Honda AT wiring

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by canyncarvr, Dec 27, 2019.

1. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this a true statement: The OEM Honda heated grips controller plugs into the same socket as the aftermarket PC-8 DC distribution block is intended to use?

In which case, using that socket for heated grips means you cannot install the PC-8?

Thanks for any input.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The only connector at the rear of the bike that the OEM heated grips use is a 10-pin under the left rear cowl piece, and this is the controller plug. All other connections are made under the left and right front cowl pieces. At least on my '18.

If your bike has something plugged into the 6p connector EB seems to make a splitter.
    https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Honda_CRF1000L/honda_crf1000l.html
  3. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    The PN for the '17 grip heat kit is:

P/N 08T72-MJP-G52

It is listed as the PN for only the '16-17. The picture of the connector does not look big enough to be a 10-pin housing. Yours is likely different.

The PN I find listed for the '18 grip heat is:

P/N 08T70-MJN-A01

I don't know what connector the grips I ordered will use; mine are 'in the mail'.

Eastern Beaver says:
    If your '18 (mine is a '17) has a 10-pin plug there and it is 'The only connector..', that seems to be at odds with the EB statement. I do understand there was considerable fussing by Honda with the grip heat issue. How that relates to a change of style/number of pins of connectors I have no idea. Ex: Earlier grip kits had an interference filter that had to be scabbed into the wiring harness. That part/procedure is gone. **edit** I just got my grip heat kit (1-4-20). The last remark is incorrect. Although the picture(s) of the kit and the attachment pieces (separate PN) do not show the filter (they used to), the filter is still part of the kit AND the instruction list I have still references the install of the filter by splicing it into the bike wiring harness. Said install calls for wrapping the whole mess up with tape. That is quite the kluge approach for a $16,000+ bike. The controller I got does indeed have a 10-pin connector.

I was aware that EB made a splitter.

Someone with a '17 Twin that installed the listed OEM kit AND put in an EB PC8 would be the best bet info-wise. The bike (wiring), the grip kit, and the PC8 have all apparently changed over time.
  4. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Other than the OEM controller (10P) there is an optional (OP) plug on the same side (towards the rear, somewhat hidden)
    Eastern Beaver harness plugs into the 4P Option plug and is separate from the OE plug; so you can install both- no problem.
    Hope you're grips are toasty :)
    Mine have a mind of its own- quite temperamental or mental, lol.
  5. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that verification. I found a diagram in the wiring section of the manual that shows those two (same location) plugs. I like hearing from another that THEY seen 'em too.

I'll find out pretty quick. I'm waiting on some input from a Honda dealership tech. I'd like to find out how the '18 harness (the '18 grip heat kit does NOT have the choke/harness patch) differs from the '17 harness for that function. If I can get a reasonable answer as to the whys and wherefores of hacking into the harness to put the thing in, I might skip it. Chances are good I'll not get an answer to the question.

Yours being a '16, depending on when you had the OEM grips installed, you did or did not have the choke put in? Do you know which kit was installed and that the choke was indeed put in?

I am on the warm end of subjective opinion, rarely riding in cold weather. Hereabouts, when it's cold it's usually also wet...which translates to ice. No thanks to riding on the street in those conditions. What others find as insufficient heating-wise is maybe from a temperature condition I'll never be in.
  6. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    I knew about the issues prior to ordering the grips to install myself.
    Mine do have the noise filter (choke)
    DC circuits do create interferences to other devices that need a clean signal.
    Since the white wire is related to the starter relay, I'd assume there will be lots of it.
    Shielding it should be better than not. (easier to get it done, while you have access to the loom)
  7. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    That is good to know, too. My wiring diagram is printed on a single page and a low enough res that even with a 10x loupe it is unreadable. I didn't know what the white 'code' was for.

It is normal 'good practice' to NOT include power conductors with signal conductors in wiring layouts because of possible (likely) problems. With new bikes being so electrically and electronically operated and likely sensitive to such noise, running anything power related in a signal harness is stupid. I would have been glad to share that opine with Honda had they just ASKED me about it. ;)

Wish I could hear what Honda had to say about it; exactly what that noise tamping attempt was supposed to accomplish.
  8. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Oxford heated grips were simple to install, work great, and cost less than half what the OEM ones do. Am I missing something special about the Honda ones?
  9. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    Yes. Amongst other things, there was no question asked about Oxford, how much better they are, or how simple they are to install.
    neanderthal likes this.
  10. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then you totally missed my point: Why all the fuss over the Honda ones when there's a known easier and better solution?
  11. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    I didn't miss anything.

There are lots of threads and posts that argue the point of heated grips, which to use, which is better. Those are not this.

I asked a question about the plug-in point for the Honda grips and if that interfered with the PC-8 install. Nothing Oxford there. The question of different OEM kits and how they differ, the purpose of the choke install evolved. Nothing Oxford there.

I have made the decision to use OEM grips for a number of reasons, none of them relevant to this thread. The extent to which anyone else considers that a stupid or ignorant decision is also not relevant to this thread. That barn is already fired, the horse is gone.

It is good you are happy with your Oxford grip install that is a known easier and better solution. Again, not relevant to this thread.

If you sense this to be a snippy, ass-hatted response, you totally miss any sense of any thing I said.
  12. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Heating grips is a simple exercise in converting DC current to heat.
    Not much that is special really. If the Honda grips work like they were supposed to, choice would be a no brainer.
    The only thing special you get with the OEM grips is that it uses the dash indicators and the prewired loom that goes to waste if not used.
    It shows exaclty what your heat setting is and conveniently disappears to show the clock- no aftermarket grips can do that.
    I like the thumb control S/W on the grip much better than the handlebar space taken up by Oxford switches.