Honda CL450 resto

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by johnnyc14, Dec 20, 2008.

1. johnnyc14

johnnyc14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all of you for your positive comments, they are keeping me motivated to get this bike finished.

After work last night I got my son to help me toss the engine back into the frame. Then I spent most of the day today putttering around cleaning up and painting small parts.

[​IMG]

Here's my "paint shop" :lol:

[​IMG]

I turned off the heater and painted a bunch of small parts and made quite a fog in the garage. Had to open the door for a bit after painting. It was -29C this morning so I didn't leave it open for long.

[​IMG]

I took the coil pack apart and replaced one cracked coil and installed new condensers. Looks like new again. Here's before and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I set the spark timing statically using a buzz box. I hate this Honda point system! I had to set the point plate to the fully retarded position and adjust the left points to the max gap and the right ones to the min gap to get both cylinders timed correctly. Even my old Norton had a better set up than this.

Here's where I left it for the day. It's starting to look like a motorcycle again!

[​IMG]
  2. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Progress looks great, you'll be finished before the riding season starts up there.:lol3

Mike
  3. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    I spent the day today getting the electrics re-installed. I fumbled around a bit cause it's been 3 years since I took it apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's almost ready to make smoke!! Got to buy a new battery tomorrow.
  4. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool :thumb

you ain't wasting no time either, perfect use of some time off I'd say :beer
  5. handirifle

handirifle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VERY VERY nice work. Brings back memories. The first NEW bike I ever bought was a 73 CB450. That was a nice bike. Fast and smooth. Not bad for $1200.

keep up the good work.
  6. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great work, perhaps one of the best restoration reports I've read! :clap
  7. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    More progress. I got the carbs together and mounted and the tank is on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found some high quality fuel hose at the local Yamaha dealer for their snowmobiles. The new battery is in but I have to make some kind of cover for it so it does not short against the bottom of the seat. Then I have some work to do on the exhaust before it goes back on.
    [​IMG]
  8. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    My exhaust system is in kind of rough shape as noted previously. I spent the whole evening repairing the rust holes and I also cut open 1 muffler in the middle and pulled out a piece of baffle that was rattling around inside. Then some polishing with steel wool, scotch brite and penetrating oil and it looks presentable. I found my missing heat shield, it's been so long since I took it apart I forgot where I stashed all the parts. I had to fabricate and weld a small bracket to the upper exhaust pipe for the rear of the front heat shield.

Before;

[​IMG]

During repair;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the piece of baffle I pulled out;

[​IMG]

I cut some patches from some old CB mufflers I had around here, don't worry, they are rusted out on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Then I welded on some patches and here's the result;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The patches are on the bottom of the muffler and not visible. Here's how it looks cleaned up and installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got the exhaust on I put some gas in it and gave it a crank and it fired right up. I set the timing with a light and adjusted the carbs. My fuel tap is leaking so I'll have to wait until the rebuild kit I ordered comes in so I can finish the tuning but it sounds GREAT!!

When I first started it up I could tell that the charging system was working because the lights got brighter when I revved the engine, it seemed like they were getting too bright. I went to get my multimeter to check the voltage but before I could hook it up the charging system stopped working. I'll have to figure that out later.
  9. thrilhou

thrilhou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noticed the Uni filters... I've read that this type of filter is problematic because it allows more air to pass through the carb than the stock air box... Did you re-jet the carbs or is this not as big a deal as it's made out to be?
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    If it's like the CL350, the stock filters are these goofy metal cans with an integral paper element glued to it. Usually the paper deteriorates and you are left with metal can and no filter (and bits of paper getting into your engine). Almost impossible to find NOS and no aftermarket replacement except the Uni pod filters.

