Honda CRF 450L Old Guys Marrs Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by NEPA 450x, Oct 16, 2018.

?

How many Cheeseburgers can u eat ?

1. haha,I don't eat meat.

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. haha,as many as I can get !

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. haha,as many as I can with a pbr.

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. haha,they don't have cheeseburgers on Marrs.

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's alot of mixed 450L posts out there,I'm just into getting the most out of the 450L and low cost for the riding I now do at 59,I've rode my 08 x over 500 hours since 2011,all that time,I've broke one chain out in no were land.

Maybe here talk about yourself,your ride,old school setup and mantance.
    Add ons,I've u crashed yet and how,lol

Maybe brag here cuz were old, about all the things you have rode,were,and if you raced anything.

Me, I did my retirement backwards,I'm self employed, I keep most of my trophies around ,so
    1st,
    so I no were all my hard work,money,time has gone,
    It reminds me of All the GREAT PEOPLE and Friends I met racing,riding, traveling, all the nights driving,working,eating hotdogs,pbr,
    And all the great things I've learned wrenching,setting things up,building
    Susp,motors,trans,rears,welding,
    And all that these great people that shared there knowledge of everything with me now that I did to be here now,
    Just to have a magic button and a 450L Honda to enjoy life on.

So when I die,my kids get to load all my trophies up,and bitch when they have to take them all to the dump.

So let's laugh,bench race,drink beer,like us old guys do. 20181016_115716.jpg

Talk about old guy mods,
    jt
  2. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    My idles set about right I like 1900 better than 1800 rpms 20181016_130415.jpg 20181016_125949.jpg
  3. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Hit 100 miles tooday,been off road since,first set of adj worked well,1st gear I can't use second a bit high,14 cs be perfect for me,film later if I can figure out go pro.
    Also it hunting season here and I haven't been out here all summer cuz of washouts

Attached Files:

4. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez, NEPA, some stuff on your 1st post here sounds like me. I grew up in the Scranton area, and my older sister still lives in Lake Winola, not far from you. Used to ride in the Suscon area and Springbrook area long before the Montage mountain ski slopes. Good memories and they keep getting better. Keep on riding. 59 ain't old. Enjoy that 450l. I seriously thought about one , but bought a new drz instead.
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  5. 1wicked55

1wicked55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about a 450L or X
    I will wait until summer before I decide.

Let’s hope this thread does not get hyjacked.
    We need a good spot to talk about these bikes
    NEPA 450x and larryboy like this.
  6. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Anytime u old farts want to ride,I'm game, I'm posting a go pro if I can figure it out,if I don't have appointments at garage,I'll ride anytime,
    At this stage in life,I'll make enough to just pay my monthly bills,
    I have no Bucket list,no new car,no wife ,but new motorcycles,,my Choice,,,there's 2 places to stay 1 house or 3 houses down from garage I live above,that u can prep your bike,and keep it safe,all free. Bonfire pit out back, I'm not a bad guy,,and like beer,
    I'm never was a theif,and I'm bad at lieing,
    If your not a dick,,cuz I can be a bigger one,,lol
    Anyone is welcome to come up and ride if planed,
    ONE THING I ASK IS,,TO PREPARE YOUR BIKE FOR THE RIDE, OR MAKE TIME BEFORE SO I CAN GO TROUGH IT,,
    MY SHIT DON'T BREAK,, AND DON'T TRUST MANY PEOPLE s WORK,LOL

LEAVES ARE FALLING AND IT SUPER RIDING the NEXT 2 WEEKS,
  7. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    If your a good person,like to ride and on a budget,,
    Bring your sleeping bag,,, how fair is that?
  8. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Great riding L today,I'm getting better with fi,2nd gear there is no throttle problems,almost,
    If your in 1st, get to 2nd as quick as u can,on the L,, in tight stuff 2nd was so easy to control throttle,1st seemed to work the best,if u were coming up to a 5 ft wall u needed to get up, 1st works only when pinned, and only had 5 foot to go,

Now if for me if L was a tooth higher on cs,
    The control of everything would be better.
    1st seems to low for me,and 2nd a bit to high but I'm in the NE woods that takes momementem riding, and u seem to learn to anticipate the quickness of FI after a bit of riding, even when my glasses fogged up and count see and ran into washout 3 foot deep in 2nd ,if i was on my x ,i could of tapped 1st and got out of washouts, if u tap to 1st on L, it's very short and abrupt, it's hard to pull smooth and get traction, and gear is short, so if it does hook up to get out of trouble, you run out of wheel speed ,and loose momementem getting out of ruts on hills,rocks,roots,
    We're in second throttle, modulation works so good on L with FI ,u just walk out of trouble.

my x with carb is good,jetted proper,and is geared higher in 1st ,almost like 2nd on L.

