honda 919

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by speedisgood, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    No plates yet but due to COVID I can legally ride until the end of the month. Took advantage of a nice day on Saturday and did my first real ride (other than riding it home after purchase.)

First ride 01.jpg

Wasn't able to go very far, but I have to say, what a hoot! This bike has way more power than any other bike I've ever owned, and it just feels like the power comes on effortlessly.

The one thing I'm going to have to get used to is the high-revving engine. I kept thinking I was in 4th or 5th gear and reaching for another gear but nope, I was in 6th gear, loafing along at ~3500 RPM like it was nothing, but the engine redlines at 9500!

My eBay centerstand order was cancelled by the seller due to availability issues. :dirtdog Now I'm to the point of probably just "bite the bullet" and order the SW Motech stand. Has to ship from Germany but at least it's available. Unless anyone knows a US source? I checked Twisted Throttle but they're showing Out Of Stock until further notice. :(:
    OJ-J likes this.
  2. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey @ZappBranigan...we're expecting centerstands for this bike to arrive towards the end of April! There's a few people in line for them - to make sure you get yours, head on over to our website to place your order online. The SKU is HPS.01.109.100 :-)
  3. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    First "long ride" today. About 225 miles through the Front Range of Colorado. Normally I stay out of the mountains until May at the earliest but it's been very warm here the last week or so, so I took a chance and I'm glad I did. Rode over Squaw Pass to the base of Mt. Evans (Evans is still closed for the season), then down through Idaho Springs, then all the way up the Peak to Peak highway to Estes Park and back through the Big Thompson canyon.

The bike did awesomely well. Only thing was, my bony ass didn't like the factory seat so that's on the list of things to update. Strange thing for me is that I almost always have a windshield but it wasn't until the last 40 mile stretch down I-25 that I really felt like I needed one today.

A few photos of the bike:

Squaw Pass, about 10,000' (3048 m) at this point. As you can see there's still a lot of snow in the high country:

squawpass.jpg

Longs Peak from the Peak to Peak highway:

longspeak.jpg

Estes Park. The historic Stanley Hotel (from the movie "The Shining") is in the background:

Estes Park.jpg
  4. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    A few post-ride observations:

1. This bike likes to be ridden FAST. It never lacked for power and always seemed to have more to give. Certainly it's capable of going a lot faster than I feel comfortable riding.

2. Comfort wise, except for the seat, it was fine. I thought my knees would be sore (I have terrible knees, 4 operations so far between the two of them) but they feel fine. Except for my butt (previously mentioned) there was nothing uncomfortable about the ride. Having said that, a slightly higher handlebar may be in my future.

3. I expected terrible MPG but at least at the speeds I'm riding in the mountains (probably 50 - 70 most of the time) it did surprisingly well. 45 for my first fuelup and over 50 for my 2nd. The low fuel light came on just as I rolled away from the gas station near Golden Gate State Park so I was a little nervous not knowing where the next gas station was (it was in Nederland, about 10 miles away.) I haven't checked the fuel tank size but it seems odd that it came on at 158 miles. By the time I fueled up at about 169 miles it only took 3.7 gallons sitting on the side stand (I don't have a center stand - yet.)

4. I've never been a "loud pipes save lives" guy, and man the Yoshimura exhausts on this thing may drive me to start wearing earplugs. Not neccessarily the volume but there is something about the pitch of this exhaust that's really unpleasant. I have half a mind to put the stock exhausts back on (the previous owner gave them to me.)

Anyway, so far I'm pretty happy with the bike. Given what I paid for it ($2500) I think it was a good buy for me and the nice thing is, if I ultimately decide I don't like it I'm pretty sure I can sell it for what I bought it for.
    racer1735 likes this.
  5. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I heard you can mess up the gearbox by riding too slow on this bike...

