Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    You have a good dealer in Calgary. I heard of a similar experience from another CB owner in Kitchener or Cambridge, Ontario. Lesson here is give your local dealer a chance to beat an online quote...
    Cal likes this.
  2. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone using a “SpeedoHealer" for correcting speedometer MPH and actual mileage? After changing to the 16th front sprocket 150/70-17 rear tire I didn’t realize how much my mileage was going to be effected.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It should only be about 2 - 3 kph over actual speed. And that was with a TKC80 knobby on the rear.
  4. Laconic

Laconic Disenfranchised

Oddometer:
  5. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am taking my front wheel off for the first time-

Why in the world would honda set up an axle that requires a 1/2" drive 17mm hex (allen) bit to remove the front axle? I like to carry every tool I need for disassembly of the bike on board at all times. On all my other bikes, and I have too many, my tire irons have the required sizes to take both wheels off. Now I need to carry a heavy 1/2" socket driver, and a specialty 17mm hex (allen) head socket just to fix a flat? This seem ludicrous.

Anyway, heading to autozone now to pick one up. Why honda didn't go with a standard axle bolt and nut is beyond me. Just needed to vent, but if anyone has a workaround to not need to carry a very heavy tool for 1 operation, let me know.
  6. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found an axle removal tool to make it a bit better, but still, why?
  7. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are numerous solutions so just do a search. Here is one but if that doesn't fit your needs then perhaps the Honda is not for you.

https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f/honda-cb500x-wheel-spanner
    MotoSpen likes this.
  8. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got it figured out, my question is why design it to have to carry a specialized tool? I carry tire irons that double as axle wrenches. Works perfect for all my other bikes. Only so much room under the seat....
    MotoSpen likes this.
  9. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to buy a CB500x. New they are $7k. My only other option right now is a very used 2013 model with 21k miles. I put 15k on my last cb500x without issue but I'm pretty easy on a bike. This one clearly has been kept outside and a kid owned it. Anodized red levers, footpegs, cafe bar end mirrors, glow lights, lowering kit and loud exhaust... Now granted the exhaust is actually not a cheap brand. Id bet it was 500 bucks but I hate a loud bike. I just wonder if I should fork over the $4k extra toward a new bike.
    I figure I'll need a vstream windshield, centerstand and top box immediately. He has the stock parts still so that helps. It has a new chain and I think he installed a 16 on the front which suprises me. My 2015 didnt seem to need that. Apparently its a thing. So 21k kid miles... 2700. What do ya think?
  10. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Run away...:D
    Kahoona likes this.
  11. Limey 1

Limey 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    go do some more shopping....the good ones are out there
    Cal likes this.
  12. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    That isn’t the bike for you, keep shopping. There are an amazing number of people trying to sell a motorcycle and some excellent deals to be had.
  13. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found my 2014 in mint condition with rally raid level 3 kit AND mosko soft panniers and rack for 4200. Basically bought the rally raid kit and mosko panniers and got the cb500x for free! Be patient, I looked for 2 years before I found the right deal.
  14. ts01

ts01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For example maybe this one: https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,10124.0.html

Not mine, know nothing about it, but sure looks like a better bet than the one in question.
  15. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a great deal! Even way worth a bit of a drive if it's within a couple states.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Set the rear shock sag today on my 2018 and was surprised with the settings. I was running the rear shock on the number 4 which is standard. I got out the tape measure and found that on the 4 setting the static sag was 20% and the rider sag ( 175lbs) was at 40%. I turned up the preload to get 12% static and 32% rider sag and the shock ended up on the number 8 setting. Going for the last ride of the season tomorrow as the forecast is for plus 18. I'll see how the new setting preforms
  17. Sail2948

Sail2948 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a few months of searching and waiting, my local dealer finally received a 2021 cb500X!
    I already have a Rally Raid engine guard and rear rack in the garage waiting for install. Heated grips and handguards will be next after they arrive.
    :happay
    fullsizeoutput_203f.jpeg
    danceswithcages, Bors, KennyV and 9 others like this.
  18. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up biting the bullet and putting the factory heated grips on mine. There were definitely cheaper alternatives, but I reeaaally like have everything tidy. I also wired my power station and gps power mount into the factory auxilliary drop. Dont ever have to worry about draining the battery. Everything on when the key is on, off with the key off. No direct to battery power anywhere.
    Oyabun likes this.
  19. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really like the black the only choice us 19’ riders was red! Nice choice on the RR engine guard looks factory when installed. Congrats!
  20. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 14 with the white and the big red "X", but its fully built for gnarly trails and laydowns, so I just painted it. Wast a fan of the X or the white.. I messed up the first paint job tnough, so went to the actual auto paint store and got the right stuff this time, not home depot rattlecans. Went with black on the tank and darker silver metallic on the shroud. Carbon fiber rally st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg stripe and a custom made sticker that is the africa twin logo with 500x incorporated. Has full level 3 rally raid, plus every other possible protection and performance enhancer, so its probably pretty close to Africa twin burliness, just not HP or torque. Second paint job is a winter project, ill post when done.