Homebuild leaning sidecar

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Hellracer.nl, Oct 27, 2012.

1. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working and simple is quite the challenge.
    BJMoose and Bobmws like this.
  2. Hellracer.nl

Hellracer.nl What the hack???

Oddometer:
    Because I like the classic lines of my tub and the square K100 doesn't fit with this, I decided to build a wrecked K1100rs that was lurking in my shed into a classical looking K.
    A KlassiK so to say.

This is where I am today:
    IMG_20200722_200757.jpg

I'm happy with the general lines, just a lot of work to do to make it a functional bike.
  3. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice
  4. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a proper bike.
    Not so sure about that brick where the engine should be.
    :imaposer
    Maybe you can make it look like a motorcycle engine some how.
    :-)
    pops likes this.
  5. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    I'll add some decorative items to make it look more like an old bike. Things like a horn with rubber ball, a glass coolant reservoir, copper piping for the injection system. Not too steampunk, I'll try to keep it functional.
    draperg1, brstar and Bobmws like this.
  6. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There you go.
    Old school inline 4.
    Don't forget the fish tail.
    el Pete, GotDammitDave and Bobmws like this.
  7. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    Yeah! That's it, I'm making a fishtail exhaust.
    draperg1, brstar and Bobmws like this.
  8. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    That gas tank doesn't suit the bike very well. It should sit lower and be more teardrop shaped. Course, mok-ups are usually quite different from the finished article.

I like the rear frame loop, reminds me of a /2 frame.
  9. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear because the loop is supposed to look like the /2 frames.
    I didn't choose a teardroptank because you automatically go towards a chopper look with a teardrop.
    This is an old Jawa tank that I widened with some 20cm (8") to make it look more like an old BMW tank.

This photoshop is my inspiration:
    [​IMG]
  10. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    The gap between the tank and the engine will be full with all the injection, electronics and airfilter stuff.
    The gap above the gearbox will house the alternator, the starter, the battery and the coolant overflow.
  11. kiwiwannafly

kiwiwannafly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool to see someone else with a similar brain (mal?)function :lol3. The leaner hack has been percolating in my brain for a few years now. I'm not interested in a tub to cart people in - just a flat platform to strap stuff to and being fun/different to ride. Initial plans were to develop one for my GN250 bobber or the '76 XL250 (Honda was too original/rare to alter anything). And if satisfactory scale up for my K100. But that was before dreams of Africa invaded my head. Fast forwards to today: Transalp has been sold, only got as far as Mauritania border before Corona shut me down. So while international travel restrictions exist I have to stay put in Netherlands and build my leaner in my head (for the mean time).
    When I get some drawings finished up I'll post them here for people to comment or trash.

Love the K1100 looks so far - Jawa split tank with leather straps! Copper inection tubes sounds perfect! And spoke wheels...ahhhh:clap
    draperg1 and brstar like this.
  12. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    Hi Kiwi, I think we had contact before, possibly through Facebook or another platform. As said, you are welcome to visit and have a go at riding my leaner.
    I would love to help you with you building a leaner but I'm currently replacing my bathroom which is far more work than I anticipated. And I really hate doing plastering and tilework.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  13. kiwiwannafly

kiwiwannafly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey :) I've managed to escape Europe just at the right time it seems. Pity in another way - I'm a builder by trade. Bathrooms, tiles, plaster is my bread and butter!
    Now time to populate my life with a new 2 wheel toy, gaze at it with coffee in hand for hours (or until the coffee goes cold) and plan strategic 'improvements'. Will keep in contact.
    Helmet up, rubber down. Caution: do not invert.
    Hellracer.nl likes this.
  14. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    And I see that I forgot to post the video that a well known Dutch Youtuber made on my leaner.
    I showed and taught him how to ride it and then I took his car (Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk, 700hp, not bad for a car..) so he could ride my bike and leaner combo.

See me in action from the 2.50 minute mark. All in Dutch, sorry bout that.

Jimr80gs, Bobmws and OzCRU like this.
  15. kiwiwannafly

kiwiwannafly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hahha....excellent breakfast viewing even understood a few Dutch words! Classic catch the boot spill. As a teenager I had a Yamaha TX650, spent many many hours polishing, re-chroming/repainting. And finally complete Friday night to take downtown to impress girls. Pull up to lights, few blips on the throttle, went to put my foot down....shoelaces caught in the gear shift. Yep I made sure ALL the girls were watching when I went down. Good times, good bikes.
    GotDammitDave likes this.
  16. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see the leaner in the video even if I couldn't understand a word of what they were saying.
    I take it you still have it?

How about the K1100RS that you were working on earlier this year (above) - is it any further along?
  17. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    Yes I still have it. And I ride it frequently.
    And the K1100 is steadily transforming. Not very fast since I'm busy with rebuilding the bathroom.
    Happy wife, happy life...
  18. Mavigogun

Mavigogun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    “Heal suck”- the foot being drawn under some part of the rig -is one of my main concerns with a leaner rig. I suppose starting with the foot placed on the linking strut is a necessary precaution; reflexively dropping the foot when coming to a stop seems the greater danger.

Hellracer, are you still bending tubing with that primitive hydraulic pipe bender? If so, it seems to be working out for you- no overt kinks. Do you waste much tubing from failed bend attempts? Are you using pipe, or tubing? If tubing, any special technique to adapt to bender die-tube size discrepancies?
  19. Hellracer.nl

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm still using the simple hydraulic pipebender and it works very well within boundaries and with the right tube.
    The frame tubing with the /2 loops is seamless colddrawn tubing, real high class construction tubing. This is way to hard for my humble pipebender. Luckily I know a guy with a bendingmachine that is capable of creating this. Also a sidecar rider ofcourse.
    All the other bends I made myself. Even the hoop in the middle of the frame on the side. I use cheap thickwall piping. Nothing fancy.
    CROSSBOLT and brstar like this.
  20. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning project! Very practical approach! Found this after I asked my leaner question about Flxible Sidecar company!