Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe he's dazed and confused as a CBX was a 6 cylinder made from 1979-1982 (in the US anyway) and he's talking about the wrong bike! You know how confusing the internet can be without all the facts!
  2. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What can I say...great minds think alike :lol3.

Everybody with all the rattles...ear plugs help get rid of all the noises my bikes make :imaposer. Seriously...one thing you can do is determine if it is related to the speed of the wheels or the speed of the engine...just get to the point where it is making the noise and pull the clutch in (let off the throttle of course). It may help you determine if the engine is the cause or if it is something else. Sort of approach it from the standpoint of what it is NOT and then zero in on what it might be.
  3. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The engine in the 19 model is noisier than the old one, mine started rattling after a few hundred miles were on the bike. Tech in my dealer reckons its the slipper clutch that has made this engine noisier, but they did check for a fault in it and couldn't find anything. I tried another 19 CB5X at the dealers and that was the same.
    Must admit, i've never had this rattle on any other bike with a slipper, just this new 19 CB5X. Its the only thing i dont like about the bike.
  4. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Below is my comparison of the '17 and the '19 CB500X...luckily I got to ride both and then we parked them side by side for a comparison. For all practical purposes, the '16-'18 models are the same bike so similar conclusions could easily be drawn. The '13-'15 bikes are closer to the '17 than the '19 but I have not ridden one so I wouldn't go so far as to say anything about them. Install a Rally Raid kit on any bike and my comments would not be relevant. Keep in mind most of what is below is my opinion :-).

Why you would want a '17...only reason I can see why you would want a '17 is if you NEVER intended to leave the pavement. The 17" wheels work well on pavement and the bike turns quicker and tends to fall into the turns more aggressively than the '19. This would allow you to ride the '17 more aggressively and faster on paved surfaces. Along with the better handling on pavement, the selection of tires for 17" wheels is better...for pavement. Price of course...you should be able to get an older bike for less money.

Advantages of a '19...in no particular order:
    A. Clutch...a couple differences, the pull is significantly easier on the '19...the '17 isn't difficult just that the '19 is super easy and of course the '19 has a slipper clutch. For those not familiar with a slipper clutch...it is basically a safety device and it works by allowing the clutch to slip. For example, if you were to be riding along at 60 mph and accidentally shifted into 1st gear and let the clutch out the slipper clutch would allow the rear wheel to turn by "slipping" and you could maintain control of the bike. If you didn't have a slipper clutch the rear wheel would slide/skid because the engine braking would be drastic and you could lose control...sort of like stomping the rear brake and locking up the rear wheel. When you are accelerating, the slipper clutch does not "slip" :D.

B. The 19" front wheel makes the handling feel more neutral and easier. It handles well on pavement but just less aggressively than the '17. When you turn in the bike goes where you point it with little effort where the '17 wants to fall into the turns more aggressively if you don't put more input into the handlebars.

C. Fueling...off idle, the '19 is smoother and easier to ride at very slow speeds. The '17 stutters and hick ups a tiny bit more off idle when you are trying to crawl along with the clutch fully engaged. Other than off idle at very low speeds, they both run great.

D. The '19 has a floating front brake rotor...which is good. The '17 is fixed...not bad just the floating rotor is better.

E. Rear master cylinder mounting...the '19 has the rear master cylinder mounted further forward and would be less likely to have the hose that leads from the reservoir to the master cylinder torn loose. With the '17 the reservoir is better protected with it mounted behind the rear foot peg mount but the hose is longer and vulnerable. Overall, I think the '19 set up is a little better.

F. Swing arm is a slightly different design for the chain tensioning device...the '19 is a little newer design and the '17 is more old school. Both should work fine they are just slightly different.

G. Display...the '19 has a display that tells you what gear you are in which is nice. I personally like the display on the '17 except for the lack of a gear indicator but the differences are minor.

H. Exhaust sound...the '19 nailed it. Not too loud, not too quiet, just right. The '17 is too quiet and I had to look down at the tach to see if the engine was running.

I. LED lighting...all lighting on the '19 is LED. The blinkers are incandescent on the '17 with LED headlight/taillight.

J. Windscreen...the windscreen itself is half an inch taller from top to bottom on the '19. When mounted in the low position the '19 is at the same overall height as far as the rider is concerned to the '17 in the high position. Raise the '19 to the high position and it should be about two inches higher than the '17 in the high position.

IMO most people will like the '19 better because it is easier to ride with the more neutral handling. I haven't taken a '19 off road so no comments about its handling in dirt. I did take the '17 off road and it was scary. A 430 lb bike with relatively smooth tires and what feels like a steep rake angle makes it pretty unstable in the sand.

My recommendation...unless you want to ride aggressively on paved surfaces or your budget won't allow it, get the '19 :-).
  5. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I thought I'd have an interesting post regarding rear brake pads, as I swapped mine out this evening.
    Had planned on pics, as was sure they were done and it'd be a good laugh at how much wear they had.
    However, they had life left. I was changing my rear tire so thought I'd do it anyway. (Now have matching Kenda Big Blocks!)

62,500 kms on stock rear pads, 70 would have been easily doable. Front pads changed last year had over 50k on them if I remember correctly...

