Honda CB1100...OR to Ill, time to visit Mom

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pdedse, Aug 25, 2016.

1. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    By 2pm I was already in Oberlin where I thought I would spend the night, much too early to stop for the day. My 1.5" additional seat cushion I added from my brother's garage in Topeka was helping to reduce fatigue, a call to my sister in Denver who said make it if you can encouraged me to scruntch down and plow forward. Can't say enough about 36...two lane yes, but in perfect condition and practically ZERO traffic, ok pass a car every 25 miles...or 50 image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. rebelmark

rebelmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sub'd
  3. pdedse

Oddometer:
    After Oberlin it was another hour to St Francis, the last town on 36 before the Colorado border. Had I realized how few fill-up opportunities there were going to be in eastern CO, I might have filled a few bottles with gas, but the map app said I was only 3 hrs to Denver, and since there was a time zone change meaning a little longer day than I had been thinking, time to continue.,,Idalia no gas, Joes no, Cope nope, Anton nothing, finally at an intersection called Last Chance there was a place but it was closed. Fortunately, it was the type of unmanned station where you use your card after hours and it accepted my card. I was down to the last gallon with another 60 to go before 36 connects with 70, 35 some miles before Denver.
  4. pdedse

Oddometer:
    The gas station that saved me image.jpeg Remember the final scene in the Tom Hanks movie Castaway where he's at the crossroads in the middle of nowhere, tx, trying to decide what to do after dropping off the Fed ex package at the country chic's farm? There's so many of them here! Now I bet a lot of people think he went back to the farm chic, but I prefer to to beieve that Chuck bought himself a motorcycle and rode around the world to make up for the four years he lost on that island image.jpeg image.jpeg
    lcnlcnx and RedDogAlberta like this.
  5. pdedse

Oddometer:
  6. pdedse

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg A heard of antelope, there were about 20, but this guy was the only one that stayed behind.
  7. pdedse

Oddometer:
    With a full tank of gas it was easy to return to the beauty of the plains, mile after mile of agriculture and nothing interspersed by a few small communities...and then, a race track! image.jpeg Soon 36 caught up with 70 west to Denver and I was a little sad. Maybe flat to long rolling hills with little in the way to obstruct the view is boring to some, but I love it, the openness, the sky, the long stretches of lonely hiways...I'm reminded of the immenseness of the ocean that says "you can't tame me, one litte breakdown and you're mine!" ...ok, a bit over the top perhaps, but you know what I mean.

By 7 I had arrived and my sister laid out the welcome mat image.jpeg A long riding day at 580 miles, but a very rewarding one image.jpeg From their balcony image.jpeg
    lcnlcnx likes this.
  8. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Sunday and today Monday I've got some down time in Denver, which is such a pretty town with low humidity and lots of brilliant light. My sis lives across from where the Nuggets and Broncos live. image.jpeg This looks like a good street to celebrate the Bronco victories, even tho I prefer the Chiefs being from KS image.jpeg My sis has her office in this area just 5 blocks from where she lives. I' not much of a fan of living in the heart of a big city, but if you're going to do so her setup is nice: walks to work every day of the year, the condo has a wonderful exercise room, running and bike trails as your back yard, tasty restaurants all over... the only thing she complains about is how the legalization of marijuana has changed the atmosphere negatively in her view. Says that many of her neighbors and community members share that view.. I found that interesting because OR has legalized as well. image.jpeg I like these: rent a bikes that you can use and leave at different stations throughout town image.jpeg
  9. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I-25 image.jpeg The confluence of the Platte and Cherry Creek image.jpeg The Platte runs near my long gone grandpa's farm in Neb...lazy running river image.jpeg
    lcnlcnx likes this.
  10. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Today likely is my last down day till I get home in OR, 3 possibly 4 more riding days. Wanted to explore a bit, but not get too far on the bike as there will be plenty of seat time tomorrow. Sis recommended hiway 6 west. Was planning on going 30 miles west on it but grey clouds were building up and I didn't want to deal with rain quite yet. I suspect I'll get a fair share of water over the next few days image.jpeg It is a beautiful canyon road, 40mph, but far too much traffic image.jpeg Still, quite pretty image.jpeg
  11. pdedse

Oddometer:
    At 10 miles clouds darkened even more and thst was good enough for me image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg First time I've ridden the bike unencumbered with the luggage on this trip. A few rain drops chased me back the way I came, filled it with gas, oiled chain and checked oil level and tire pressure...ready to go for tomorrow.
    yokesman, rascalman and EZMoney like this.
  12. CurDog

CurDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man! You have done a great job narrating your stories with pictures. This RR is a great example of getting out and seeing our great country. Also appreciate you sharing your family visits with us. Thanks!
    pdedse likes this.
  13. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Thanks CurDog, good to know you enjoy the RR. I've done several in MX and Central America and it's fun because everything is new and exciting...but on this trip I'm familiar with many aspects, thankfully there's so much out there so there's always something new.
  14. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Was watching the news last night and it looks like 4" of snow fell in Yellowstone and for today temps were to hover around freezing. I was going to head that way, but that's a bit much for me. Decided I'd settle on 70 west from Denver...not off the beaten path, but the temps were falling and rain seemed possible in many directions. I can handle some cold and some rain but I don't enjoy both with a full day of riding. Actually, I am sort of a cold weather wimp on the bike. Once I get cold, it's hard to warm up.

Lefr Denver by 8am and within 25 miles the cool, misty fog swallowed me up, but only for about 15 miles, then it cleared and while I was feeling the 40 degree temp, I had also prepared with 2 pair socks, long pants, sweatpants and shorts under my riding pants...t-shirt, 2 long sleave shirts under my coat, scarf for neck and gloves with rain gloves over them...I was good! image.jpeg 11,000 some feet at Frisco after the Eisenhower tunnel
  15. pdedse

Oddometer:
  16. pdedse

Oddometer:
    A few miles later image.jpeg image.jpeg I've been on 70 a number of times travelling from Ks to CO, but never beyond Denver, so this was new for me. Beautiful, ridiculously so, but I was glad to begin the descent
  17. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride. It did snow a bit in Yellowstone but in Jackson we just got alittle rain overnight. Some snow in the mountains over 9000 ft. 67* here this afternoon. Let me know if you come through this way.
  18. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Hey, JH, thanks for the comment and update on the weather there. The idea of going to Yellowstone was "time and weather permitting", and I'm starting to feel the pressure of both, so I think I' m going to ride a bit more directly to Portland via northern NV and southern OR. Greatly appreciate it though.
  19. pdedse

Oddometer:
    My sis said I should stop through Vail, but I had just gassed up 30 miles prior and was enjoying the long, smooth descent towards Grand Junction. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  20. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Stopped at Glenwood Springs for yet another Subway sandwich, but this time it was not to be a qick lunch... just before me a group of Amish? from Indiana were ordering for their group, some 15 foot long sandwiches! Nearly decided fo leave, but they were a cheerful bunch , very apologetic for making everybody else wait so long. Don't know what they all ordered but the bill came out to $178!

The canyons before GS are gorgeous image.jpeg