Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Lonebiker

Lonebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just amazed by the fuel consumption of this bike. Used to own 650 dualsport. So, horsepower is similar. Today i did 418 km with one tank. Fuel consumption calculated 3,5 L/100 km (bike's indicator shows 3,4 L/100 km). That's 260 miles, 66.8 mpg. A little more than half the reserve left in the tank. I guess that 468 km (290 miles) could be reach.

That kind of fuel consumption is similar to the fuel consumption of my previous WR250X.

2019-09-06 chemin Pionniers 1.jpg
  2. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine shows an indicated 70 MPG most of the time and I've seen it bump 75 on really slow rides around the back roads. RAcer
  3. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 Full time rider

Oddometer:
    Mine averages from lower mid 50's MPG (interstate days) to lower mid 60's (putting around using barely any throttle while going downhill with a tail wind) :hmmmmm:jack But according to fuelly.com it's averaged 61.something mpgs for the 15 months I've owned it overall :)
  4. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 Full time rider

Oddometer:
    Mine gets ridden like that often too (this was from Friday) :D

5. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Just finished the latest iteration of my approach to a close to ideal suspension setup.
    This is a totally custom cartridge, what is valved and sprung to the weight of my riding style. Stanchions are 18mm longer than stock to enable mounting of a 19" wheel on stock top triples, has 175mm of teavel, fully adjustable for compression, rebound and preload and weights only slightly more than the oem setup with the unsprung (lower) part actually being lighter.
    Can't wait to test it next week on Transalpina and Transfagaras.

Attached Files:

6. Scootrider

Scootrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If this works out well for you, will you share the recipe?
  7. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Sure.
    Not overly complicated ( just joking it is areal rabbit hole I went down to ;-).
    My current setup is based on the following parts:
    - YamahaTDM850 3vd front cartridge. Bear in mind, these are old and tattered by now, so I ended up using only the cartridge tube, the damper rod, and the upper seal part from the original parts. If you can find a good tdm850 fork set, you'll have an easier job as the stanchions and adjusters could be transplanted too.
    - the damping is crap in the original cartridge and does not use shim valving, so I ended up changing both compression and rebound pistons to aftermarket 20mm cartridge valves, similar to Racetech Gold valves, and calculated the proper shim valving to them.
    In order to install the new valving turned new valve holders and adjuster pin for both the bottom valve and the midvalve.
    Made compression adjuster built in the bottom assembly.
    Renewed the sliding bush in the upper cartridge seal and polished the damper rod.
    Used cbr500r stanchions as they are 18mm longer than the stock 500x units had to machine out the bottom oil ring from the CBR stanchions to fit the cartridge.
    Used the housing of cbr600f3 fork caps, and recut the thread in the housing to receive TDM adjusters, as the TDM fork caps threading is not compatible with the honda stanchions, but the preload and rebound adjuster is more robust construction.
    In order to achieve enough suspension travel, and to improve suspension action at near full extension I have changed from short external topout spring to a longer internal spring.
    Calculated necessary spring rates and got them manufactured (matching main springs, topout and adjuster springs)
    Shortened adjuster rod, assembled the forks, and experimented to achieve the proper oil level in order to avoid bottoming - as this setup doesn't have the dreaded oil lock at the end of the travel.
    Easy peasy. :-)
    Tried them yesterday very shortly - night and day difference from stock, and good improvement over anything else. Will probably continue to adjusting things, but I'm very satisfied.
    It was a great journey and I've learnt a lot. I ended up with enough parts to build a second set, but I found at the end that probably I would have been better off building brand new ones with a few readily available parts (valves and caps).
    rexelstar and Cruz like this.
  8. UKJeeper

UKJeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice afternoon, so took in some byways and back roads around the county.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. yeendy

yeendy n00b

Oddometer:
    500x.jpg My New steed on the byways of sunny Norfolk today
  10. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    OMG. Been riding some mixed terrain during the Weekend on the new suspension. Still not a dirtbike as it has way shorter suspension travel, but it is better than stock Africa Twin. It really eats up potholes, very confident in corners and feels light and planted at the same time.
    Has to play around with damping and fluid levels a bit, but it exceeds my expectations.
    rexelstar likes this.
  11. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - so you can confirm that a well set-up 41mm conventional fork performs better than a stock 45mm USD fork... who knew? - better not tell that to the Tenere 700 crowd or they'll have a frikkin' meltdown... "43mm is not enough blah blah blah"

Well done ;o)

Jx
  12. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey CBX folks. I have a 2012 G650GS and I really love it. It checks off just about all of my boxes, but I've always really wanted a CB500X and was thinking of selling the BMW and buying the Honda. The weird thing is that I can't really find any comparisons of the two bikes online. Seems like a natural rival to me. Similar weight, horsepower, purpose, etc. I know on paper the BMW has a few things the CB doesn't like standard ABS and longer suspension and a 19" front wheel. Does anyone have any experience with both? Would it be a lateral move or an up/downgrade?
  13. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    coming from a 17 dl650xt to a 19 cb500x abs I have a close perspective.

s faster and feels MUCH heavier
    h much more flickable....low speed is much better too
    h way better gas mileage...I rode the strom @80 mph averaging 43 mph...h is in the 60s.
    fairing and aero are much the same for me at 6'1"...no issues..very good
    overall the h is better in every way but you must realign yourself to the power difference...I rarely meet up with a car I can't pass fast and safely on the h but the s certainly had more instant power.

I find that short shifting up to @60mph is more of a chore on the h but once up at 60-80-85 not much difference and then all the benefits of the h hold true.

h made some weak decisions like no spoke wheels, no lower engine fairing of an kind let alone a bash plate, no knuckle guards not even useless plastic ones, not just giving us the $20 12v port and making us wait 5 months for it, 1 color for us customers when most of the world get's 3, headlights are miserable on both bikes...must have aux lighting...but imho h's level of less than perfect design decisions does not come close to s's punt of the century...removing the hazard light switch on the 17 for no known reason...it actually cost them money to redesign the switch housing without the switch. Nobody could give any logical reason why.

sorry no direct bmw comparison but I am very satisfied going from 650 to 500.
    pfettig77 and Wambo like this.
  14. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ It took me almost that entire post to figure out h = Honda and s = Suzuki.
    Jamie Z, dmski, Grumblez and 4 others like this.
  15. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like the guy from A Beautiful Mind because I cracked the code early on in the post.
  16. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..........and I only realised after I'd read your post.......................
  17. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate the responses...I plan to try a 17" knobby (knobbly) when it is time to replace my current front tire :-).
  18. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still stumped on the 5k rpm rattle, here is a video... any help please!!!
  19. UKJeeper

UKJeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TBF, about 1/2 of the TAT trip (from Moab west) was with a Shinko 805 on the rear. I got through 2 rear TKC80'S between Montreal and Moab. TKC80'S are a great tyre, but not the longest lasting.
  20. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a vibration from either a bash plate or the exhaust cover down by your heel.
    Cruz likes this.