As for weight???
    My X is same weight as L,,, and set up on X is pretty good,,

BUT IT HANDLES AND FEELS LIKE MY 01 CR 250R , the L compared to my X ,cuts better,is more forgiving,and feels 30 lbs lighter,
    The easy way to say it is the L feels more like my cr 250 than my X, but with a better X motor.

I'm sure with 14t on cs on L I would of not flamed out in the middle of shit. Could of used clutch without thinking about crazy 1st gear throttle control,

2 clicks off comp in frt and 2 off low speed comp in rear and air out of tires,settled it down alot, suspension is tits on L.

I'll try to do go pro flick soon, and realise I haven't been on these trails all summer ,I didn't no were washouts were or trees were down, I'm old,riding alone as always,so I tried to be safe let alone out of shape, ,

It was alot easer picking L out of washouts than X at same weight?

Well I got 2 carbs to do when I go to work in am, funny how many carbs I fix,, piles of them, won't get warm till noon I hope,today was 45 deg,and 33 deg when I got home,
  9. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Go pro is loading on u tube,I'll put link here if it works, just remember, I'm old,and it's first time in woods on 450L, and I haven't rode here in months but it's good.
    Dang,it says 46 min left to load,,,

Don't beat me up to much,,,
    Bhart89 and larryboy like this.
  10. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Anyone else getting water in upper tube,?
    It's clear ,I'm sure motor sweating till set?
    Yea,Bo one understands that,lol.
    I've emptied it ,everytime I've rode,but temps fall weather

Attached Files:

11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Old dog, new tricks!!

Reminded me of my old 1985 DR200 days, beatin' around the woods.
  12. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This appears to be the 450l thread that I want to follow. I’m not an owner yet. I’m looking for a 6 speed, FI, electric start replacement for my XRR that I putt around on backroads and dirt/gravel.
  13. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    whats anyone up to, its 40 deg in the northeast, I rebuilt 2 4wheelers this week, im board but going to take a buzz on L and change oil.
    I see in manual they say 100 miles, I rode mine very mild for 100 miles, than went trail ridding.

ive used a lot of oils, talked back in the day to a lot of mechanics, Since my Father owned a very large auto parts, warehouse,we were Exxon,QS,Penns,Warehouse.
    and more,i sold to 135 garages every week on the road, till I quit and bought my own garage in 1984, and Dad sold out oin 1986.

I had a loan for every bike I bought with dad as co signer since I was 12, still have the bikes and paperwork from banks,

One thing I will tell you, is ,you learn a lot spending your own money, you learn maintenance REALLY WELL WHEN YOU GET PARTS AT COST !!!
    MY DAD WOULD LET ME TAKE ONE THING A DAY THAT COST 3.00 TO 5 BUCKS...FROM AUTOPARTS.
    AND FOR YEARS I WOULD GET 3 GOLD PLATIUM N-2GS CHAMPIONS SPARK PLUGS, A WEEK AND 3 QTS OF OIL.
    I WOULD SPEND HOURS JETTING MY BIKES, AND CHANGING OIL.

SO IM just saying to stick with what works for you,your bike,your riding style.
    My 450x 08 has over 500 hours on it,when I bought it I pounded it in woods and DS,
    my bikes are in a heated garage coldest 50 deg,

My routine to startinganything is what I belive makes anything last, and my 1979 cr 250 hung from beam for 10 years, and
    drinking beer with a bunch one night in garage, a guy says ,
    what you doing with that CR, I said ,,keeping it and people safe,,,he laughed, and asked why???

