Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. GabbysGarage

GabbysGarage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to know the OEM part number?
  2. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    A nice fall day for a ride in the country. Bring a lunch, avoid people and have some fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    North Carolina has dozens of great state boat launch areas like this one. The ones in the countryside are never crowded (most of the time I'm the only one at them) and they are perfect spots to have a coffee, take a pee or have lunch. With Covid exploding in rural NC, it's a good option. The closest I got to a human was about 50' at a gas pump.
    Happy Trails
    32dgrz, Twempie, Piscoot and 9 others like this.
  3. lesmeister

lesmeister One of the OLD Farts Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apologize for the long missive, I get paid by the word for my work. :brow

Due to a leaking fork seal I will be removing the fork tubes on my 2019 CB500X ABS, and thought why not do the other things that need doing, Fork Gaiters, bar risers, longer cables and suspension upgrade. With that in mind, would like to prevail upon the collective wisdom of other owners as to what has worked for them.

Fork Protection - My measurements are: Upper Tube 41mm= 1.61in x Lower Stanchion 63mm= 2.48in x Long ??? Need to know the MAX length of travel at full extension, don’t want Fork Boots/Gaiters so long they bunch/buckle up at standard ride height. Had a set on my ’15 that did this and it looked ugly. Have seen the Yamaha Fork Gaiters Bolt/R-Spec 2014-2020 {41mm/1.6in x 62mm/2.4in x 190mm/7.5in} recommended, but am not sure if the 190mm length is sufficient for the ’19 X5.

Suspension Options - Body dimensions • Weight: 199lb/90.3kg • Height: 6’-0”/182.8cm • Inseam: 32”/81.3cm • Reach: 35”/88.9cm. • Riding conditions: 90/10 paved and unpaved roads, with some occasional gnarly two track sections in western North Carolina, USA. • Riding style: Ride quickly on pavement, and cautiously on the loose stuff. • Tires: Continental Trail Attack II (for as long as they are available) • Looking for an upgrade that will be less punishing on the unpaved roads, especially washboard areas, and not be too soft as to loose good control on the paved roads. • Installation: I am capable of removing/installing the fork tubes and shock for service, but prefer to have any actual modifications of done by an authorized service facility that can assist in getting the setting right for my riding weight/conditions/style.

Have had suspension products from Ohlins, Rally Raid, Cogent Dynamics, Nitron and Andreani recommended. All but Rally Raid are available from dealers/shops in the my local area. I am familiar with the first three, but not the last two. If anyone has used any of these products, and could enlighten me with their experiences it would be appreciated.

RAISING THE BAR
    Would like to raise my {ProTaper, Contour, Henry/Reed bend, 1-1/8”} handlebars on my 2019 CB500X ABS. Also have Barkbuster hand guards mounted. The cables/wiring harness and brake line were rerouted to be able to fit the handlebar/handguards to the bike. Want to add at least 1 inch of rise, but do not have enough slack to do so. Looking for cable, wiring harness and brake line extensions/options that would allow me to raise this handlebar/handguard combination 1-2 inches.

Spent a considerable amount of time reading the various ADVRider Forums, and other sites, trying to find information about replacing/raising the bars, but haven’t been able to find the ‘Silver Bullet’, or any combination of ideas that looked like they would allow me to achieve my goal.

Also attempted to find the length of the stock cables, but have had no success. Would like to know the OEM length in order figure the total extended cable length needed. Think 2-3 inches longer would be sufficient, but haven’t found a source for extended cables that list the 2019 CB500X.

Yes, I suppose measuring the ones on the bike might be an option, but to get an accurate measurement, it would be necessary to remove the cables, switch gear and brake hose from the bike. This would mean not using the bike for quite some time, or doing the remove/replace twice. Not viable options for me as this is my only bike, and it gets a lot of use.

Have the following questions:

1. Has anyone found a source for extended cables for US Spec 2019 Honda CB500X ABS

If so, have you used their product, and how satisfied were you with the process and end result?

3. Does anyone know the length of the OEM cables, shown below, for a US Spec 2019 Honda CB500X AC?

- OEM/CABLE A, THROTTLE 17910-MGZ-J81

- OEM/CABLE B, THROTTLE 17920-MGZ-J81

- OEM/CABLE, CLUTCH 22870-MKP-J81

- OEM/SWITCH ASSY., ENGINE STOP 35130-MKP-A81

- OEM/SWITCH ASSY., TURN SIGNAL 35200-MKP-A81

Source for part numbers shown above. <https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5c7f2b6e87a8661aa039109a/handle-lever-switch-cable>

- OEM/FRONT BRAKE HOSE A, FR. BRAKE 45125-MKP-J81

Source for part numbers shown above. <https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5c7f2b6e87a8661aa039109c/front-brake-master-cylinder-2

4. Does anyone know length of the OEM cables, shown below, for a US Spec 2020 Honda Rebel 500, CMX500A AC? They might be an option if they are longer and have the same connections.

