtlover, from this forum. He did very well! got 4th at this national in his class, and is winning the district! Prety good. Thanks for the encouragement motodirtlover! Good job!

I finished packing up my stuff, and left, of course by the time I left I was the last one to leave.
    One guy said he lived near me and offered to take my bike and me home. But I already was loaded up, and I don't think his truck is anymore comfy than the kLR.

About 45minutes later I pulled in at Sonics:clap A drive in that has the worlds best fruit slushes!!! Unfortunatly the inside of my mouth was so swollen from the race it hurt to eat the slushy:cry So then I ordered an ice cream cone, and that was the ticket!! It soothed my mouth and throte.

This was one of those most cool moments, I was just sitting back on my bike after my race relaxed, holding a ice cream cone, and that song by montgomery gentry was playing over the speakers, " you do your thing and I'll do mine" I think the stars were alligned right, one of those things you rememer for life.

[​IMG]

The ride home was pretty good, only about half way my leggs started cramping up, so I had to stand up running 60mph most of the way. Peolple kept looking at me funny, but oh well. Got to see some fire works on the way home also!
    Got home at 10pm, right before the rain started. I lucked out.

So now here I sit, can hardly lift my arm to the keyboard(literally) I should go to the doc, but I know they will only tell me I need surgery, and I am not going for that. It will heal, just like my knees did. The good Lord definatly looked after me, and this body he created is made pretty tough!:wink:

Well was it worth it?

Heck yes! I had a ball, :clap

Would I do it again?

You know it, but this time I will be more prepared.

Is the KLR a competitive racer?

I will let you answer that one:D

Cool moment: Was packing up and Robbie Jenks yells over at me" Tom, How many minutes did you drop?" I thought to myself, Your concerned?:lol3 So I yelled back at him "about 500!" We laughed.
  14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    nice work,tom :thumb why does the klr gain weight as the day goes on? the thing must weigh 800 lbs by the end of the day.:wink:
  15. Sparky11

Sparky11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tom,

You are my KLR Hero, we have had alot of great times on the old KLR's. :clap
    I hope you can still help out with the DS by next week?????
    Heal up and will talk to you later!
    Happy 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparky 11:lift
  16. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very well done.:clap
  17. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    :clap That's incredible, even after ya popin your shoulder out?? you continued to make actual racers look bad:rofl :rofl , think about it,, if all those who competed had been on AdVrider when ya said you were gonna enter, betcha over 80% woulda been flamin ya, bitchin & complainin bout havin to go around you on race day, you sir epitimize what an Adventure rider is, not afraid of challenges & not layin down waiting for someone to pick you up when things get a little harder than ya thought,, I salute you:freaky
  18. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing, really amazing. Seriously well done:clap :clap

Cheers
    -Simon
  19. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement guys!!! Makes me feel better:clap

Realy though, when you are out there racing, I am not trying to make anyone look bad. You are just battleing with yourself, its you, and whatever machine you choose. I personally hold the bikes all equal, I just try and make do with what I have. For some this race was tough, many complained of the downhills, uphills, etc.... And with the heat it was tough.

Weather me or anyone else, you are just out there trying to do your best! You can do what you want to get an advantage over others, or better your chances, change bikes, whatever. Still its you who is the one that has to make it to the end, no matter what you are on.

Hats off to all the racers who stuck it out the best they could!!:clap :clap
  20. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job :clap

Tom,
    You are truly the holiest of all KLR neanderthals :lol3

Your performance in this enduro brings to mind the rarely expressed, yet perfectly relevant and self-evident truism: "It's the rider, not the bike".