Honda CR480?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by billy bee, Jul 15, 2021.

1. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother-in-law recently died and left this bike in his estate. I believe it is a 1982 or 1983 CR480. But I'm not 100% sure. I think I can check the number of gears to determine the year--'82 being a four-speed; '83 a five.

Hoping you all could offer some insight on this bike. I can get more pictures over the weekend.

Ultimately, I will be selling the bike for the estate. So, any ideas on where to list it are welcome. I cannot list it here as I am not the owner. Maybe ThumperTalk. Open to other ideas.

Thanks,
    Bill

[​IMG]
  2. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the vin number in frame. The 83s were widely regarded as a much better bike and more desirable for post-vintage racing. They are stupid reliable.

There are a lot of Facebook groups for vintage dirt bikes; likely you would find a buyer pretty quick. Also vft.org is a good spot, yes it is flat track but he has a non-flat track side and gets a lot of traction from west coast clicks.

Here is a pretty comprehensive article on them and comparisons to 82. http://pulpmx.com/2012/11/28/gps-classic-steel-36-1983-cr480r/
  3. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Little more digging in my memory bank, that is an 83. The 82 had a flat "block" seat, no forward piece like that one. Should be the beloved 5 speed mill. The kickers on those originally came as an aluminum piece that was susceptible to break, the 82s had a steel setup. May be a good thing to check before selling.
  4. DrewMerk

DrewMerk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to think that it would be ok for you to post this bike here in the flea market. Selling here on behalf of the estate (assuming you have the legal authority to do so) seems to be within the rules that the bike is "yours". Just give full disclosure that you are selling on behalf of the estate.

Worst case scenario, the mods can just nuke your post.
  5. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    I’m a little late to the party but yea it’s the desirable 83 with a Clarke desert tank. My family still has one that we’ve all put a million miles on. I think they bring a premium these days and that one looks like it would clean up nicely.