honda 919

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by speedisgood, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....so apparently I'm the only 919/Hornet rider actively posting on ADV?

In that case I don't mind hijacking this thread for my latest mods in my attempt to turn the 919 into a mild sport/touring machine.

Latest mods: Back in 2020 when I had the Bonnie (2002 Bonneville) as my only bike the old Dart flyscreen started cracking so I thought I'd replace it with something a bit larger, and ended up with this screen from Puig. It fit OK, but I never really liked the look of it on the Bonnie:

Puig 01.jpg

Not sure why but it never really seemed "right" for the style of the bike. It also wobbled and flapped in high winds.

After getting the 919 in March I started thinking about a windscreen and looked at the Puig on the Bonnie. Since both bikes have a big 7" round headlight, I figured it would fit.

Not only does it fit, but IMO it looks much better on the 919 than it did on the Bonnie:

(NOTE: APOLOGIZE FOR THE CRAPPY PICS, YES, I KNOW MY GARAGE IS A MESS.)

Windshield 01.jpg

Windshield 02.jpg

Not only does it look better, it seems to do a lot less moving/wiggling in the wind. I think it may be mounted just a little wider than it was on the Bonnie (due to the thicker brackets holding the headlights on the 919) and that might stiffen up the shield a bit. Took a 300+ mile ride a couple weeks ago and the shield did GREAT!

I had also ordered a rear rack from a company called Recraft that sells on eBay. I had previously ordered a Recraft center stand but for some reason my order was cancelled and I ended up ordering an SW Motech stand from Twistedthrottle.com.

The Recraft rack was a lot less expensive than the SW Motech rack (which I think is out of production anyway.) Even paying $30 or so for shipping it was less than $120.

Only drawback is that it was sent apparently by donkey or slow boat from Ukraine. (Side note: As someone who grew up during the Cold War and served in the Army in Germany during the 1980's, I never imagined I'd be ordering motorcycle parts from a former Soviet republic.)

I ordered the rack in April and it finally got here in mid June. Still, it was well packaged (almost too well - took me quite a while to get all the packing and padding off) and it fits perfectly.

Rack 01.jpg

As you can see it sits on top of the rear grab bar and the grab bar is retained, which is nice (not that I ever ride with a passenger but I like to use the grab rail to help the bike up on the C-stand.)

The idea behind the rear rack was that it would allow me to put my el-cheapo Givi-knock-off top case on for some real luggage capacity:

Rack and top case.jpg

Much as I'd like to get racks for side cases, if I'm honest I'd have to admit that for 99% of the riding I do, the single top case (combined with a tank bag) is more than adequate. And really, if I were to go for a 4 day trip, I could easily throw a nylon bag onto the seat behind me and secure it with ROK-straps (as I've done before.)

So...windshield DONE, top case DONE, centerstand DONE. If the factory seat wasn't such a ball buster (or more accurately, a nut-masher) I'd be all set to do some long distance riding.

(I'll try to get some nicer pictures NOT in my messy garage this weekend if I get a chance.)
    1 wheel peel, OJ-J and MattR302 like this.
  2. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I’m following along. Haven’t ridden my 919 in a few months - just need to find a couple hours free time to do some minor basic maintenance. Hopefully this weekend, I’m getting antsy to ride it.

Mine is also my sport-touring / occasional 2-up bike. It came with a Givi windscreen/fairing. It definitely helps with the wind blast, but it’s not perfect. Over the winter I picked up a National Cycle Street Shield EX for cheap to try out. I haven’t installed it yet, but held it up to the bike and it’s a lot bigger than I expected.

Mine came with a Corbin solo seat, but I was able to sell it and pick up a Corbin dual seat that I like better and come out even cost-wise. But if I was starting from scratch, I would absolutely go with a custom seat. I had my old FZ6 seat done by www.Terryscustomseats.com and it was awesome.

That rack does look good, but I’d be careful about how much weight you put in the topcase. I’ve read some reports of similarly styled and similarly mounted racks for other bikes that cracked with heavy loads in the case. The givi mount arms are uglier but longer, which adds extra strength with a mounting point further forward.
    56A88149-F10D-4A05-A0FA-13574A17BAB6.jpeg
    OJ-J likes this.
  3. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had mine out on about three 300mile-ish rides so far this year ripping around Southeast Ohio. After two years with her I think I'm getting the hang of going fast in a good way. (I still have much more good feeling carrying corner speed on the new R3 though) Will take her on a longer trip next week to wild'n wonderful WV.

She's been stripped down pretty well by the previous owner, so probably one of the lightest 919s around. I put a universal bikini fairing from Webike on and it helps aero when I have my big tankbag on, but I think I prefer the more even flow without it.

Even though I just got a new bike I've been wanting for a while, this one is here to stay.

20210626_094528.jpg
  4. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    The case is really more for carrying bulk than weight. Living in Colorado it's not unusual for rides to start off in ~40f degree (5c) temps in the morning and be up to 90f (32c) by the time I get home so the top case gives me the ability to start off in the morning "bundled up" and then to progressively shed layers as it gets warmer and have a place to put the gear I take off (riding pants, jacket liner, etc.) I doubt I'll ever have more than 10 - 15lbs (7kg) in it at any time.
  5. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
  6. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Rear rack has been sold but I have an SW Motech center stand, barely used. $175 + shipping. Will list it up in FM.