Honda CB1100...OR to Ill, time to visit Mom

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pdedse, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Gotchile

Gotchile Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loved following your adventure, next time you are in Kansas, let me know.
  2. chipguy1

chipguy1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to bring us with you. I really enjoyed the trip. Thanks again.
    Tom
  3. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Thanks chipguy1, Gotchile, RedDogAlberta, IcnIcnX and Blackdog for the comments.

Final comments on the the CB1100 for long distance...I bought mine new in Jan and had put 1600 miles on it prior to the trip. The dealership did the 600 mile because they gave me a good price on that at purchase time. So there wasn't much bike prep to do. I checked the chain play before leaving and it was on the tighter side, right at 25mm, I believe the spec is 25-35mm. After 2500 miles I checked it again in Illinois, and there wasn't any change. I did the oil change right at 4000 miles and I oiled chain at the end of each day's ride 'cause my daily average was 425 miles over the 13 riding days. Oil change was easy-peasy, got 4 liters back in as I rocked the bike back and forth over 20 minutes to let as much oil as possible drain out. All good for return trip. I checked the chain tension again in Denver on the way home, still right at 25, maybe 27mm. Haven't checked it since I got home. So 7200 miles on the bike now, and the chain was adjusted at the 600 mile point, and nothing after that. Rear tire is squared off a bit from the hiway riding, but both front and rear seem to have plenty left, I'd say at least 2k miles if not more.

I'm 6'4" with 34" inseams. The bike is a bit short for me, but so are most other bikes. I used two seat pads totaling 1.5" on the first half of the trip, and other 1" pad on the way back. That third one helped a lot, taking end of day soreness away. What else can be said about the bike? It's awesome! At first, after purchasing, I was wanting a little louder exhaust. But on this trip, with earplugs in, full face helmet, colder days had on scarf type of thing to keep the chill out...all that made for a very quiet ride. I could hear some wind, but barely, barely hear the purr of the engine. That was kind of cool, especially out in the long stretches of nowhere. I felt like a bird flying through the desert. I have no windshield on the bike. I've ridden just a few bikes over the years with, and they all simply force the wind right smack into the top of my forehead. Now on windy days (mostly the whole way back) I paid the price, but as long as I moved around on the bike, stretched my neck a bit at the gas stops, walk around some at all the stops, I was good. I feel like my neck muscles are stronger than they've ever been before! Gas mileage...who cares, really. I suppose all loaded up 45 was common. Windy days, low of 37. Coming down the west side of the Cascades (drop from 8000 to 1000ft) got me 57. Mainly I checked for when I would have to ride a long stretch with few gas stations. A couple times I filled some water bottles with an extra 30-40oz of gas just to be sure, after 40-50 miles I would empty them in the tank just for peace of mind. So the '14 standard's 3.8 gallon tank was fine by me. I didn't take the cb on any real stretch of unpaved road, just wasn't the trip for that type of thing. But very nice ride at any speed really. Did 70-80 most of the time on the bigger hiways...bike hums, same at 65. I had little interest in sustaining any speed over 80mph.

Really no issues at all with this bike and taking it for long rides. Great trip!
  4. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    excellent ride report... a few years old, but excellent none the less!
  5. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Agreed ........... excellent RR.
  6. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Well thanks, 'tis a bit old, but your comment brought it back for me and now with down time it was fun to look through that trip again. Had been thinking about repeating this trip for this summer, plans even to visit my daughter who was to have an internship in NJ for this summer--so a near coast-to-coast trip--but now with all the virus thing, might have to move that back a year.
    xcsks and motowest like this.
  7. gwan2cruz

gwan2cruz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just read you ride report, great photographs and "I enjoyed riding along" I like how you write and include your memories and photographs to add to your trip. This is what motorcycling is all about. Ride safe and enjoy you future trips.
  8. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Thanks; it's been 4+ years...mom is still alive and well at 95, so I had in mind to repeat this last summer (of '20), but that got delayed due to covid. However, I'm making plans to visit her again summer of '21. So while mom is still there, my '14 CB1100 standard isn't. It was giving me some difficult idle issues, so I traded it in for this, which I had wanted to try out:

[​IMG]

While nice, I realized the Street Twin was even a bit more cramped than my CB1100, and for hiway traveling, I missed the heft of the CB...so I sold the ST and went back to the CB, this time a '17ex:

[​IMG]

I've had it nearly 3 years now, about 11k miles to break it in, and I think it's ready to stretch it's legs beyond the Northwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last time it was OR-ID-WY-S.Dakota and then meandering south by southeast to Illinois. This time I want to pass through N.Dakota, MN, WI, and then head around north side of Lake Michigan before heading south and looping back to Champaign. We'll see how round 2 goes if indeed it takes off.
    TonyKZ1, Smidty, WalterMitty2 and 3 others like this.
  9. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride and write up

Thanks from NZ :clap:thumb

S
  10. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Been away for awhile due to life getting in the way of everything else. Your story resonated with me for some reason. I read it a few times just to make sure I caught all of the details of it. Just my opinion but doing a ride like that is an adventure in every sense of the word. Ya dun well. Thanks for sharing the ride with us.
  11. careycsg

careycsg Tired. Almost ready to put RE in front of it Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sharing this report is greatly appreciated. May God Bless your sweet mother and other family members. I had a 1978 CB750F and working as a sales manager at a Honda dealership in almost had me buying an 1100. Your writing was easy to understand and the pictures of all your old memories were very nice. Hope you can do a report in 2021.
  12. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I hope you can do the trip this summer. If you do, check out the site below for some ideas about looping around Lake Michigan....

https://www.lakemichigancircletour.com/