Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_4134.jpg
    khemist likes this.
  2. eternalforeigner

eternalforeigner It's not a midlife crisis if you're methodical.

Oddometer:
  3. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking at getting a 19 in the spring. how accurate are the speedos on these. ill be coming from a 12 tenere. have had 2 first one was off by about 10mph my current one seems to be only off by about 5 maybe.
  4. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    It's an interesting question.
    When I checked my bike (UK spec) in its original form, indicated speed was rougly 5% optimistic. My current setup is reading lower than GPS speed.
    I'm currently using an US spec Speedo unit and a 39T rear sprocket (instead of the oem 41T) - which later is roughly 4% longer than stock. This way the speedo reads about 4-5% over, and the ecu reads about 2% lower - so I assume that the oem US speedo is pretty much spot-on.
  5. CCer

CCer missing Supporter

Oddometer:
    The speedo on my 2019 is pretty spot-on compared to GPS, Never had any vehicle match like that. Well, it matched until I put on that 16 tooth countershaft sprocket.
  6. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said. Racer
  7. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    JH...what year is it? I haven't learned to tell the difference yet unless it has the stock muffler and I can see it :rofl.
  8. S.O.G.

S.O.G. n00b

Oddometer:
    It might be tuff to find one next spring.
  9. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sort of brought this up previously but has anybody found a decent 17" knobby tire to run on the front of a '18 or earlier bike besides the TKC80?

The TKC80 is a good tire and I'll probably go with it...just curious to know if there is another option.

Only options I found are the Shinko 705 and TKC70...using the Chap Moto Tire Selector: https://www.chapmoto.com/dual-sport...tion=25809&tire_width=3419&tire_rim_size=3400. Neither of which is aggressive enough for riding off road where I'll be going :-).

Thanks
  10. khemist

khemist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    delete wrong thread.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    TKC80 in tubeless 17 inch front i found to be a great tyre. I may have previously responded to you, but there is also the MT60 Corsa front in 17 inch.
    Blakduk likes this.
  12. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cruz...looks like the TKC80 is a little more aggressive than the MT60 and seems to be the best option I have found for a 120/70-17 front tire that might see some sand off road :D. If anybody has a better idea, I am all ears :ear.

JH...I listened very closely to the video you referenced and I heard the high pitch vibration. Sounds like a shroud, cover, panel...etc. that resonates at a certain rpm. I'd go over everything and make sure you don't have a lose fastener or that you haven't lost a bolt, zip tie, fastener, etc. anywhere.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Eternal' - I cannot see any reason why that shouldn't fit the 2013-16 bikes too - the frame and swing arm/wheel-size and travel is the same across all years. The exhaust silencer section is different from 2017, and if you have an aftermarket exhaust some don't come with a stopper for the centre stand, but the OEM Honda stand fits those bikes - so if the SWMotech is essentially a pattern part, it should also fit the earlier generation bikes with a standard exhaust*

* and you can always add/re-position the stand stopper to an exhaust that doesn't have one - using an additional pipe-clamp for example.

Physically though, I see no reason why it won't bolt onto the lugs on the underside of the frame, and the foot lever clear the swing arm and side stand on the left hand side in just the same way.

Jx
  14. B-Nads

B-Nads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the new-to-me toy out this past weekend - there was some sliding between those road tires and the rain soaked mud ruts, but a lot of fun none-the-less. I was pretty impressed with how nimble the bike was in general - particularly off the asphalt and packed gravel.

[​IMG]
    catfish and Bors like this.
  15. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't let the speedo stop you...I used one of these on several bikes and it is super small, easy to program, and works great: http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

Fortunately the speedo on my '17 is dead on accurate...until I change tires :lol3 and then I'll be buying one.
  16. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
  17. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the Shinko 804 (front) & 805 (rear) set if you're looking for something like the TKC80s. Very similar block pattern and reportedly longer lifespan (and cheaper). I plan to put this set on my '19 next spring.
  18. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    However, these are not available in 17" for front. And, I wouldn't ride with this particular rear on the front. Not sure why you would recommend them for him?
  19. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Woops, didn't see the note RE front only. Thanks!
    OHjim likes this.
  20. danceswithcages

danceswithcages Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer: