Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. procrasti

procrasti it's such a beautiful thing...

Oddometer:
    Changes:

max HP +100rpm
    max torque -500rpm
    motoroil -400ml
    frontwheel new 19x2.5
    tyre new 110/80R19
    frontsuspension -5mm
    break front new 310mm

Size +60mm length
    -5mm width
    +50mm height

wheelbase +25mm
    steering head angle +2degrees
    seat hight +20mm
    ground clearance +1mm
    tank capacity +0.2liter

(BUT!) i'm not sure about the new front suspension... -5mm
    Honda Germany also lists -5mm
    Spain, UK, Italy no information on that
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  2. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, my CB500X interest-ometer just spiked! :freaky

So Jenny, what do you think the new suspension changes mean for Rally Raid's offerings? Any idea of compatibility?

If my math is correct, the front suspension was only increased by .4 inch and the rear by .7 inch.
    The_Precious_Juice and maxcielle like this.
  3. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I'm 100% sure that the front and rear suspension values are exchanged, so it is +10mm at the front y and +15mm at the rear.
    maxcielle likes this.
  4. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

MYUMPH and ThirtyOne like this.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi AG' - I already replied to a similar question on the previous page here...

I was speaking to John earlier today and certainly he'll be getting his hands on a new model just as soon as they arrive in the UK to see what changes need to be made to the current kit/s with regard to the changes on the new model (as I mentioned earlier in this thread, there appears to be a different design rear linkage on the 2019 model for example)...

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what we've got planned (based on the initial observations) do drop in on the RR Vendor thread, but in a nutshell, having a 19" front end on this bike from the factory means the LEVEL 2 spoked wheels will be far more straightforward to fit, plus for anyone who feels the stock [non damping-adjustable] suspension is still not sufficient, there will be upgraded options available.

See you in the other bar ;o)

Jenny x
    The_Precious_Juice and ag_streak like this.
  6. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there any knobbys with these wheel measures? 160/60/17 .
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    No, but a 150/70x17 is an excellent alternative, and what most people fit - there is a huge range from pretty much every tyre manufacturer in that size rear.

Jx
    maxcielle likes this.
  8. philratton

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer, and they fit without trouble?
  9. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Philratton - yes, it's pretty much what everyone fits to the current CB500X, and the rear rim size has not changed at all. Plenty of tubeless knobblies out there from Continental (TKC80) and Shinko and the like...

Previously it was really only Continental that offered a dedicated front knobbly tyre in 120/70x17" size, but now pretty much everyone has a 19" for the front of the new model.

One of the best mods you can make, together with a strong engine-guard and some Barkbusters.

Jx
    bard, maxcielle and William42 like this.
  10. philratton

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the info and tips!
  11. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great looking bike ! Well done.
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  12. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there is any more leg room between the footpegs and seat? I just got back from Indonesia where I've been 6 weeks out of the past 2 months putting a couple thousand miles on midget scooters - 220cc rented bike. Picking my CB up at the airport was shocked how the "BIG 500" is more cramped than the scooters/little bikes I rented!

(Hint: Rally Raid needs to offer a footpeg lower kit AND a bundled package of brake/clutch cables & bar risers to fit the non-Hobbit riders! :lol3)
  13. bard