Mine has CBR900RR headers+a practically nothing IXIL silencer. Pinlock Earplugs every ride. They have a added side effect of making the Sena speakers sound normal instead of tinny. Exhaust sounds amazing and I can vouch for the pipes providing a good audio alert to inattentive drivers - a real safety issue in city traffic.
  6. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    You should absolutely be riding with earplugs anyways.
    Fenianbastard and Anzac like this.
  7. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot the last observation:

Hot Seat! The under-tail exhaust definitely makes the seat feel very warm. Early on in the ride that was nice because it was chilly. Later on, not so much.

I'm assuming there's not a "fix" for this without ditching the under tail exhaust altogether, which I'm reluctant to do. How do others deal with it? Just suck it up? I haven't ridden this bike on a hot summer day yet so that will remain to be seen whether it makes the bike uncomfortable for long rides.
  8. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aftermarket exhaust? I did NOT notice a hot seat on any of my 919's with OE mufflers...…………..
  9. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    My 919 and my previous daily bike, Yamaha FZ6, both have stock under seat exhausts. I’ve had a couple other bikes on and off with standard exhausts while owning those. To be honest, I’ve never actually noticed that the 919 or FZ6 seat was any warmer than any of my other bikes. :dunno

I hope you didn’t just ruin my 919 for me! :ksteve

Just remembered that my 919 has a Corbin seat, which uses a different seat pan and obviously different padding. It also several pounds more than the stock seat - this may be a factor in reducing exhaust heat to my butt.
  10. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    I actually have the stock cans (previous owner gave them to me) so I do have the option of putting them back on.
  11. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the original Y pipe and DAndDs when I got it. Then switched to a delkevic set up which included their Y pipe. Neither was hot to my buttocks.

My wife hated two up on that bike so quick we never even discussed heat on the seat so don't know about pillion.
  12. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike is so much smoother with OE cans as well....
  13. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I never noticed too much heat on the seat even while riding above 100 degrees F.
    But I had the stock exhaust. And they have a serious amount of heat shielding.
  14. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm baffled by that comment. You can rest your hand on the heat shield no matter how hot the bike is. This is by far the coolest running, and least heat radiating bike I've ridden by a significant margin.
  15. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the good folks at Twisted Throttle, the SW Motech C-Stand got here a lot faster than I expected. Looks like it will be pretty easy to install. I ordered a rear cargo shelf from eBay but that likely won't be here for more than a month. I'm wanting to mount a top case so I have a place to put my gear on long rides when I start off on a cold morning and then start peeling off layers.
  16. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    IMG_7837.jpg

SW Motech center stand installed yesterday. Actually, it was a lot easier to install that I thought it would be. I don’t think it took me more than 45 minutes. Toughest part, as I’m sure you can imagine, was getting the spring on. But I went to the Twisted Throttle website and they had a nice video of how to get that done using a long, heavy screwdriver.

I try to put center stands on all of my bikes. Back when I first started riding in 1982, almost all Japanese bikes came from the factory with Center stands. It wasn’t until sometime in the 1980s or 90s that they dropped center stands as standard equipment.

Center stands make chain adjustment and maintenance much, much easier. It’s also much easier to load up a bike with a lot of gear if it’s on the center stand versus leaning over on the side stand.

Now I just need to get that rear rack so I can put my top case on.
    ExTex and MattR302 like this.
  17. ST-DocLizard1

ST-DocLizard1 Serial Monogamist

Oddometer:
    I have stock cans on the '03 and Yoshimura on the '06.
    I see no difference in heat transfer via the seat, but then again, I ride with Darien pants year round.
  18. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    First oil change was a pleasant surprise.

I've been riding Triumph's since 2005 (01 Thunderbird, 08 Scrambler and my current '02 Bonneville.)

When I started looking up the parts I'd need to do the oil change on the Honda, I figured that since it was Sunday, I'd have to wait until Monday or Tuesday and find a motorcycle-specific shop to get the filter and crush washer.

