Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the same form and filled it out.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
  3. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    That was my most significant objection to the X...and I have a 30" inseam.
  4. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much ground clearance do the Rally Raid guys think it will gain?
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Don't forget, people, this isn't a Vendors thread.
  6. Dave1899

Dave1899 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Vendor?
  7. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Don't make me work at this. I'm still a slacker. Feel free to hit the blame button if you see something that needs to be moved.
  8. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Now look what you did. :huh
  9. Kray

Kray Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a wonderful and peaceful little CB500X oasis here away from the pointers and blame games. Please leave us alone and see yourself out if all you want is trouble and nitpicking.

This is exactly why I loath privately moderated forums. They repress and squash growth when they see it blossoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
  11. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buzzkill.
  12. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod :nod :nod

It WAS a nice, friendly party, with everybody getting along.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I'd say.

The whole purpose of posting the development photos in this thread is to get feedback from owners about what direction to take with the various elements...

Once the parts are production ready, you can be sure that KTMmitch will have a dedicated thread in Vendors in exactly the same way as his does for the Rally Raid KTM 690 parts they sell.

Jx
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The world is full of whingers full of themselves!:huh
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Let's try and keep this positive folks.

I think the fundamental problem here is that because Rally Raid Products are ultimately a commercial company (albeit run by enthusiastic adventure and rally riders), some people feel the lines are blurred between what is genuine R&D (and excitement that something actually works and they want to share that with you!), and what might be considered some sort of surreptitious pre-marketing?

I am sure the actual owners (and potential owners) of this bike appreciate what Rally Raid (shhhhh, whisper their name) are trying to achieve by being part of this specific discussion forum - and that is to gain valuable feedback from genuine and already experienced end-users, as to what direction to take with their developments, especially at this still primary stage...

Certainly while Rally Raid are excellent engineers, they are not too arrogant to think that what they might be able to come up with on their own will be the defining answer for everyone - and while they are not interested in creating a substandard product 'designed by committee', at the same time they are aware that ultimately any final specification needs to properly satisfy the vast majority of end-users desires.

Home-spun solutions to various issues are all very entertaining to read, but I would suggest that what the vast majority of CB500X owners actually want to see happen is a legitimate product manufacturer step up and actually provide a properly engineered solution to their requests?

Obviously once a particular product specification has been finalised, that will be promoted through a dedicated thread in Vendors - however, I'm sure we would all agree that as part of the evolution of this bike and the diversity of ownership continues, that meaningful and useful two-way communication can continue in this thread too.

Jx
  16. Mourist

Mourist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To whomever decided it was a good idea to remove the discussuion surrounding the most anticipated product package from this thread, please use common sense and try to read at least a few posts in the thread before removing posts that are extremely valuable to the owners community. I fully agree that the completed product should not be advertised here, but asking for feedback from the target group must be considered both ok and a good thing?

End of rant
  17. hillbillyhonda

hillbillyhonda I'd Rather be Riding

Oddometer:
    Just dreaming....What if Honda had put the 750 V-Twin from the Shadow in the "X" frame, with a 19" front wheel. I know that would be getting close to an Africa Twin, but dang!, what an amazing package that would be. I use to have a Shadow 750 that was chain drive. In a light chassis, that motor was awesome- tire smoking, torque pulling, ground pounding little twin.
  18. Falp

Falp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easier to buy a NC750X ;)
  19. hillbillyhonda

hillbillyhonda I'd Rather be Riding

Oddometer:
    Not in the USA
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Evidently we Americans are the only ones who like the first generation NC.

I mean who wants these changes that are found on the 2nd gen?

The new model, says Honda, is designed to offer more of what every rider liked about the original, and nothing less.

The gearing is 6% taller, but acceleration and top speed are up; two balance shafts and new exhaust muffler ensure a smooth, characterful engine.

Other new goodies include a span-adjustable brake lever, two-channel anti-lock brakes (only available on with six-speed dual clutch transmission –DCT model), revised seat material and off-road pattern tyres. The DCT also received software updates.

ENGINE

Honda says 75cc has been added to the liquid-cooled, SOHC eight-valve parallel twin-cylinder engine thanks to a bore increased 4mm to 77mm. Stroke remains at 80mm, as does compression ratio of 10.7:1. Still made in Japan, power is boosted to 40.3kW at 6250rpm with 68Nm at 4750rpm.

The bikemaker says: “Our engineers have added an extra balance shaft to inject the engine with just the right amount of ‘good’ vibration. The effect of the twin balancers is to counteract vibration from higher rpm inertia, making the engine feel more refined, yet still with the distinct ‘throb’ delivered by its 270° firing order. “

Parts are kept to a minimum and the engine weighs 62.4kg and 69.2kg in DCT form. Fuel consumption is rated at about 3.5 litres/100km so extracts 400km range from the 14.1-litre underseat fuel tank.

Seat height is 830mm and the seat itself features a new cover for improved grip. The clear and easy-to-read instrument display features a digital speedometer, digital bar-type tachometer, clock, bar-type fuel meter and two trip meters. A gear position indicator and ‘instant’ and ‘average’ fuel consumption readings are new.

ELECTRONIC INTER-LOCK

Honda also says the NC750X features the Honda Ignition Security System (HISS), an effective anti-theft set-up. If the ID chip embedded in the motorcycle’s key and the ID in the engine control unit do not match, the engine will not start.

This means the electronic inter-lock system only allows the engine to fire up when one a key with the correct ID chip is used. Also, even if attempts are made to hot-wire the engine or substitute the ignition switch module because it’s the ECU that’s in control, the engine will not start.

The NC750X will be available in four colours: silver metallic, black, white and red.

As with all Honda bikes, a range of dedicated genuine accessories are available for customisation. Some options include a 35L top box, Pannier kit decoration panel, a top 35L/45L inner bag, DCT footshift gear lever, a higher windscreen, leg or foot deflector kits, accessory pipe, alarm and U-lock to name a few.

--

For reals, not paying for an inferior model. That is just me. I go for best value.
    ---

Rant over. Thanks for not banning me.

Back to CBX chat.