I had a '76 CB500T which was the last gasp of this engine family. Yes, the ignition points SUCK:huh :D

johnnyc14, awesome job! I don't know if you have inspired me or made me want to give up and part out my RM370 project though.:cry :lol3
  11. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    The constant vacuum carbs used on these bikes were not as sensitive to intake changes as more recent ones are. I have increased the main jets from the stock 130's to 140's but that's all. Time will tell how it runs but other 450 owners I've talked to say this will be OK.
  12. johnnyc14

Oddometer:

Thanks for your comments. The great thing about this project is that parts are relatively easy to get for it. I know how frustrating it can be to get going on a project and not be able to find the parts you need. I was going to do a Kawasaki F9 Bighorn but when I checked e-bay I saw hardly any parts for sale so I've about given up on that bike. There are literally hundreds of CB/CL 450 parts on e-bay at any one time. Still it took almost 2 years to gather all the parts I need to get this bike done. Can't wait till the snow is gone to take it for a rip!!
  13. thrilhou

thrilhou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Good to know. I may bother you some time down the road for a report on how they worked with only a main jet increase.
  14. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    The final stages of this project!! Today I made a poor mans battery cover and got the seat hardware cleaned up, repainted and installed. After a little more fiddling with the carbs it runs very well and has very good throttle response. I'll try to figure out how to post a video from my digital camera so you hear it run. Here's some pics from today.

To make the battery cover I used the plastic from a 4.4 liter oil jug.

[​IMG]

I cut it to the shape of the top of the battery plus flaps to fold down on each side.

[​IMG]

I put each of the flaps in my vise to use like a metal break and just heated the plastic with my heat gun and folded it down on each side. I left the back side not folded because of the vent tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally it rolled off the lift. I took it for a little rip down the street but it's very icy out there so the road test will have to wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the first time in over a month I put the lift away and I'll be able to park my truck in the garage again.

Here's the lift in the down position.

[​IMG]

With the rolling legs installed ready to stand it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now just stand it up. It's pretty heavy but I can still do it by myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now just roll it up against the wall. It takes up very little space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was some interest in the linkage for the lift so here's a couple of pics. One of these days I'll draw up a set of plans for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well now I just have to wait for spring. I finally got a front fender on ebay, it should be shipped tomorrow.
  15. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap Congratulations!! Super nice work. Any plans for future projects?
  16. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    A few finishing touches. I had no luck finding a CL450 fender for a reasonable price so I took a chance and bought a CL350 one on e-bay. There seems to be lots of them. The mounting bracket part of the fender is different but the curved part over the wheel turned out to be exactly the same. I drilled out the 6 rivets from both fenders and bead blasted the rust off both parts then used 5mm machine screws to put it together. It turned out fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put clear silicone between the parts to act as a vibration dampener and prevent rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was having problems with the charging system as well. I replaced the rectifier with one from Oregon Motorcycle Products. It was charging after that as long as the headlight was off but would not charge with the light on. I read through some posts in the technical help area of the Honda Twins site and found that I could connect the 2 windings of the stator together and bypass the connection made in the headlight switch. After I did that it is now charging great. Thanks to Steve and Bill Lane on the Honda Twins site for that info. I also installed a rebuild kit in my fuel petcock to stop the dripping. It runs like a top now and I can't wait till the streets are dried up so I can take it for a spin.

[​IMG]
  17. WooPig

WooPig Proudly Patinaed

Oddometer:
    Well done. Be proud. :clap
  18. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job, Nice looking bike, I'd like one for blasting around the dirt backroads.
  19. SOS

SOS Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer:
    Very nice indeed. You are a true craftsman. Thanks for sharing.:D
  20. johnnyc14

Oddometer:
    <table class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" colspan="2">Yesterday 10:03 PM</td> </tr> <tr title="Post 9078513" valign="top"> <td class="alt1" width="125" align="center">SOS</td> <td class="alt2">Very nice indeed. You are a true craftsman. Thanks for sharing.:D</td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" colspan="2">Yesterday 07:57 PM</td> </tr> <tr title="Post 9077473" valign="top"> <td class="alt1" width="125" align="center">Ernest T</td> <td class="alt2">Good job, Nice looking bike, I'd like one for blasting around the dirt backroads.</td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" colspan="2">Yesterday 07:55 PM</td> </tr> <tr title="Post 9077456" valign="top"> <td class="alt1" width="125" align="center">WooPig</td> <td class="alt2">Well done. Be proud. :clap

Thanks very much guys, we need to do something up here during the long winter!!:1drink

John
    </td></tr></tbody></table>