Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What does a voltmeter readout say about the battery? I’ve seen this first check overlooked more than once.
  2. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I'd bet it's gonna be the neutral switch. It wears out, and even if lights the led on the dash, the ecu does not recognise it as proper signal.
  3. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would that still prevent it from starting in gear with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled in?
  4. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    It blocks ignition, but it would still crank. But you might have more than one issue tho. I might tbe ignorant and haven't read all previous troubleshooting steps - have you checked the clutch switch?
  5. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Could it be a faulty ECU (under tank beside turn signal relay)? Swap ECU's with another CB to test if the other suggestions don't locate the cause.
  6. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disconnect the sidestand switch - there'll be a connector a few cm back from the switch. You may need to short the connector bike side once switch disconnected.
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark - This happened with Lisa's bike recently (45,000+ miles) - turns out it was simply a dirty side-stand switch and the contacts weren't working properly.

Bike wouldn't start with the side stand down, but would with it up. The clutch switch [being pulled in] sometimes allowed it to start with the stand down, other times it didn't (clutch switch worked fine when the side stand was up and the bike was in gear).

I'd take the side-stand switch off, give it a good clean with some WD40 &/or contact cleaner and see how you go... I doubt it is anything more complicated that that (note. make sure that pin/tang is located back in the hole in the side stand too of course).

Jenny x
    breakm and ncroadtoad like this.
  8. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Well, the side stand switch has been removed, so it's not that. And, WTF, it started right up this morning. Drove it to my local bike shop straight away (I really need to get a photo of the place -- Ducatis, Triumphs, etc. all in various states of repair...). Got it there turned it off and it wouldn't start again. Then it did. At least the mechanic was standing right there. He's going to pull it apart and figure out what is going on. I'll report back!
    Cal likes this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been working on the buffeting from my wind screen screen and finally have it close to zero. I went with the Givi screen spaced out 1 inch from the cowling and it was 85% better. The following photos show how I removed the final 15%. My bike has 1 inch up and 1 inch back risers so it made this mod a little easier. The photo shows a 1 piece fairing but ended up cutting it as the risers hit it at full lock.
    SAM_2826.JPG SAM_2827.JPG SAM_2828.JPG SAM_2829.JPG SAM_2831.JPG
    ncroadtoad likes this.
  10. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very resourceful, thanks for sharing the tip. I would concur completely on your conclusions for eliminating the buffeting. To anyone who lacks the motivation or skill to build your own set up as Cal did, there is always Madstad.
    Their windshields are set out from the cowling a couple inches, makes handlebar clearance a non-issue, lots of adjustment range and you can order side deflectors as part of the kit or stand alone.

https://madstad.com/collections/honda/products/honda-cb500x-2013-up
    https://madstad.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/side-deflector-kit-pair-honda-cb500x

It's not a cheap fix at $250, but it will eliminate the buffeting.
    Cal likes this.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    55.00 for the side defectors is not bad. I bought the Acrylic for 20.00
  12. Falang

Falang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At room temperature you can get a rough idea of the level of charge in the battery before you start the engine, per the table on the left. Battery Check.jpg
    If in the morning before the bike is started, following a full charge the day before (or following the procedure on the right), the voltage is less than 12.5V, it’s time to replace the battery.

Attached Files:

Twempie likes this.
  13. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Well, after checking the loom and all the contacts, it is working. Nothing obvious so we're figuring just some corrosion somewhere. So far so good, just need to go back and get the TPMS hooked up (they forgot).
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was my question to the OP... but not explained as well :)
  15. Tassietoyuki

Tassietoyuki n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be the kill switch on the handle bars of my 2013.
    Now I do not use the kill switch but found that sometimes my fuel pump would not run and hence bike would not start.
    I found that even with the switch in the "On" position if I pushed the switch on the bottom (on more if that makes sense) the fuel pump could be made to cut in and out.
    I disassembled it and cleaned the contacts and no more problems. This was over 12 months and 10000km ago. Bike had just over 50000km when it started to play up

markinthailand and 32dgrz like this.
  16. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are people using for pannier racks? There don't seem to be a whole lot of options out there and the Givi and SW-Motech seem hard to come by.
  17. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    You need a bit of luck to find SW Motech or Givi racks in stock at your local shop. If that's what you want then order with your preferred store and they will get you a rack from their distributor, Germany or Italy. The other option is a rack from Rally Raid UK but they are designed for soft luggage so creativity will be required if you wish to mount hard panniers. Again you will need to order from them direct since no shops carry them.
  18. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Quick search shows Givi racks available in Canada:

https://fortnine.ca/en/givi-specific-tubular-side-case-holder

$251 CAD works out to $192 USD.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer: