Honda CB1100...OR to Ill, time to visit Mom

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pdedse, Aug 25, 2016.

1. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg At the border I filled three 16oz bottles with gas to be sure. Last time I road thru Burns Junction the station was closed and I nearly ran out when I was on my Sportster with a 4.2 gallon tank. The cb has 3.8 gallons and I was averaging 43mpg in the morning. That should be a 163 mile range and maps says 149 between McD and Burns. After 50 miles I added the extra to be sure. Bike says I still had 24 miles when I got to a station in Burns. image.jpeg
    lcnlcnx likes this.
  2. pdedse

Oddometer:
    On 78 towards Burns, one "road less travelled" road... maybe 20 cars in the 90 miles to Burns image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Agriculture once you get close to Burns image.jpeg No food photos yet but it was time to welcome myself back to OR image.jpeg
  4. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Called 4 hotels and they were all booked! And it's a Thursday! Beggers can't be choosers image.jpeg If the bike is still there in the morning, it's off for Bend image.jpeg
  5. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read through your entire report thus far and I'm really enjoying it. Loved seeing all the photos of the country and all those churches. The Capital building is beautiful; glad you shared photos of that one too. I especially enjoy photos and stories about your family and childhood memories. Life is so precious and you're living it right! Stay safe.
    pdedse likes this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    have you tried cruising at various constant speeds, ie-55-60 . found my 40+ at 80 was a 60mpg at 55-60.
    Have always had a econo cruise speed just incase, also none of my bikes have anything more than a reserve indicator which I dont like to use.
  7. Diggers99

Diggers99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You must still be in Big Sky Country here!!
  8. Diggers99

Diggers99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read through your RR. I went to Washington state 10 years ago, only as far as Yakima. I love all the big sky, remote country shots. I share your enthusiasm for long lonely desolate stretches. One day.... I have a CB1300, so a similar bike to yours. I'm also riding vicariously! Looks like a great ride, good on ya mate!!
    pdedse likes this.
  9. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment, Kodanja. It's good to know you like the photos. I do enjoy the architecture of the churches, specially those limestone structures found in the midwest. It's something that I grew up with in Kansas and I've always thought it would be neat to have a country house made of stone. Maybe something like this to fix up (not my photo) image.jpeg This trip is all about scenic views and catching up with mom and sibs...I've had a great time with both. I prolly don't have one people person pic that I don't know in this rr.
  10. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I did trim the speed down to 65 from 70-75, but I'm not sure if it helped because I added the extra gas so I didn't bother checking mileage when I arrived. I've never gotten more than 52mpg unladen with luggage and 65-70mph...I have maybe 35lbs luggage and I weigh 180, have averaged around 44mpg this trip with no wind...against wind, 37mpg. Not an issue in the midwest, but in Utah, NV, MT, OR and I'm sure other places, it's something to keep in mind.
  11. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I LOVE "big sky country" whether it be in MT or elsewhere
  12. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Thanks Diggers99...only because we both like big sky and desolate stretches, keep me in mind when you do visit OR if you need a stopover.
  13. pdedse

Oddometer:
    22 days after starting a trip to visit my mom I woke up to my last day of riding. Another cold beginning and got on the road by 8:45. For the first time in weeks, I didn't have to check the map, just had to talk with the gas station owner where I was getting coffee if there was another station after Burns before Bend. It was neat as I walked in, the owner, two other guys and sheriff were all talking hunting elk. Owner confirmed for me that Riley 27 miles up the road has a station. I think the CB would have made the 140 miles, but I ride more at ease not thinking about it. So this is the stop should you need to fill between Burns and Bend 2016 mc 1020.JPG I've heard it repeated frequently in ride reports that the adventure begins when the breakdown, or some trouble arises. I was getting worried that I wasn't really having a real adventure because everything was happening too smoothly. Something had to happen...right? 2016 mc 1023.JPG Baling season and hawk looking for breakfast below 2016 mc 1022.JPG
  14. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I've been on this stretch of hiway 20 a couple times before and have always seen signs of deer. First a rather fresh looking one, quite bloody all poured out over the road. Then 5 miles later, blue lights in the distance and when I get close, a couple of sheriff cars (I wonder if it was the sheriff that I saw earlier), an SUV with an impressive dent right smack in the middle of the grill, an elderly gent in front talking with one of the sheriffs...but no sign of what I'm assuming was a deer incident. Then a few miles more and this guy... 2016 mc 1026.JPG
    They didn't look very small. Then I saw a heard of about 20 laying in the fields about a 100 meters off the edge of the hiway. It starts to get to you after a while. 2016 mc 1024.JPG
  15. pdedse

Oddometer:
    A few shots of the sage brush 2016 mc 1029.JPG 2016 mc 1031.JPG I feel happy out here... 2016 mc 1030.JPG
  16. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Getting closer to Bend 2016 mc 1032.JPG 2016 mc 1034.JPG And then, Bend. And an end to the expanse that is eastern OR, NV, UT, CO and KS. Not to get too carried away, but it felt like I had just crossed the ocean on a sailing ship. After lunching one last time at Subway for nostalgia sake (12th time, I think!), made my way through a very annoying Bend--just because of all the "rush of traffic". After all the unfettered hiway travel of the last few days, it was difficult to sit in traffic. 20 west to Sisters and some of the mountains began to look familiar 2016 mc 1035.JPG 2016 mc 1036.JPG
  17. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Lots of traffic going up the pass, but after it sorted itself out, coming down the other side was nice. Something different about the scenery now 2016 mc 1038.JPG I stayed on 20 where it splits with 22 to head for Corvalis to visit my son who is about to begin his jr. year at Or. State. But first a rest at Foster Lake. 2016 mc 1039.JPG 2016 mc 1040.JPG 2016 mc 1041.JPG Had dinner with him and a trip to Fred Meyers to stock up on his college supplies, and then, off for Gresham, the last 100 miles, mostly on that greatest of OR adventure roads, I-5. Made it home by 8pm with just a hint of dusk in the west. So no, no incidents. No stories of overcoming some great roadside surprise. I'll take it. Now, it's time to refocus on things at home. I start my 18th year of teaching at a community college in another week. Mom says to come visit again next year. Hmmm, I haven't been to North Dakota.
  18. lcnlcnx

lcnlcnx 1.21 gigawatts

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your RR!
    Thanks for sharing
  19. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Great RR. It's refreshing to see those about rides around this great country of ours. Not to take anything away from those adventurers wandering around the world but there is something to say for those taking the roads less traveled in the US. Thanks for sharing man. Much appreciated.
    rascalman likes this.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Loved it. Thanks.