Honda CRF1000L AFRICA TWIN merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dwestly, May 12, 2015.

1. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    clearly you and I ride different styles and terrain...
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  2. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Cheapo go Shinko 705
    Mas expensivo go Pirelli Scorpion Trail II
    Both are basically donuts with slits cut into them, the Shinko's cuts being just large enough to call them tread blocks.
  3. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    happy trails has had the front 705 for about $53 for awhile, 804-05 are also discounted.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  4. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    Pirelli scorpions
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  5. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard that the Mitas E-07 are good for the Rear, but not for the front... TKC80 Recommended for the front in combination with E-07 Rear.

Anybody can comment on that?

Thanks!
  6. _chris_

_chris_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have about 200 mi on a Mitas E-07 plus on the front and a E-07 on the rear of my 2016 AT Manual. No complaints at all. Really like these tires so far.

I've never run the TKC80s on any of my bikes, and never will. On this AT I've had 1st gen Motoz Tractionator Adv (also hated), and 2 pairs of Shinko 804/805 big blocks (Decent but short lived).

I ride about 50:50, difficult desert twin track (rocky/steep) and about 50% on road incl aggressive twisties.

Chris.
  7. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've run E-07's front and rear without incident. However I have read the reports on squirrlely front E-07's.....just hasn't been a problem for me.

Side note, I too have also run the Shinko 804/805 combo and I really like them. While they will not run as far as some other options they are an excellent combo and in my opinion the very best bang for the buck.
  8. GrayRat

GrayRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have E=07’s on one bike and TKC80’s on the other. The E-07’s are a better street tire and pretty equal in the dirt. The front TKC80’s start is shake within the first 2000 miles. Not real confidence inspiring above 85 mph on the on road. Plus the tire life is a factor which the TKC80’s have a reputation for short life. If you are planning a long trip, something to consider especially when you are doing a lot of highway out in the country and like to punch it at least every once in a while. I have a second set of EO7’s waiting to replace my Comtinentals, as soon as they get a little more worn out. Cost of tires and mount and balance is not a cheap proposition.
  9. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    Following the thread but not an AT owner. That said I always liked the Pirelli scorpions on my ktm 950’s.
  10. Flying Marmot

Flying Marmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TKC70’s on my AT. All round great rubber until I hit the deck on an often ridden downhill.
    3K miles with scalloped front and rear . There is more to that story but I’ll be trying another brand. 705’s have been trustworthy companions on KLR’s Versys, V Strom .
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  11. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the E07 front & rear on my DR650, I had no issue on the road, but I felt that the E07 front just didn't have the grip on gravel.

I ran the E07 rear & TKC-80 front for over 11,000 kms on my AT - no issues whatsoever! I wore out the E07 and replaced it with an E07 plus. The TKC-80 after 11,000 kms is still fine though, I'll wait until before my next long trip before replacing it.
    Wayward Gypsy likes this.
  12. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    There aren't that many bad tires for the bikes today. Depend on how much longevity you want vs. grip, how knobby you want it, and then pick one.

I've used TKCs for years on my GS, and they are probably the most popular for the big bikes. Unfortunately, because of the grip on the road (soft compound?), they tend to wear quickly, and the front gets "scalloped". This leads to a fair amount of vibration at low speed, simulating worn bearings in the front wheel.

I now have two rims with rotors for the front of my AT. On one, I have a Mitos E-07 for 50/50 duties. Great tire. Just bought another for $100. Seems they have a + version and a Dakar version, so the original is dirt cheap. Good enough for me.
    On the other rim, I have an IRC Funduro full knobby for serious dirt work. Lasts pretty decently even with some street duty, and is stiff enough to handle turns on asphalt. Been using this tire for years. Dirt cheap. You can get them for $50.

I can change from one to the other in about 10 minutes.

On the back of my AT, I keep a Dunlop 908RR. Works for everything. Good in sand. Good on gravel. Good on asphalt. A little pricey, but worth every penny.
    IMG_8347.JPG
    Honda-50, Nihon Newbie and Squily like this.
  13. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Never had issus with the front. That said, they are much lower oem tread depth than most tires. see below.
    I average 7-10 thousand kilometers out of the rears. The fronts start cupping/feathering around the same k mark. So I change them as sets.
    I've gone through six sets on my tenere with zero complaints. Never mixed them with a knobby. It's a 50/50 tire. take it for what it is.

Doing a measurment of tires (center of tread, from carcass to top of knob) on the bike/bench/buddys bike:
    MOTOZ Tractionator (F) 11.23mm
    MOTOZ Tractionator (R) 13.56mm
    E07 PLUS (R) 11.36mm
    E07 Dakar (F) 4.99mm

Used tires (on AT now) 2k use when measured. I'm rolling past 4200km on the 804/805 set. Rear will be lucky to go over 5k.
    Shinko 804 (F) 5.14mm
    Shinko 805 (R) 4.65mm

Motoz are going on next. Will see how they go.
    Junglejeff1 and Nihon Newbie like this.
  14. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    May I ask where you sourced your spare front wheel? Is it a stock AT front wheel?
  15. Geekventure

Geekventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :confused FORK WARRANTY INQUIRY? :confused

Has anyone successfully got Honda to replace their front fork tubes under warranty for the "sticksion" and innerwall marring issue?

I've been denied my claim and could reeeeally us as much info to tell Honda when I call them to question why it was denied...
    Thanks in advance:beer
  16. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quite a few in the US. US and Canada appears to be the only places where it has.

Read this thread - plenty of links of who to go to, etc.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/afri...and-prospective-new-owners-must-read.1253181/
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  17. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    2x Canucks here in Alberta.
    Both from the same dealer.
    There's a few blog post on my errmm...blog about it. It's not normal, but a shit design.
    If they give you grief tell them you will stir shit up on line...dunno.
    We both had a sympathetic dealer. Told him what parts we wanted, and he ordered them for us.
    Sadly, I didn't mention ATAS tubes, instead I got regular 2018 tubes which solve nothing at all. My buddy's warrantied 2018 tubes, wore out in 8k km.
    Garbage.
  18. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot!
  19. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot! I think I will want to try the Mitas E-07 Dakar rear and maybe a Pirelli in the front, we shall see!
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cycle city in escanaba mi replaced mine under warranty at 7200 miles.