honda 919

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by speedisgood, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ST-DocLizard1

ST-DocLizard1 Serial Monogamist

Oddometer:
    No issues if outfitted properly. It now has 81K on the clock and it has been out to California and back in 2005 with 7,500 miles logged for the trip. I would suggest a better seat or at least an upgrade from Spencers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ytoride.com/&usg=AOvVaw31xRbzOZi3w8v8lHz-uoDu
  2. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    OK, I like what I see about the 919/CB900F, but I've run into a bit of a snag here. Seems like there are no 919 side case racks available anywhere. Does that seem right or is there someplace I should be looking? Revzilla, Twisted Throttle, etc, all show the Givi side case racks - and every one of them, without exception, says "out of stock" or "no longer available."

Is NOBODY making accessories for these bikes anymore? :dirtdog I get that they weren't popular in the US but I had thought they were quite popular in Europe and in other parts of the world. Is that not the situation?

Inability to put luggage on the bike is going to be an issue with me. Are there other options out there I just haven't considered? Is it the high exhaust that makes sourcing aftermarket luggage a problem?
  3. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Check the Givi part numbers on eBay. I got my top case rack from my local Givi supplier but this was over 6 years ago
  4. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had to adjust steering head bearings and gave it a new coat of rattle can. I was going to monkey with the plastics, clip ons, rear sets etc but time got away from me.

20180331_124553.jpg 20180331_124607.jpg 20180411_203728.jpg
  5. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Managed to drop around 38 lbs, for a 919, it moves.

Attached Files:

alekkas and Red eyed and Rollin like this.
  6. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone school me on steering head bearings? I adjusted mine recently but they still feel loose. I don't have the special socket so took a stab at torquing them but I under did it. The manual also mentions pre-loading them (I think that was the term). Not sure what that means...
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    UP on MT Evans a couple of hours before I hit an elk at low speed :(

IMG_0155 (1).JPG
    fireman1028 and mitchxout like this.
  8. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Are you ok?
  9. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, thanks for asking
    dustin2 likes this.
  10. Dave W.

Dave W. Yea Sportball!

Oddometer:
  11. ST-DocLizard1

ST-DocLizard1 Serial Monogamist

Oddometer:
    Side Racks from any source are hard to come by over the last year or two. Some of us over at https://www.wristtwisters.com/ feel your pain. I was able pick up a pair of Givi side racks from a wrecked bike last Fall. Others have tried modifying racks from other models with some success, yet others go with custom fabrication. You have to be vigilant in your search of all sources and respond rapidly without regards to price.

The only other option is to go with the Givi top case rack and soft bags.

The dual exhaust is only an issue with non-stock cans as you will lose the heat shields and the after market exhaust may be too wide to accommodate the racks.

Good luck on your quest.
  12. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I resorted to mating a Bandit 1250 Givi Rack to my 919. Warning: I am not a professional :lol3

IMG_4534 (2).jpg

Here's an older 919 of mine in full-on ST mode

[​IMG]
  13. Jnich77

Jnich77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    So I picked up a 2007 a couple months ago. Bought it from a kid who owned it for almost 2 years and put about 300 miles on it. It came with a folder of receipts and such. The original owner bought it new in San Diego, and it now lives in my garage in New Haven CT. It had at least 2 owners in Virginia and Maryland in between.

I had a Yamaha FZ6 for 5-6 years. Sold it after I bought a very nice Tiger 1050. It was an awesome bike, but I just couldn’t get used to the size/height of it. Sold it to a friend and bought a DR650.

A couple months later I stumbled upon this 919 on FB marketplace a few states away. Hmm, it might make a good compliment to my DR650. The guy surprisingly accepted my offer, so I loaded up the trailer the following weekend.

It came with Pelican cases attached to Givi racks, but I converted them back to Givi so I could use the Givi’s I had. The front fairing is also Givi, its ugly and needs repainting, but it works decently well. Added a taller handlebar, stainless brake lines, shorty levers, different mirrors, and heated grips. It came with a solo Corbin seat, but I picked up this dual Corbin which I like better (the solo Corbin is for sale).

Still need to do a few things to it: install better turn signals, add some auxiliary lighting, and give it a good cleaning. But I’m really happy with it, it makes a great low-budget light tourer and has better highway capabilities than my DR650. It feels similar in size to my FZ6, but the engine seems more similar to the 1050.

One of these days after I get it cleaned up I’ll take some nice pictures.

Attached Files:

de Vaca, Mazaev and mitchxout like this.
  15. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
  16. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    What has always worked for me on different bikes...when you put the yokes and forks back on the yokes shouldn´t flop from side to side with no resistance, they should move smoothly but not drop straight to the steering stop without being pushed. That normally correlates to tightening the first collar until you start getting resistance. The difference between loose and okay can be quite small so not unusual to have to pull the top yoke to adjust. Check for looseness by moving the forks forwards and backwards before the wheel goes on, there should be zero play or clunks.

Sometimes another adjustment is needed after a few hundred km of running (races might not have been 100% flush with inside of seats). That´s my highly unscientific way of doing it anyway.
  17. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something about this bike. Can't stop enjoying it even after 8 years now.

[​IMG]
    de Vaca, racer1735 and ExTex like this.
  18. speedisgood

speedisgood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started this thread 8 years ago and I still miss my 919. I have since had 2 tuonos which have been exciting but more tiring to ride on longer trips. There is something about that old 919
  19. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm going to resurrect this old thread because I got a 919 last week.

919 02.jpg

Let the farkling begin!

First up, center stands. I can't find a Honda one. Has anyone had experience with a company called "Re-Craft" that is apparently based in Ukraine and sells on eBay? They do offer a C-stand for the bike.

Anybody have a C-stand that they want to sell?
  20. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get another one! Lots of them out there.