That's all folks. Don't forget to change the oil every now and then and let the good rides continue!!

MFS
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, only just changed my back pads at 40,000 klms, but they have been through a lot of mud, clay and creeks etc. Front ones are still fine.
  7. Bigshot

Bigshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are the kinds of reports I like to hear. I’ve been working on my bikes for over 30 years and if less maintenance is required that’s even better. Also the fact that there are few complaints of common problems gives me hope for a issue free bike for years to come.
    racer and MFS like this.
  8. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Rode through WA/ID/WY/MT last month on my trusted CBXRR. Great bike with a motor as smooth as silk. Road-to-the-sun-Montana-7.png My-CB500X-Rally-Raid.png Old-Spiral-HWY-looking-south-into-Lewiston-ID-2.png

Attached Files:

9. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like The Old Spiral Highway above Lewiston ID, was there a few years ago, lovely area.
    jconli1 likes this.
  10. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    That's it, fun ride and such a nice area.
    jconli1 and gavmac like this.
  11. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seat mod.
    So maybe 5 years to late, but today I decided to do something about the CB seat.
    Seat concepts, probably worth every penny, but having never tried one it's hard to dish out cash without a test sitting on one.
    Had called a local upholstery last week, quoted me 150 (canadian) for foam and cover, thought I'd give him a try if/when I screwed up my diy project.

Goal, to give my butt a place to sit further back. In my mind I was simply going to cut the foam at sharper angle, and put the cover back on. Did more than that, but in the end this just cost me staples, and it feels...FANTASTIC.

20190818_175601.jpg
    Blurry, but that's the end result.
    next post I'll show what me and the missus did, she's the carver in the family.

MFS
    No-Fret likes this.
  12. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190818_135702.jpg
    Step one, we carved a sharper angle to the existing slope. The plastic itself is the problem, but this allowed me to move further back. Still, you're weight just slides you into the dense, hard foam in front of you and discomfort continued.
    20190818_134523.jpg
    So, I decided to raise the platform of the seat, and see how it felt. We were making progress, but the whole seat on top now had discomfort from the foam itself, it really is dense to give it the shape it needs, but now needed molding over the support block I was going to form from some vinyl plank flooring that you see in pic 2.
  13. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190818_134543.jpg
    So we carved out a bit, then sat, then cut then sat some more. The front of the seat is the top of the pic, the cut got deeper there, the foam was so thick that it felt hard and pushed me up and back, almost a reverse effect of before. Better, but once we notched that foam out we achieved perfection.
    20190818_135619.jpg
    There is my raising block, taped together and the seat foam notched to fit around it.
    Now we could see the seat cover could be reused, seat height not affected. The sitting position, flatness achieved is excellent, really good.
    V0R2G0 likes this.
  14. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my wife's Cbr300r seat down using an electric carving knife in a similar fashion. I'm like you. I have put up with this stock seat for 50,000 plus km. Too chicken to start cutting like you did. Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe my next 50k km I won't be sliding into the gas tank. Well done. Neil
    MFS likes this.
  15. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190818_175951.jpg 20190818_180101.jpg
    So here is some pics of me in my pajamas. Seriously looking like a responsible biker.
    Anyway, I'm almost 5'11". My butt is seated on a flat, no slope, comfortable position here. I have my arms at full extension, and with my windshield set the way I do, note how much cockpit room I have. Super roomy, no longer cramped seated position and all it cost me was staples (that I already had...) Jeez I should have done a "before" pic.
    Did a nice ride, and man what an improvement. To sum up...
    Build up the lowest portion of the seat.
    Cut the foam around it, still have lots for softness. Do not feel lumps, hardness. Only flatness and awesomeness.
    Use original cover, enjoy original seat height.
    This took time, trial and no error really as nothing broke. The slope was always the issue, but getting rid of the foam underneath, and a wee bit of carving to the rear has taken comfort to its highest level for me now. A good day.
    Enjoy.

MFS
    HooliganD likes this.
  16. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    I got tired of using seat pads, which upped the height (already have the rally raid lvl2) unnecessarily plus they never looked right, or felt right. This took a few hours (or more), the seat cover staple removal/install took a lot of time, but wasn't difficult really with help to hold the fabric.

MFS
    HooliganD likes this.
  17. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One question about your seat mod. Roughly what are the dimensions of the vinyl plank block? Thanks. Neil
  18. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Width 5", for reference in the pic with the foam upside down the 2 square dirty marks are where the operator manual goes on the other side of the seat.
    Length maybe 5 to 7. Once the seats off it'll make sense.
    Total height of block an inch and a half approx. (Looks bigger in pic)
    Vinyl is 5mm thick, just measured a similar stack.

MFS
    V0R2G0 likes this.
  19. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Running around the Columbia River area. On the north side in WA looking towards Mt Adams. 20190823_140326.jpg
    Wambo likes this.
  20. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New York, down Skyline Drive to the Midland Trail, out to Louisville. Then Back to New York... love this bike! Different than cross-country on the CRF230L, but the 500x is something special! Looking to put on a slip on though. New York driving, maybe a little more sound could benefit. R77 is very expensive. Looking at the Leo Vince Corsa.
    Met @Grumblez which was a real treat!
    Grumblez and No-Fret like this.