Honda CB1100...OR to Ill, time to visit Mom

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pdedse, Aug 25, 2016.

1. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Finally, several miles after G.Springs I started feeling the heat image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Must have crossed the Colorado 5,6 times before realizing this was THE Colorado that becomes the Grand Canyon down river
  2. pdedse

Oddometer:
    About a half hour before Grand Junction the clouds began to threaten a downpour, but the hiway turned away each time the rain came close. Peeled off colthes in GJ and kept raingear close at hand image.jpeg image.jpeg Lots of CO hiway patrol pulling people over
  3. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Into Utah! How long would we play cat and mouse the rains amd I? image.jpeg Too long, because a desert storm pounced on me with a fury of wind and rain that made me pull over and just take it, a car in front of me did the same. Then the rain lightened allowing me to continue and soon it was dry, only to repeat itself 10 minutes later.
  4. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Price, UT was where I was to finish today but when I got to Green River the radar and weather maps were showing thunderstorms from 4pm till 11 in Price. GR was dry. why not stop for the day (a little after 4) and get to know GR? A good move because it game me time go go for a run and explore a bit. I might just retire in a desert town someday... image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  5. pdedse

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg I fell in love with the AZ desert when I first laid eyes on it...the sweeping views are always made more spectacular with the rain clouds and lightening of which there was plenty. The UT desert is no less thrilling when there are storms image.jpeg image.jpeg
  6. pdedse

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg It was time to look for a place to eat...saw a Mexican restaurante that looked simple. Had almost finished when ear spltting cracks of thunder convinced me to return lickety split back to motel. The clothes are drying over the AC as I type.
  7. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Took my time getting ready this morning to let the localized storms move on...by 9:15 I pulled away from the motel image.jpeg The hiway was still wet but just a couple miles west of Green River I took 191 towards Price image.jpeg image.jpeg
    xcsks likes this.
  8. pdedse

Oddometer:
    So much to explore...would love to bring my KLR out here for a week-long camping trip image.jpeg image.jpeg
  9. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Leaving Price meant a rise in elevation...looked like it wasn't going to be a warm ride image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  10. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I could have stopped every minute for a photo as 6 west meandered up to 8000 and then back down towards I-15. Haven't run into much of this on the trip, just a 5 minute wait image.jpeg Soon it was on to Provo to see which way for Elko, NV image.jpeg
  11. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Traffic was moving so well on 15 that I took it to 201 west, and then on to 80. Salt Lake... image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  12. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Short rain bursts came and went, nothing too serious image.jpeg image.jpeg I love the long stretches and don't get bored with the massiveness of the desert.
  13. pdedse

Oddometer:
    The salt flats...actually these were about 20 miles before Bonneville...very cool image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Beardoge likes this.
  14. pdedse

Oddometer:
  15. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Just enough gas stations to not have to worry too much. Checked the weather forecast in Wendover for Elko and was a bit surprised to see 55 degree temps while Wendover still was in the low 70s. Must be some higher elevations. Put on another few layers under the mc jacket and good thing because I stayed just warm enough. A bit of cold, light rain, but after Wells the sun came out and the evening desert ride was sublime image.jpeg Elko at sunset image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  16. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Woke up to 36 degrees, but clear skies which I haven't seen for the last few dats. Weather map says 45 by 830 which seems more reasonable.
  17. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Dang...trip is coming to an end...I feel like I could ride Utah and Nevada for a couple months, but it would have to be on the klr650 with a spare gallon gas container. So many roads to explore...but this trip was all about visiting family and I was able to do a fair share of that and test the cb1100 for distance travel.

Ran for two miles and other exercises while waiting for the morning to warm up. I like to work out 4-5 times per week and it's hard to fit in with the riding 400+ miles per day, but making a little morning or evening time to stretch, run or walk makes sitting easier. Left Elko by 915 and with the layers it was just enough
  18. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Outside of Elko...was reading one of the history info stops about the Humbolt river and the California trail...I can't imagine straying too far from the water life line that was the river. I never thought about how they stored water once they had no easy access to rivers...sign nentioned "water barrels" I hpoe they had enough image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  19. pdedse

Oddometer:
    In the midwest it was the high temps and humidity that would tire you out, but this morning, that was not an issue image.jpeg image.jpeg
  20. pdedse

Oddometer:
    After lunch at Winnemucca, took 95 north for McDermitt and the NV-OR border image.jpeg image.jpeg