I said that dam thing has bit more people including me ,cuz it wicked,, broke 3 left legs,,,
    Guy says ,yea right,,, I said oh yea,,,

Ill cut it down, and I will start it in 3 kicks and let it warm up,,,,
    And ill let u take it up over hill out back,,, Tough guy,,,
    he says yea right,,,,,it wont start, as they have all seen it hang there since 1984 when I opened garage,,,Why,,,
    Cuz I would be racing it instead of working,,,,

Soo I get barn pully out and rope, lowert it down, check air in tires,tranny oil,chain,cables,,,,

I shake it , turn gas on, tip it over to run gas out of overflow, I kick it 2 times with kill switch on,
    3rd kick it starts, I warm it up work clutch,shut it off and let it heat sink,

I get helmet on ,and I blast up over hill,come back down and hand it over to tough guy,,,,
    he hops on,no helmet,trys to blast up hill and wheeles out and it plants him,
    well that's not number 4 leg,but hes limping on left leg,lol
    all he said was,, that nasty,,, I said yea,so what weres my 50 bucks,,,

Well I started to ride it again,bought a 1996 cr 250, than a new 01 cr I still ride,a 03 hd,3 01 cr 250s,a 08 crf 450x, and now the 019 450L Honda.
    Ive used oil in my first 4 stroke that would last 20 minites and oil that is good for 20 hours.
    Its nice with the 450x that has 2 side of oil to it.
    Im not a oil salesman today, but I was at one time.

But my best oils that I belive in after many hours on 2 strokes than 4 strokes , are Kendall
  14. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Changed oil today,also put valve in drain,after all my 55 years of riding and mantance I do like these oils,,,
    I have over 500 hours on my 08 crf 450x with only valve cover off 2 times to check valves,
    My 01 cr 250r I change gearbox alot,so the napa 20 50 works well with the clutch,also I pulled cyl off to check piston and ring clearance after 75 hours and top ring wore .003 and 2nd ring .002,,only carbon in cyl,head,pv,I wiped with cleaner and rag and put it back together, ,,32/1 and jetted well.

I'm on fince with what oil to run in 450L since I'm spoiled with 2 diffrent compartments of oil on 450x, do I do semi syn or full syn in 450L?

Attached Files:

15. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Another 50 miles today,alot to say about,enrichment / idle button,
    My x is less nervous at high speed ,L really does alot,but diffrent,
    In a but more miles onL, I'll switch to x,

X is more ready for unexpected things u come across,L seems to deflect diffrent ,but,I'm a guy that knows what carbs doing,with wrist,fi a bit diffrent,I swear fi is for pre 40 years old,
    Funny it was 35 deg on way home,susp got stiff on L,compared to earler, maybe me,

Things need broke in,shifting sweet,but ,,
    I hate sprag spring in clutch when u start using it like old school,,
    I want a dam real clutch feel,,,im not a malinnuum, I was raised with a clutch,,

I'll check sag again, bleed forks,maybe go back up o clickers, it might of sunk a bit after some miles, , I'm getting 45.6 mpg,,

If anyone understands ,,,
    The tip in of throttle and tip out on L are so diffrent than a good carb, but fi is by electronic wire,not slide o carb,
    Wish I could explane,better than trump way,lol
  16. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Been riding the shit out of L,I'm old school,so sometimes,no one understands, than u say,boy,that was easy.
    I'm liking the even rub marks on both sides,

Old school tunning,u want blueing ,15,16 in from head,took a bit,but bluing on pipe is staying at last bend behind heat sheild,
    I m ok with throttle/shutting off role off throttle,the tip in on exit needs s bit more fuel,but I'm getting there,

After fuel,
    I'm doing a detachable rack,I'd rather pop it off and take it inside with me,,,
    Than try to make hands work untiring it,,

Attached Files:

Boyscout123 likes this.
  17. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Funny no one asked,,
    Why does L not use hyd brake light switches? But old style spring type???

Attached Files:

18. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Sitting here ,looking at seat lines ,jezze boy that ain't honda fit,so I walk to ls,laugh alot,
    Nice job getting air,,a bit of NSX tech

Attached Files:

19. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Old guys board,so I'm making a rear quick detachable rack,cuz I hate trying to untie things,all rubber mounted,with 2 locks,locks are heaven than whole rack,I'll get it built,and try to break it tomorrow, ,,but my racecar shit don't break,,,

Attached Files:

CCer likes this.
  20. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    As for the ECM, I'm brain farting, but I'll shit soon,,I'm waiting for radio shack stuff, I'm sure i can lie to it,,,, less than 20 bucks,lol
    Yinzer Moto likes this.