Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    snow foamed....hey I can do that here in Canada by taking my bike outside :lol3
    Swanster likes this.
  2. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good Swanster, sorry it's going away for the winter. That ACF50 seems to be real popular in Europe. I'd never even heard of it until I started following these CB500X threads.
  3. Revoke

Revoke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bit late to the party, but Whites Powersports also makes a set of heated grips, which I installed recently at the same time as a handlebar swap. Like the OEM set, they have an integrated control in the grip (I was quoted some ludicrous price when I asked about the OEM set, so went with these at AU$160). I have them wired to the accessory plug under the seat, so they're only on when the key's on.

I imagine you could wire up more or less anything (with reasonable power draw) to the accessory plug. I followed this youtube tutorial, and there's some other useful information here. You need some electrical widgets (the sealed crimp connectors). Dead easy to do, though.
    GabbysGarage likes this.
  4. Swanster

Swanster Never been here

Oddometer:

It's not going away for the winter. It's covered in ACF so that it can come out to play :-)
    The ACF protects everything from the shit on the roads. She will look filthy but be good underneath, then in Feb/March when the salts gone I give her a really good clean
  5. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you apply that is it an all-over thing, or are there parts or materials that need to be avoided?
  6. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Constant amatuer

Oddometer:
    Avoid tires and brakes, for obvious reasons. It doesn't harm any surface though, good on plastic and rubber.
    TheOtherBart, ncroadtoad and Swanster like this.
  7. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to try this stuff
  8. Swanster

Swanster Never been here

Oddometer:
  9. Johnnyfever

Johnnyfever Constant amatuer

Oddometer:
    I have watched several shootouts between the two, and so far no clear winner.
  10. OLusr

OLusr n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if anyone has a CB500x Rally Raid Stage 2 in the Austin TX area they wouldn't mind letting me sit on. The stock CB500x feels good, but the Rally Raid seems pretty darn different. I'm looking to buy an older generation and upgrading to Rally Raid.

Thanks very much!
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It's just a bit taller. Very well balanced with the 19/17 wheels. Can still punt it along on the bitumen just as hard as if you had 17/17 fitted.
    OLusr likes this.
  12. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode my almost stock 2018 until the start of the pandemic in March/April. Up until then, I had a tall Givi windshield and a short pair of Motech risers, with a few other doo-dads. The bike felt great at all speeds with that combination, including 70mph on the freeway with absolutely no buffeting. (5'10" with 32" inseam). No buffeting at speed, and handled great in the twisties. The handling was so good, that I was hesitant to upgrade to Rally Raid Level 2. But, I did it anyway. Once I dialed in the Tractive suspension (which was easier than I thought), the handling is just as good in the twisties (with TKC80s, so handling is better), but the tall windshield doesn't fit anymore and I'll probably sell it (along with the risers). The stock windshield is back on the bike. Not great, but not bad. The RR bike is taller, but I always thought my stock 2018 bike was a little too short.

Good choice on an older non-ABS model to upgrade. Based on my experience and compared to what I've seen on YouTube, the non-ABS looks a lot less awkward to upgrade - especially if you're doing the work solo, and upgrading the steering head bearings at the same time. It's a chunk of change, but you'll build a unique bike that's very capable off road. YMMV.
    ncroadtoad and Cruz like this.
  13. Swanster

Swanster Never been here

Oddometer:
    Me and a mate took the bikes out yesterday

Same age but they look like bikes from different eras

[​IMG][​IMG]
    DaFoole and Motogasoline like this.
  14. OLusr

OLusr n00b

Oddometer:
    Great info. I'm 6-1, and sitting on a 2020 felt a little small. So a level 2 probably feels great! I'll look into the ABS hassles. I'm very attracted to abs after years on a 73 cb500! Thanks.
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi OLusr - There is no difference between fitting the Rally-Raid wheels to the ABS or non-ABS bikes, they are exactly the same, and use all the OEM hardware etc. 2016-18 models come with a replacement front ABS ring, 2013-15 models use the original one.

for info. The Rally-Raid kit was developed on the ABS model, as that is the only version sold in Europe.

The only thing which is more difficult to do with an ABS model is to fit a longer front brake hose should you wish to put significantly taller risers/bars on the CB500X, but that is not part of the Rally-Raid conversion.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jenny x
    Piscoot and OLusr like this.
  16. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jenny, Don’t get me wrong, my 2018 RR is far superior to the stock in every way, not even in the same league. To be specific about my previous comment, and emphasizing working alone... the rear shock looks like it’s a lot easier to install because there is no under-seat ABS unit getting in the way (if you have an ABS model, I recommend adding the remote adjuster to your shopping cart). Also, the bolts on the replacement RR front ABS-ring are extremely close to the inside of the front fork leg. Mitch at RR says it’s “close but OK”, and I haven’t had any issues, but I would prefer a little more air between them, as they are only around 0.5mm apart IIRC. I wouldn’t buy a bike in this class without ABS BTW.

The bike has been flawless on Pacific Northwest mountain trails. YMMV.
    OLusr likes this.
  17. OLusr

OLusr n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks y'all! great info. I'm glad to hear ABS is recommended and I feel decently comfortable with most of the wrenching I've see so far. That is a handsome switch Rally Raid sells, but for $100 i might look into making my own :-D Though you do say "adjuster" where I only see a switch... Thanks again, now back to refreshing CL and FB. There's a very low mileage, stock, 2015, a 4 hours drive away for $4600 i have my eyes on and have a trip planned that will take me close enough to check it out. Fingers crossed.
    Oyabun likes this.
  18. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted on the Mosko page
    Anyone here using the Mosko Moto Hood tank bag?
    I was wondering the fit and when standing if there’s any interfering?
  19. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remote hydraulic adjuster
    https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f-hydraulic-preload-adjuster
  20. OLusr

OLusr n00b

Oddometer: