1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade Ammo Box Panniers!!!

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by DasBatman, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Nah man, think fiberglass or aluminum inner box with perforated steel exo box.
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    seahorse cases, similar to pelican, 1/3 the price with locks.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  3. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like too much work. That’s why I said inner wp bags with the perfs. Doing the holes would be time consuming enough.
  4. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread googling ammo can panniers. Thinking of this for my XR650L. You say $60, but I imagine that's just for the cans, what about the racks their mounted, that'd add to the cost, and hardware. It sounds nit picky but just trying to get a realistic price. All this talk of cutting them up, putting fibreglass or aluminum un to seal them, using bags etc.....I'll bet by the time you calculate all those extras you're going to be in. the range of soft bags. Giant Loop or Mosko Moto for example. Sure the ld ammo cans are heavy, but they work. You can more easily lighten them by removing the reinforcing rubs in either side and the double layer in the lid, glue the gasket back in place. for locking just buy hasp and latch kit, mount the hasp, the elongated slats on the can locking handles are perfect for a hasp to pass through, put on a water proof lock, which are usually rubber coated and you're done. Rubber coated locks also will cut down the rattling.
  5. exhdrdr

exhdrdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try going to the beginning of the thread page 1 very interesting info there.
  6. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love your project. I have full sized aluminum panniers that are just too big. My Mosko Backcountry offset kit is adventure trip perfection. I'm a teacher and wanted something big enough for a change of clothes, laptop, grading folder or binder. These 11x16x5.5 60mm cans are my planned solution. They just arrived. Most of my mental plan mirrors yours, but I did buy mosko mounting plates so they drop right into place like my Mosko Moto Backcountry set. 20200919_115813.jpg 20200919_115833.jpg