Honda AT windscreen maintenance

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by canyncarvr, Sep 13, 2019.

1. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The black cushion washers that are part of the windscreen assembly aren't good for more than one use it seems. At least, when I took my screen off to clean it and the otherwise inaccessible dash bits, all of then were mangled.

WASHER, SCREEN SETTING
    64205-166-610

How many owners replace those washers at $1.60 each? Or...use small o-rings maybe? The originals are squeezed to nothing after one installation.

I used hollow punches to cut replacements out of an inner tube.

I'm curious what other riders have come up with.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I found some softer o-rings at my local hardware store. I think it was a couple of bucks for a dozen. They work well and are reusable.
  3. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Don't tighten down the screws so much. If you're squishing these washers completely flat, I'd say the screws are too tight. I take my windscreen off to clean it several times in the last year and have never felt the need to replace any of the hardware.
    playinatwork likes this.
  4. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    Granted. Mine were flattened enough to be in pieces from the local dealer...assuming they put the windscreen on. Certainly they were tightened to excess. I know better.
  5. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I found a loose one on my bike. One missing.

Ordered a new set (all four) at the dealer. I was raped for $28.XX. I hope they'll not loosen this time or i'll be very unhappy.
  6. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    You are referring to the setting washer? That piece missing shouldn't give you anything loose. Or a screw was missing?

Well nuts are available from other places than Honda. I bought 10 'em from the bay.

M5 5mm Rubber Well Nut Windscreen & Fairing 10mm 3/8 Wellnuts - 10 pcs for $4.

As noted above, OEM online retailers like zilla have the setting washers for less than $2 each. You have to pay for shipping on low $$ orders, but you will be way ahead of a $28 charge...and get them in your mailbox.

Button stainless screws should be available at a hardware store. Online they are less than $2, too.

If you got four SETS..the stainless screws, well nuts, nylon and setting washers, $24 isn't awful.
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

It was all the hardware required to screw the windscreen back on. I didn't want to go searching for this here and that there. Bike is only six months old!*

*with 18XXX miles. :lol2:imaposer:p3rry
  8. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    Too tight and fitments get damaged. Too loose and they fall out.

Maybe they have to be 'tight just right'....and a bit of blue loctite. I did use that...and it may be a mistake I'll find next time I take the screen off. There isn't a lot holding the well nuts in place. Loctite may make the whole mess spin.