So imagine my surprise when I found that the local Auto Zone/Advance Auto had filters and crush washers in stock on a Sunday! That's something I'd never experienced with a Triumph.

With the C-stand the oil change was a quick and reasonably easy experience (I used to say that an oil change on a motorcycle was: 10 minutes of preparation, 5 minutes of actual work, and an hour of cleanup. But I've gotten better at making less of a mess now.)

Looked up oil specs and it seems that 10W40 dino juice is the recommended oil. I had a knob at the Advance Auto parts try to tell me "they don't even make non-synthetic oil for motorcycles anymore." :csm (he actually had some on his shelf.)
  19. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Rear rack is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and I'll be swapping the Puig windshield from my Bonnie to the 919 this week. Plan on taking a nice long ride this weekend to see how the whole setup works.

About the only thing I don't like now is the forward-sloping seat. Seems to be trying to jam my junk into the tank. I think a seat re-sculpting is likely in my future plans.
  20. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....so apparently I'm the only 919/Hornet rider actively posting on ADV?

In that case I don't mind hijacking this thread for my latest mods in my attempt to turn the 919 into a mild sport/touring machine.

Latest mods: Back in 2020 when I had the Bonnie (2002 Bonneville) as my only bike the old Dart flyscreen started cracking so I thought I'd replace it with something a bit larger, and ended up with this screen from Puig. It fit OK, but I never really liked the look of it on the Bonnie:

Puig 01.jpg

Not sure why but it never really seemed "right" for the style of the bike. It also wobbled and flapped in high winds.

After getting the 919 in March I started thinking about a windscreen and looked at the Puig on the Bonnie. Since both bikes have a big 7" round headlight, I figured it would fit.

Not only does it fit, but IMO it looks much better on the 919 than it did on the Bonnie:

(NOTE: APOLOGIZE FOR THE CRAPPY PICS, YES, I KNOW MY GARAGE IS A MESS.)

Windshield 01.jpg

Windshield 02.jpg

Not only does it look better, it seems to do a lot less moving/wiggling in the wind. I think it may be mounted just a little wider than it was on the Bonnie (due to the thicker brackets holding the headlights on the 919) and that might stiffen up the shield a bit. Took a 300+ mile ride a couple weeks ago and the shield did GREAT!

I had also ordered a rear rack from a company called Recraft that sells on eBay. I had previously ordered a Recraft center stand but for some reason my order was cancelled and I ended up ordering an SW Motech stand from Twistedthrottle.com.

The Recraft rack was a lot less expensive than the SW Motech rack (which I think is out of production anyway.) Even paying $30 or so for shipping it was less than $120.

Only drawback is that it was sent apparently by donkey or slow boat from Ukraine. (Side note: As someone who grew up during the Cold War and served in the Army in Germany during the 1980's, I never imagined I'd be ordering motorcycle parts from a former Soviet republic.)

I ordered the rack in April and it finally got here in mid June. Still, it was well packaged (almost too well - took me quite a while to get all the packing and padding off) and it fits perfectly.

Rack 01.jpg

As you can see it sits on top of the rear grab bar and the grab bar is retained, which is nice (not that I ever ride with a passenger but I like to use the grab rail to help the bike up on the C-stand.)

The idea behind the rear rack was that it would allow me to put my el-cheapo Givi-knock-off top case on for some real luggage capacity:

Rack and top case.jpg

Much as I'd like to get racks for side cases, if I'm honest I'd have to admit that for 99% of the riding I do, the single top case (combined with a tank bag) is more than adequate. And really, if I were to go for a 4 day trip, I could easily throw a nylon bag onto the seat behind me and secure it with ROK-straps (as I've done before.)

So...windshield DONE, top case DONE, centerstand DONE. If the factory seat wasn't such a ball buster (or more accurately, a nut-masher) I'd be all set to do some long distance riding.

(I'll try to get some nicer pictures NOT in my messy garage this weekend if I get a chance.)
    1 wheel peel, OJ-J and MattR302 like this.