Home Depot and Apple Pay

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bicyclist, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    US retail has picked up the pace of deploying contactless payment terminals. At most of the places where I do business, I'm now able to use Apple Pay. I like it because it's much faster than pulling a card out of your wallet, inserting it and waiting...and waiting.

Home Depot is one of the last holdouts. They announced four years ago that they would be upgrading their terminals to make contactless payment available. They haven't and their terminals are worn out. Ever had trouble with your card in their terminal? It's not your card. I've asked several of their associates about it and they've all bitched about how much time they waste on the crap terminals not reading cards properly.

I'm curious whether anyone has seen working contactless terminals in any Home Depot.

Canada is way ahead of the US in deployment of contactless technology. Does Home Depot have it in Canada?
  2. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one by me has the newest checkouts with the gun and big computer screen thou I can't tell you if it has touchless pay but the card readers are new.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't even have a apple. Nor do I want one. I'm not at all comfortable with the concept anyhow.
  4. nevermind

nevermind over it.

Oddometer:
    I like pie.
    ozmoses and Dan Diego like this.
  5. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    777FCA92-A9D7-46D1-9C60-BBFEA84D9F69.png File under “1st World Problems.”
    Bultaco206 and 1greenmachine like this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Home Depot continues to be hacked. You'd think they'd be stoked to sign up for contactless payments given their track record of mis-handling customer data over the years.

and for people anti-Apple, NFC is not an Apple thing. There are credit cards that the rest of the world calls "TAP" and you can pay via phone on Android, Samsung and Apple devices. Watches have it now, even subway turnstiles in Japan take NFC. In 10 years, you won't need a wallet if you don't want one. I can't wait.

----
    and a bit more information. NFC is insanely secure. Anyone in the world can steal your wallet or skim the magnetic strip on your card. Man in the middle attacks at POS / ATMs / gas stations are insanely common. If you're still swiping, you're just asking to have your money stolen. Chip & Pin is better but it's still one account number and merchants don't seem to care how they transmit your data to Visa and are commonly hacked. the way NFC works is it masks your credit card number. It uses a complex hash algorithm to assign a number to your card for that particular transaction and only when the card reader phones home to MasterCard or Visa will the charge go through back to your unique account but the merchant never has your real card number. it's quite genius really and so long as you use a complex passcode with facial recognition, you'll never be robbed of your money. I always have $50 cash on me just in case but my wallet these days stays in my locked pannier buried because I pay everywhere using my watch or phone. My insurance card is o n my phone and a medical card is in my motorcycle jacket. Heck, even my keys stay in my pocket since my BMW is keyless. zero issues.

What's super cool with amex is when I order a new card, the Apple Wallet account updates automatically. If I want, I can revoke a card from my phone or watch or Mac. My Apple Wallet is on all of my devices so I can authenticate with face or fingerprint when I want to buy something.

Once State Department and local DMVs get on board with virtual IDs, I can't wait to throw away my wallet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You guys are safe to hold out against this technology but it exceeds the security of the credit cards you have on your person all day. All of you have had your card number stolen. this is a thing of the past now that we have the NFC tech. virtual card numbers are super awesome and protect us against the millions of compromises merchants out there.

I firmly believe though that until the US Government starts to fine companies $1 per record for data loss, nothing is going to get done. It's a risk reward argument. If all 400 million of my customer's records get released out into the world with SSNs, DOBs, etc and the only implication is that I get a few pissed off emails and a 15 minute segment on CNN, then why would I as a huge company spend my money to further protect people's information? But if DOJ starts bringing up charges on companies like Home Depot and Equifax to the fines of $1 per human record that was compromised, these huge hacks would stop happening.

Most POS machines take tap payments just try it. I haven't swiped or inserted my card in over a year in USA. Some EU places still require chip only but most take tap now. even if there's no logo, most have an NFC chip.
    ozmoses and nevermind like this.
  7. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Grandmas apple pie was the best but my wife makes some dam good apple crisp...crap now I'm hungry.
    JeepDawg and nevermind like this.
  8. Bicyclist

Oddometer:
    Jim, you don't need an iPhone. There are several apps that do the same thing on Android. PayPal One Touch, Venmo and Android Pay are a few of them.

As for trusting them, see @AdamChandler's post. Each transaction generates a unique number so that your credit card number is not seen. Much safer way to do business. And did I mention that it's fast?

What I really want to know is whether Home Depot has contactless terminals in any of their stores.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I’d ask Home Depot that question (instead of a bunch of motorcycle enthusiasts on ADV Rider).
    JeepDawg likes this.
  10. Bicyclist

Oddometer:
    I have. No response.
  11. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    paid astroturf posts for a pp le?
    JeepDawg likes this.
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    EA21EC0F-8044-4139-A2FB-F6A5A38AAB69.jpeg
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Adam, what advertisement did you cut and paste this from?

For the record, I am not anti-apple, I just don't believe the claims that touch pay is safer than credit cards.
    JeepDawg likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    My wife has an iPhone. It is a constant source of amusement for me as she struggles to get photos off it, has to constantly delete photos because it runs out of space, despite it having 64GB. Nah, I'll stick with my Samsung S9+. Yes it has Samsung pay, but the way it aggressively attempts to make me use it turns me off if it too. So far my card has never been hacked, so I will stick with using cards for now.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    So what keeps someone from stealing your watch or phone and using it to buy stuff? It is not like they are hard to hack.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  16. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then perhaps you should educate yourself on the matter.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:

You forgot to say BOOM!

Really, a spot on post- the problems are systemic old economy vs new technology.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in HD 4-5x a week in Boulder county. None of the ones I frequent accept Apple Pay or have contactless terminals, and their card readers frequently suck.
  19. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, the hackers are one step ahead of any technology that HD, Amazon or any of your credit card companies can roll out. The reason mainly stems from “inside jobs” in that the same people building these “strong defenses” are the same ones exploiting the weaknesses and allowing access to our info.

Some may say, “So we just give up?” And I say, no: Just take universal precautions and be prepared to deal with a likely hack job.
  20. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying a virtual wallet is not able to be hacked, but it is definitely more difficult.