bard Funrider

Oddometer:
    Its posted before but here is the new model on a Thai website

https://pantip.com/topic/38243023

Basically it says

Equipped with slipper clutch.
    New ignition timing makes a boost of 4% power.
    19 inch front wheel, 3 degree more angle and 10mm more suspension travel.
    17 liter fuel tank.
    New LCD panel with glow
    Else style upgrade.
  14. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I know some of the '16-'18 upgrades to the 500X can be bolted in to the '13-'15 model with some mild effort, and most of the rest can with some money and wrenching (though at that point it's more efficient to just buy one from those years). Will be curious to see how much of the second gen after 2019 is backwards-compatible to the first gen, because this is a radical enough change I'm comfortable sorting it out as a generation change rather than a simple model upgrade like the '16 was.
  15. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    The_Precious_Juice and maxcielle like this.
  16. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to seeing this latest CB5X in the flesh, and obviously test riding it. Really hoping it'll be out early next year.
    The Versys X400 never materialised like i hoped, the T7 is now too far away for me.
    The only other bike i'm still contemplating is a new Wee Strom.
    maxcielle likes this.
  17. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just drove my ass to local Honda dealership and ask them to mail me when price is available and when we can order the bike. Getting very interested.
    Good weight, good power, very reliable proofed bike and you can always improve it for serious off road use in the future.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  18. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    2019 Updates

• Engine refinements for an increase in overall power, including 3 to 4% more torque from 3,000 to 7,000 rpm.
    • Fuel-injector spray narrowed, fuel-droplet size optimized for improved spray penetration in intake. Improves combustion and therefore creates more linear power from first crack of the throttle through to rpm redline.
    • Smaller battery, repositioning of components enable increased air-intake volume and addition of filter element in tract below headlights. Straighter velocity stacks and reshaped separators between the cylinders make for decreased turbulence, resulting in improved power at every rpm.
    • New valve timing increases torque and improves roll-on response.
    • New crank-sensor system with over 2.5 times more-frequent crank-position readings and model-specific fuel-injection settings allow more linear power delivery, with emphasis on low- and midrange power and more precise throttle response.
    • New muffler with increased volume before and after catalytic converter. Backpressure optimized for improved low-end and midrange power. New dual-outlet muffler tip makes exhaust note racier-sounding to match new power.
    • New transmission gear-dog design is more precise for more accurate, sure shifting action.
    • New slipper clutch design adapts to load stresses for increased hook-up under heavy acceleration and reduced engine braking under downshifting.
    • New clutch design, with the same engineering found in the CBR1000RR, decreases lever pull by 45%, especially helpful in stop-and-go traffic. Lever shape improved as well.
    • Larger, 19” front wheel for better bump absorption, improved high-speed handling.
    • Steering caster angle slackened by 1 degree (now 27.5 degrees) for improved handling.
    • New front and rear tire design with deep-grooved tread.
    • New shock with advanced pressure-separation design from Honda’s large sport models is more stable and predictable for improved rear-wheel tracking and traction.
    • Increased suspension travel (up .4 in. in front, 1.2 in. rear) for improved performance through stroke, reduced bottoming and increased ground clearance.
    • On ABS version, upgraded modulators improve precision during ABS engagement.
    • Revised hydraulic ratio in rear brake, combined with ABS, achieve improved brake modulation in low-traction situations.
    • Lighter seat rails for improved mass centralization and better handling.
    • New, full-featured display has larger screen and thinner bezel, includes new upshift indicator that can be set to different rpm settings.
    • Turning radius reduced by nearly 8 inches for easier maneuvering.
    • Windscreen is 20mm taller for great wind protection during high-speed cruising.
    • Seat narrowed above pegs to aid touching feet to ground at stops.
    • New tapered handlebar improves feedback, control and style, while new rubber-mounted handlebar clamp minimizes vibration to rider’s hands.
    • More aggressive adventure styling with new fuel tank, radiator shroud, headlight, clear taillight lens and new LED turn signals. New shroud design helps direct radiator heat away from rider’s legs.

Attached Files:

19. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I've also read on a Thai site, that valve lift has increased by 0,3mm which helps the low rpm torque.

As sidenote, fueling was already model specific. With a friend of mine we're recently working on reverse engineering the Honda ECUs and found that same year models (R/F/X) differ in fuel mapping, but their ignition maps are essentially the same across all models and all gears.
    Also the fuel injectors used on current models were not application specific, but taken from the large parts bin of Honda - they were originally used as secondary injectors on rhe 600RR models.
    Would be very interesting to see the parts in flesh and bone.
  20. DavidM1

DavidM1 Stir crazy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what we want. It looks much better with a 19" front wheel. Pity it's not as light as the V-X300.