Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    The new bags came in. They tuck in nice and tight! 20200929_181640.jpg 20200929_181708.jpg 20200929_181721.jpg
    Ginger Beard, Cruz, William42 and 4 others like this.
  2. pm9654

pm9654 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question on heat shielding. I picked up the Wolfman Rocky Mountain Expedition bags for my ‘18. Adding SW-Motech carriers. But I am worried about heat shielding. I would go with the Wolfman shield, or Giant Loop, (there seem to be no shortage of these out there) but I am running the stock muffler set up, and I think the shields out there work mostly on smaller mufflers. Anyone have any advice? I have even thought about an adhesive backed shield to put on the bottom of the bag if that would work.
  3. gehart

gehart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ncroadtoad, what do thing of the Corbin seat. I've got a 2014 500x RR level 1 suspension. The seat comfort is my only complaint. I had heard that the 2019/20 seat was better so I bought one and it doesn't seem better to me. It still forces into the same spot. I am aware of the seat concept options and thinking about trying the tall seat. I'm 70, 160lbs with no natural padding at the back end. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi pm9654 - The Giant Loop heat shield works with pretty much any silencer - Juan uses one on top of his stock 2013-16 exhaust, and it ought to fit on the later exhaust, although you'll probably need a longer jubilee strap to fit around the fatter part of the OEM silencer.

[​IMG]

it is also worth considering the shape of the panniers you wish to fit - horizontal rather than vertical work better on the CB500X - such as the Siskiyou panniers above.

Hope that helps...

Jx
    pm9654 likes this.
  5. Bat7

Bat7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the GL shield on my stock 2014 muffler with Nelson Rigg Sierra dry saddlebags. The bottom of the saddlebag is only a few mm above the muffler and I have never had a problem in thousands of miles, including a trip from Rochester NY to the west coast and back.
    Mick
  6. BeanRidin'

BeanRidin' Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Nelson Rigg Sierra dry saddlebags are just good bags! They have stayed mounted on my 2015 with stock muffler and no heat shield for the past three years and still going strong. I have them mounted on the quick release SW Motech racks. The right bag sits about an inch above the end of the muffler.
  7. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did the NEBDR section 3 and the Trans Mass back in to CT, I had no issues with the 16 tooth fully loaded too! My 19’ pulled like the little the train that could. Man it was such a transformation for me. My bike loved the 2500-4000rpm which for me was mostly 2nd gear. But I could see perhaps going back to the 15 if your bike is heavy loaded.
    IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    Ginger Beard, 71CB100, Bors and 2 others like this.
  8. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I just returned from a fun couple days in the VA Blue Ridge, Floyd area. Many thanks to KennyV for his hospitality and touring me around his backyard.

[​IMG]
    I stayed at the Fancy Gap Cabins and Campground in Fancy Gap, VA. I was in a dry cabin here last week, but decided to try the motel this time. The room was spanky clean, newly refrubished, air ionized, windows open - about the best the owners could do in these times.

[​IMG]
    I was going to camp, but cold weather, old age and to much gear put that great idea in the dumper. A much better option on those frosty mornings.

[​IMG]
    True to his offer, and the perfect host, KennyV spent his day touring me around the gravel roads of Floyd. Some of them at least, he promises there are many more.

[​IMG]
    The photo ops were few as much of the time we were either going up or down a mountain side.

[​IMG]
    There really is no substitute for riding with a local rider who shares your interests. Kenny hit the mark.

[​IMG]
    A late lunch in Floyd at the Outer Space.
    A great riding day in a beautiful part of the country.
  9. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice shots of "my neighborhood". That motel is 5 minutes from me. Indian Valley and also along the New River are some of my favorite areas to explore.
    Laconic and DandyDoug like this.
  10. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    Thanks 4Paws, it's a small world indeed. I've ridden some in the Indian Valley area and along the New River, but I'm sure I've just scratched the surface on the area's many small, winding roads.
    Cheers
    DandyDoug likes this.
  11. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some pictures from my trip to my old stomping grounds.

It was a really nice ride by way of the Blue Ridge Parkway from home to Blowing Rock NC.
    IMG_20201006_112859293.jpg

IMG_20201006_120617252_HDR.jpg

Then from Blowing Rock, dirt and gravel to beautiful downtown Mortimer. Betseys Ole Country store cabin was home sweet home for a couple days.

IMG_20201007_163821839.jpg

IMG_20201006_174220159.jpg
    DaFoole, 71CB100, Bors and 5 others like this.
  12. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then it was Pisgah National Forest roads.

IMG_20201007_113431430_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201007_150951834_HDR.jpg

And then the Lineville Gorge Wilderness.

IMG_20201007_133658272.jpg

IMG_20201007_133729194_HDR.jpg
    Ginger Beard, gumpt100, Cal and 6 others like this.
  13. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Along the Kistler Memorial Highway,

IMG_20201007_135614996_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201007_141416520.jpg
    chris4652009, gumpt100, Cal and 6 others like this.
  14. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    @KennyV I like how you've kept your bike free of a bunch of junk hanging off of it. Looks like a good trip you had, I ride up your way pretty often; I'm down in Reidsville.

I'm thinking one of these might replace the S10 and the DR650 I have now.
    KennyV and DandyDoug like this.
  15. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    Nice pics KennyV, thanks for sharing. I need to check out Mortimer.
  16. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I started weekends riding the area back around 2002? Whenever we could get away for a weekend we would pack up the bikes and head to Betseys. I used to know every road in the area like the back of my hand. It was good to get reacquainted with the area.
    ncroadtoad likes this.
  17. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Contemplating selling my Rally Raid Level 2/3 CB500X. Purchased new and installed the full Rally Raid kit at about 2.5K. Has about 15K miles and is located in Tucson. Can be seen in my ride reports. There are a few cosmetic blemishes (I actually ride it off road) but no mechanical issues. PM me if you are interested. I'm not going to give it away, but it will be well less than buying a new bike (or probably used) and outfitting it yourself. I'll be back in Tucson sometime in November.
  18. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick question (I hope).

I've had intermittent problems starting the bike -- due I'm almost certain to a failing kickstand switch. Kickstand up, no start, kickstand up and down a couple of times and then it will start.

Had the problem again today, was fine, but now will not start AT ALL. Lights and all go on, but no sound as usual before I hit the starter.

Of course this is on the side of the road.

So I tried two things. I cut the wires to the switch and it won't start. I stripped and connected the two wires and it won't start. I figured switches are either open or closed, so this should work but it doesn't. Argh...

I've tried this while in N. Reading over on the CB500X forum is making me think maybe close the circuit (wire together) and in gear with clutch in?

What do I do to get the bike starting again?

(It is a couple blocks from my house by the market and Thai street food vendors are keeping an eye on it, but still....)
  19. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are in N, the kickstand switch shouldn't have any effect. It might be the transmission relay switch. I havent had this issue, so just guessing.
  20. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking as well, but there is a thread here https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,7221.msg82834.html#msg82834

that goes into it more. There are also some reports that the N switch can lead to faults as well.

Oddly enough I did get it to start while wheeling it back home, and had been shifting in and out of N seeing what it could be. Then switched it off when at home, and it wouldn't start. Messing with the gear lever I got it to start again -- pulling up out of 1st to N. But I couldn't repeat that.

I'll chase down issues with the transmission relay switch and see. Any other ideas anyone?
    Johnnyfever likes this.