Honda CB500F on dirt near Santa Cruz

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chadgol, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Chadgol

Chadgol Motocamp Adventure on YouTube

Oddometer:
    *Full YouTube video in the works for my channel: MotoCamp Adventure*

My coworker had a 2013 CB500F sitting around in his apartment's parking lot area after someone tried to steal it by mangling the ignition module with a screwdriver or other various tools. This bike has been low sided by a previous owner, and showed it by a nice gouge in the plastic fairing and some odd denting on the exhaust. It had been sitting for well over a year and a half in his parking lot before I offered to fix it and buy it off of him. $1000 and a few hours later to replace the ignition module on a steering-locked bike, and it was mine.

IMG_2959.JPG

Fast forward to a few days back from this post, and I had the shower(beer) thought of taking this bike off road. It's got a bald Q3 on the back with a plug in it somewhere, a beat to hell chain that's seemingly never been cleaned and lubed, the OEM spring rate for someone who weighs maybe 85lbs soaking wet, and a hella old tank of California gas. What could go wrong?

My friend lolibater asked if I wanted to do a ride in Metcalf with our R1200GSs, but I suggested we try this instead. The next day (today) we ended up on Buzzard Lagoon Road in Watsonville, CA.

The road to get to it passes Demonstration Forest. Everyone and their mothers were driving there with 4 mountain bikes on a trailer hitch mount to go shred the gnar. We even saw a trailer hitch on a smol Miata. I made a mental note to come back sometime with the 2x2 Cycles rack equipped GS and my entry-level hardtail mountain bike locked on the back. I don't own a car because my priorities are questionable. Stop judging me.

Anyway, now that you (probably didn't) read that shoulder-height wall of text, here's some coolpix and videyuhs of the road and what peak adventure bike performance looks like.

IMG_2936.jpeg

Right after the video above, we passed two oncoming dirtbike bois and I gave them the universal biker wave, most likely making them think there were two more riders behind us. This is a habit I need to kill while off road ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_2946.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

Didn't drop it one time. After the ride, we quickly looked at the radiator for leaks, and the tires for weird wear. The rear actually got a bit slashed on a root or something, but it wasn't a deep enough cut to be of concern. Literally no damage done to this purpose-built modern marvel.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading/looking at this on the toilet. Make sure to add one of these bikes to your stable today because Ewan and Charley are about to release Long Way Diagonal and they ride this exact motorcycle.

Attached Files:

2. Chadgol

Chadgol Motocamp Adventure on YouTube

Oddometer:
    Full youtube video:
    1Scorpion likes this.
  3. 1Scorpion

1Scorpion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your video !!! Looks like you had a blast. I’ve been considering making a scrambler . Your video encouraged me to go ahead with my plan.