- OEM/CABLE A, THROTTLE (HI-LEX) 17910-MKG-A01

- OEM/CABLE B, THROTTLE(HI-LEX) 17920-MKG-A01

- OEM/CABLE, CLUTCH(HI-LEX) 22870-MKG-A01

- OEM/SWITCH ASSY., STARTER & ENGINE STOP [+] 35130-K87-A31

- OEM/SWITCH ASSY., TURN SIGNAL (TOYO DENSO) 35200-K87-A31

Source for part numbers shown above. <https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemp...660b08a1d8c0/handle-lever-switch-cable-mirror>

- OEM/HOSE A, FR. BRAKE 45125-K87-A81

Source for part numbers shown above. <https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5e3d9c8287a8660b08a1d8c2/front-brake-master-cylinder-2

5. Does anyone know of any other Honda model {or any other motorcycle brand/model} that might use longer cables with the same end fittings that could be used.

Thanks in advance to all that respond. Will be glad to do private messaging if it would be more convenient and/or less disruptive to the forum. . . . . . . . . ’hpd’ (herr professor doktor) lesmeister
  4. Baley

Baley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just passing along that I have my ‘19 for sale in Houston if anyone knows a rider wanting one. She’s great: heated grips, Acerbis bark busters, T-Rex crash bars and skid plate, GIVI rear rack and box. Almost 3,000 miles. Only selling because I told my wife I wouldn’t go on the highways but with this one I can’t resist so I have to sell her!

PM me or it will be up on CycleTrader by Dec 3 or 4

Happy riding everyone.

A6373159-20FB-42D4-9DF0-78E4E1335742.jpeg
  5. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I know it might sound harsh, but have thought about changing wife instead of bikes? Easy-Peasy ;-)
    Just joking. Ride safe.
    Swanster and Cal like this.
  6. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You gonna replace it with a Trail 125?
  7. Baley

Baley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was going to but I found a great deal on a Rally with only 204 miles on it.....I definitely want a CT eventually.

And Oyabun I took your advice....but what’s your address cause now I need somewhere to live :imaposer
    pm9654 likes this.
  8. IJustWantMyZBack

IJustWantMyZBack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pm inbound
  9. Kahoona

Kahoona I’m just sortin' some stuff out. Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  11. Swanster

Swanster Never been here

Oddometer:
    New set of Avon Trekriders fitted today

[​IMG]
    Cal and ncroadtoad like this.
  12. richard310

richard310 Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    Looking good with those tires; curious to see your thoughts on those. Never really could go wrong with Avon's as I loved them when I had a set of RoadRiders on my old 74 CB200.

...but I think the bike behind yours needs a few most stickers. I see a lot of unused real estate, especially on the helmet and fork.
    tart, Swanster and ncroadtoad like this.
  13. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    He couldn't afford an RV :D
  14. wphillips007

wphillips007 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I am now the new owner of the HeliteTurtle 2.0 air vest - expensive but if your wife saw the YouTube videos on it she might give a big thumbs up for highway riding - my family did.
    richard310 likes this.
  15. Swanster

Swanster Never been here

Oddometer:
    I was a bit worried about leaving my bike there in case he saw my Bell sticker :lol3
  16. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    No worries. I have a large garage/workshop, a 2016 and a 2020 500x, we an both fit there. Because I think that way I will be kindly asked to move out from the house too. ;-)
  17. richard310

richard310 Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    You've already took the gateway and put the first sticker on. It's only a matter of time before you out-do his Lol.

Either that or he's going to steal your bell sticker to put on his bike.
  18. Baley

Baley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey (even though I’m trying sell) what’s better than one cb500x?......2!
  19. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    You're right, that's why I have a (half) 2014 cb500x as my development bike, a fully customized PCX, me wife's 500F and about 9 pedal pushbikes for our family.
    And I have to make room for a lathe, so something has to go ;-)
  20. 1UglyBastard

1UglyBastard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect. I think I'm gonna do this this weekend. My X has fallen over a couple of times with the weight of my panniers on it.