Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Scootrider

Scootrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's great stuff, Jenny. On a much more mundane and practical vein, it came to my attention that we have a vulnerability that might be easy to address. I'd been trolling around on NC750stuff (that's actually a youtube channel with some great stuff that applies to us). Apparently the countershaft seal on our bikes is vulnerable to damage from rocks and things and is not easy to replace without splitting the case! Adrian (NC750stuff) discovered this on his bike found a solution and made a video:

I wrote him, since his wife Wendy rides a CB500x, and asked if it's the same for us and he said that it was. He will point out that the risk of damage is very low, but someone with an NC did have a problem. I'm nearly ready to replace my chain and sprockets so will see if I can do a simple fix and find ways to secure it in place.
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Scoot' - that's interesting - and not something I've been aware of before... I can see what he's done there in an effort to stop something jamming in their and potentially ripping the seal - my only concern would be that in silty mud for example, the dirt could pack in behind there and potentially get forced inwards rather than out with the rotation of the countershaft?

Either way, it is a good reminder that if you are going to use these (or any) bikes in dirt off-road conditions, you do need to consider more regular visual inspections, if not actual maintenance too - compared to less hostile on-road riding.

Thanks for the warning!

Jenny x
  3. 71CB100

71CB100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after a couple of years of infidelity with a Z3 convertible, and a couple more with a G310GS, I am back on a 2020 CB500X ABS! Wonderful machine! I previously owned a 2013 when they first came out. Age has refined them nicely... :getiton
    FE5E7D05-E5E2-4310-9BED-58DA0DB023C5.jpeg 97DAC027-CCDB-4311-BD0A-2506C479B8AD.jpeg
    taranaki, TCNG, pm9654 and 8 others like this.
  4. gehart

gehart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new 500x. I've a 2014 with a RR level 1 suspension. I've been tempted to get the improved version but it still works well for the riding I do. The only thing I don't like about it is the seat so I have ordered a 2019 2020 seat to keep me from buying a new bike. Northwest Ark. is nice area to ride. I often ride in the Missouri Ozarks as I'm in St. louis.
    justdirtyfun, Rob-Houston and 71CB100 like this.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Get a Corbin
  6. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    @JMo (& piglet) before you're leaving to your annual big trip, would you share more info on the headlight stay/nav tower structure you have made?
    I've been contemplating doing something similar for quite a time, and would be great to learn from somebody else's experience.
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Oyabun - no, but I can make it really easy for you and sell you one - once it's been properly proven.

Jx
  8. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    Sorry wrong place to ask...
  9. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Jenny, thanks for the generous offer. You know me, more often than not I prefer to do things my way - I was just interested in how did you realise it.
    Imma not in a hurry, will keep an eye on how they perform.
    Until then have a good trip, and see you in the tattenback thread.
    Cruz and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  10. vdawg0003

vdawg0003 Need to ride more!

Oddometer:
    I finally joined the club, took 6 months but it was worth it.

20200625_204648.jpg 20200625_194709.jpg
    Piscoot, 71CB100, William42 and 8 others like this.
  11. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! What an amazing bike!
    I've done many miles on mine and i'm loving it more and more every time I ride.

lostname, 71CB100 and vdawg0003 like this.
  12. vintagecycle

vintagecycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice 500X! Congrats!
    71CB100 likes this.
  13. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold my 2015 after 15k miles and bought a Versys 650 last year. I loved the versys wind protection better but really hated the ergonomics and the seat for some reason. I sold it on the 15th of June. Yesterday I visited our dealer who just uncrated a 2020 cbx. I went to the dealer for a nc750x but really just cant pull the trigger when the cb500x is right next to it. I hate luggage and the nc750x has that covered. I dont think id like the seat on the nc though. Thats a big deal to me and one reason I sold the versys. A bit stumped. Luckily we have a couple dealers who have good prices. The cbx may be in my garage again soon.
    vintagecycle likes this.
  14. vintagecycle

vintagecycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to my local Honda dealer today to see if they had a CB650R to check out. They did not. However, I ended up finding myself staring at the leftover '18 CB500X they had on the showroom floor for a long time. I keep coming back to the CBX as a possible next bike.
  15. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t test ride it unless you want to buy it. :) I was sold on my 2018 at the first bite.
    vintagecycle likes this.
  16. ross

ross Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If debating between a cb500x and nc700x be sure to ride the nc700x. The engine character is entirely different. I was sold on the bike on paper, but a short test ride told me otherwise and it was immediately scratched off the list. The cb500x still puts a smile on my face with 18,000 miles on it.
    Flyin' Monkeys and vintagecycle like this.
  17. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I wish dealers gave more test drives. Around here it's almost impossible to get a ride. I did ride both at a special Honda event. I wasn't really thinking of buying either (I was happy with my V-Strom).
    NC700x
    - loved the low center of gravity and balance!
    - not sure about the low rev limiter, but I could live with it after adapting
    - The seat put strain on my lower back even in the short test drive making it impossible to consider for me
    CB500x
    - fun, playful, comfortable, affordable
    - I wasn't even considering this bike but I have one now.
    - I don't mind the seat but I'm not planning any long multi day trips.
    Flyin' Monkeys and vintagecycle like this.
  18. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I owned a pair of Wee Stroms for 90,000 km & loved the bike; the CB 500X had the worst seat of any bike I have owned, only matched by the seat on the Honda GROM. My CB 500X is now for sale as I just picked up a Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel edition; except for the seat, the 500X is a pretty good & capable machine
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  19. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved the seat on my cbx. It curves way up on the tank and has a good size flat area as well.
    ncroadtoad and Cal like this.
  20. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally decided what hard panniers to use on the CB (have soft ones on a WR). I have a DL650 that came with SW Motechs so I thought I could just order mounts for the Honda and swap back and forth.
    However......

IMG_0009.JPG

The VStrom comes with a 45 liter on the left and a 37 on the right to make things even since the exhaust is on the right. The perspective of the photo is a bit distorted but the lh sticks out farther than the handlebar. The rh is about even. Ordered another 37 for the left, found one for $300.

IMG_0012.JPG

I swapped sides for the rack's front mounting bracket, so it's on the inside rather than the outside.That tucked the front of the cases almost an inch closer to the bike.

IMG_0058.JPG

It would be nice to do something similar to the rear mount but that looks a bit more difficult.
    Happy with it after a couple camping trips.
    Cruz likes this.