Honda CL450 resto

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by johnnyc14, Dec 20, 2008.

1. johnnyc14

johnnyc14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I do have the diamond stone refacer, you have to keep the stones fresh.

Started on the bottom end of the engine today. Bill Lane suggested a method to get rid of the messy auto chain oiler. I removed the nut and the rest of the guts of the oiler. Then I cleaned out the inside of the shaft and the bronze oil screen and washer with brake cleaner. I re-installed the bronze screen and washer and pushed it to it's stop then filled the void to the end of the shaft with RTV silicone. Then I re-installed the nut and screw forcing the RTV out through the oil holes in the main shaft. This should seal it up permanently. Thanks Bill!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the trans and crank back in the cases and used Three Bond sealer to seal the case halves up. Then I saw the kick start shaft on the bench. DOH!!! Back apart and clean off the sealant and install the forgotten parts and more sealant and back together again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look Ma, no kickstarter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New cam chain.

[​IMG]

I got the oil pump and clutch back on before I ran out of gas and went in the house. I've been spending so much time out on the garage my wife thinks I'm a stranger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. MNellis

MNellis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, that motor sure looks good. I've got a couple of questions.
    1. What are you using to get the cases so clean? Surely it's not just a solvent tank and it doesn't look like it was media blasted.
    2. When you replaced the grease fitting on the swingarm did you have any problem removing the old one? Does it just unscrew? I'm thinking of replacing my stock ones on the swingarm bolt and the clutch activation.
    [​IMG]
  3. johnnyc14

Oddometer:

I cleaned the part in a Storm King parts washer at work. It's like a giant dishwasher and used a fairly harsh detergent and waster near boiling. It actually takes off a lot of the clear coating on most of the parts. I had a lot of trouble getting all the sludge out of the sump, even the storm king did not get it all. I just used varsol and a brush then the pressure washer to get out the rest. The outside of the cases I hand sanded with Scotch Brite and painted with Aluminum colored engine enamel.

The factory grease fitting just pressed into a non threaded hole in the swing arm pivot shaft. I just grabbed it with a pair of vise grips and pulled it out. The treads on the standard fitting I put in are 1/4" fine thread so I just drilled out the hole and tapped it.

John
  4. krotchity

krotchity Aussies Rule!!!

Oddometer:
    John, what did you use to refurbish the chrome on the rims? The rear rim on my CL350 is down-right ugly! your CL looks incredible. Good job!

Chris
  5. WooPig

WooPig Proudly Patinaed

Oddometer:
    I don't know all those Honda K-whatever numbers, but there's fender on e-bay. Ain't cheap though.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CL450-K3-K4-FRONT-FENDER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem320330447380QQitemZ320330447380QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Beautiful bike man. I must admit i wasn't accidentally cruising on ebay when I ran across the fender. I was wondering if I could afford a bike like that!
  6. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris, I just used steel wool on the chrome of the rim. It was in pretty decent shape before I started though. I used fine emery cloth strips on the spokes and polished them one by one.
  7. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I saw that new one for $125.00. It's a little too rich for me. There was a nice used one that just sold yesterday for $35.00 but like an idiot I forgot to bid on it. The good news is there bound to be more for sale and I'm not in any great rush.

If you're looking for a nice CL450 you won't find one nicer than this. So far the price is less than I paid for mine and it's 100 times nicer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...04290QQitemZ120361604290QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles
  8. Udo

Udo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job. Been doing similar on a couple of '67 Triumphs, so I can identify. For those split finger tips try some Pulvex All Purpose Veterinary Ointment. Should be able to find it at most feed stores. I have the same problem here in cold, dry Colorado.
  9. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    Thanks Udo, I asked our Vet. about that stuff and he called it "tit salve". Apparently they use it on the udders of cows when they get skin dryness. Seems to work pretty good on my fingers too!!

