Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least up for consideration of "worst" if nothing else. $3,500 might be worth investigating.

I paid $4,364.69 for a stock used 2015 with 400 miles on at the end of 2016. Admittedly I was fortunate to find a dealer that didn't want to carry it through the winter.
    Im3Wheeln likes this.
  3. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not good for sure... but also in contention is the ad on here where a fella was asking like $18000 for a ‘14 Super Tenere Non ES..lol.
  4. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is $5k for a 2018 with ~2k miles a good deal? the only extra is a top cases and a slip on exhaust?
  5. pfettig77

Oddometer:
    I almost feel like contacting him and letting him know that left over brand new ones are selling for just over $4,000. I wonder what he's thinking.
  6. pfettig77

Oddometer:
    PM'd ya.
  7. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally not happening at 7k!!

My wife has a 2015 that came with Rally raid parts, Corbin seat and extended warranty for $3200. Like a year and half ago.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Great day for a ride, bike 6 years and 41,000 klms old, not even a loose nut or bolt. Pretty happy about that.
    _20190922_215423.JPG
  9. YukonC

YukonC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a stupid thing. I removed the seat from my cb500x and then placed the key in the compartment under the seat. When I put the seat back on, I forgot to get the key first so now my key is locked under the seat. Is there a way to remove the seat without the key? I don't have spare, and it's a 2013 if that makes a difference.
  10. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same noise at 5k, also haven't been able to figure it out. I suspect it is a vibration between the radiator and the radiator fan housing. All the radiator and fan mounts are tight though.
  11. justdirtyfun

Oddometer:
    Oh shit. That sounds rough.
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Oh dear.

Obviously the idea of having a lock on there is so you can't get the seat off without the key...

The only thing I can think of is to see if you can get behind the left hand side panel near the lock and cut the cable with some pliers... slide (or strip a section) of the outer sleeve off, and pull the inner cable with some pliers to release the seat catch.

You'll need to buy a new lock cable of course, but that is probably your only way?

good luck...

Jenny x

note. if you can't get behind the side panel to access the cable, the only other thing would be to pry the lock assembly out of the plastic side panel, and/or pull the whole side panel off to release the cable. You'd write-off your side panel, but a replacement is only around $35.
    DeeEll likes this.
  13. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    If you can slide the end of a coat hanger wire (bent into a small hook) onto the space where the cable is exposed, you might be able to give it a tug and release it.
    DeeEll likes this.
  14. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you remove stuff or loosen enough to pry an opening from the underside to access?
  15. justdirtyfun

Oddometer:
    Or a locksmith.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Just a quick head-up for anyone within striking distance of Mariposa California this weekend - I'll be presenting two seminars at the Horizons Unlimited Travellers meeting - the first is my latest Packing Light show-and-tell/Q&A session, scheduled for Friday morning at 11am. I'll be sharing my experience and suggestions for packing light for a typical extended adventure ride with an off-road and trail bias, with my trusty CB500X as the backdrop of course.

[​IMG]

The second is a science fiction double feature - Part 1 and [the debut of] Part 2 of my huge trip last summer on the G310GS, featuring highlights of some of the best dual-sport and adventure riding in North America - including sections of the Trans-America Trail, the Moab trail network, some of the best Colorado high passes, and sections of the various BDR routes all over the west and north west. A particular highlight is also my cross country blast to Toronto and back for some off-road riding in Ontario, plus my own exploration route/s through Wyoming and Montana. This audio-visual double bill is scheduled to start at 10am on Saturday 28th September.

As another treat, Juan Browne (Blancolirio on Youtube, and Visualizerent here on ADVrider) will also be attending, and we're planning a couple of afternoon trail rides in the local area.

So if you're already planning on attending, or simply fancy a last minute weekend away in some awesome scenery together with some equally awesome people, do check out the Horizons Unlimited website/forum for details (note that online registration is now closed), but if you contact them via email I'm sure you'll be able to sign up on the day.

Hope to see you there!

Jenny x
    Bors, iceburg7, UKJeeper and 3 others like this.
  17. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump, if anyone has any suggestions!
  18. UKJeeper

UKJeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Bonus points for the sneaky Rocky Horror reference! :bmwrider
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  19. panterg55

panterg55 Formely panterg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Yukon , You have a PM , Cheers Glenn
  20. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Start taking things off where you think that the sound is coming from until it goes silent. If you have engine guard, start there. Chin spoiler, etc. Shouldn't be that hard to find once you start digging... could even be just a bit of rock or gravel so could also wash everything out. Tap on everything and see if something is loose.

It is the kind of thing that you are going to have to dig around to find: there will not be one answer from the internets as many things could be the culprit so grab a few wrenches and a good light and you will find it soon enough. Good luck.
    JMo (& piglet) and 78er like this.