Well i got my front wheel put on correctly tonight. I saw Matt's post and realized that I had done the same thing, put the axle in from the wrong direction. You can see it;s off center to the right in the first pic and correct in the next one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to spiff up my wiring harness as well. I found some 1.5" heat shrink with a 2-1 shrink ratio on e-bay and bought a 4 foot section. It shrinks down to 3/4" and worked very well. It was large enough to get over all the connectors and it's quite flexible after shrinking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the size before and after.

[​IMG]

I put it on in sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying this one, loving the detail and quality photos.

Thank You
  11. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    Got the engine mounted on the stand so I won't have to wrestle with it on the bench.

[​IMG]

Painted the cylinders black. They have been bored and 1.0 mm over pistons fitted, also new rings and wrist pins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    I got the cam timing done and the cam chain installed around all the wheels and sprockets and got the master link in. I've never seen an engine with so many rollers and sprockets in the cam drive system. I followed the instructions Bill Lane gave me.

Align LT mark on the crank rotor with the pointer. I actually used a small wood wedge between the rotor and stator the hold the crank from turning as it did not want to stay put while I routed the chain.

[​IMG]

Align the timing marks on the right end of both cams with the marks on the right intake and exhaust cam bearing caps. My engine has cams from 2 different engines. One has a line as the timing mark and one has a dot.

Intake side.

[​IMG]

Exhaust side.

[​IMG]

Then verify it's right by making sure the cam lobes are aimed as follows as viewed from the left of the engine. (Left EX: 3.00 valve closed)
    (Right EX: 5:30 valve almost completely open) (Left IN 8:30 valve closed) (Right IN: 12:00 getting tight but still closed)
    I did all that and rolled the engine over a few times and all is good. I'm glad I had Bill's instructions as the service manual leaves much to be desired here.
    I have the master link installed and the side plate pressed on but I still haven't decided how to rivet over the ends of the master link pins.
  13. muddywater

muddywater Bless Your Heart

Oddometer:
    Keep em coming!!

great pics
  14. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    awesome work! Holy crap what a great thread. :clap
  15. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    Got a little more work done today. I cleaned up the intake manifolds and when I went to mount them I found a very poor match to the intake ports. and they were not very flat. I used my Dremel with a sanding drum to hog out the inside of each rubber manifold until it matched the intake port then used a flat piece of MDF and some 240 sandpaper and lots of elbow grease to sand the gasket surface flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before and after shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also had to hog out the gaskets to match the new size of the manifolds.

[​IMG]

Now they are a perfect match.

[​IMG]

I have 3 sets of carbs so I got them all together and picked to pair that looks the best. This is the only pair out of the 3 that has the same style mixture screws as the carb kits I bought. I disassembled both keeping the parts separate and polished the caps. Tomorrow I'll soak them in carb cleaner at work for a few hours.
    They are pretty yukky inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The caps came out great. Here's before and after.

[​IMG]
  16. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    I sent the carb bodies and float bowls out to be cleaned ultrasonically. They turned out very nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last bolt I installed in the front cam cover hd the threads stripped out. I repaired the hole with a "Timesert" thread insert. It's a solid insert not like a helicoil wound wire insert. The kit comes with the correct drill bit, counter sink tool, tap, and installer. 5 minute repair that is stronger than the original.

The insert is on the right.

[​IMG]

I took precautions to keep chips out of the fresh engine.

[​IMG]

First step, drill out the hole.

[​IMG]

Then counter sink so the top of the insert sits below the gasket surface.

[​IMG]

Run the tap into the hole.

[​IMG]

It's hard to see the finished job but it turned out great.

[​IMG]

Finally she is fully dressed!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Burnt Oil

Burnt Oil Ive drank that

Oddometer:
    Your hands probably dont even get dirty working on that thing!:D I really like the timesets, what a great idea.
  18. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    Magnificent work. Need a pupil? :lol3
  19. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely gorgeous work - please keep those pics coming! :thumb
  20. TEXASYETI

TEXASYETI Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread. Love watching the progress! :clap