Honda CRF1000L AFRICA TWIN merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dwestly, May 12, 2015.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    If you turn off the ignition while in gear, it remains in gear (as indicated by the gear indicator on the dash) but it engages the clutch. Thesecond you thumb the ignition switch to the on position it will immediately shift to neutral.
  2. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chaps is there a discussion comparing the DCT to manual anywhere. What's the DCT like off black top. Any info regarding what not to buy used, I have seen a lot of info about fork tubes wearing out. I'm looking at buying a used AT and like the idea of a DCT but have no issues with a manual either. Is the AT much better than a Vstrom 1000 off blacktop. Just starting to narrow down choices, Yam T7 looks attractive but looks like not available in Colombia yet.
  3. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi Greg, Dave here again. I'm looking at trading my Vstrom that I have in Colombia and was looking at a T7 however I don't think they have them there yet. My other option is an AT, do you have any words of wisdom regarding what to look for and what models not to buy based on faults. As I keep the bike in Colombia I need reliability. I'm thinking I might buy a used one or perhaps a 1000 older model that is still in the shop new. I have a KTM 1190 in the UK and it's nice. Was thinking about a 1090 but the Honda should be more reliable. If you prefer drop me a PM, if you are too busy no probs. I see you and the group are still getting a lot of offroad miles covered, I'm thinking about a trip across Colombia/Ecuador/Brazil, nothing solid yet but it's on the radar. Hence the bike change. cheers.
  4. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    hi ya Dave!
    I'll email ya.
    T7 will be a simpler animal than the AT, and likely easier to work on. To me the T7 is a bit ho hum. Marginal suspension. Motor will be good, but having owned a FZ07, I never ventured far out of town, as the motor wasn't really geared for the task. The single channel ABS is a bit of a bummer, as I got spoiled by the two channel ABS on the AT. And it's a bit ugly. But maybe it's got a nice personality:D
    They will be in Kanukistan mid June/July 2020.

Reliability wise, there's not much that goes wrong with the AT.
    The regular AT forks have issues with coating.
    My 2017 has been damn near faultess, besides the fork issue.
    If buying 2016, check that the switches work as intended. The start/stop switch is a known issue.
    Otherwise...that's about it
    daveburton and TimmyTheHog like this.
  5. Sailor Jack

Sailor Jack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 DCT, went with it because of the gushing reviews from moto-journalists and the advice from friends who love their recluse clutches. I just had it off road for the last ride of the season on sections 6-7 of the NMBDR, including the rough alternate route to El Rito- bottom line, the DCT works very well, and paired with some good suspension work the AT DCT can be a big advantage off road.
  6. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    @daveburton
    DCT vs manual AT. Great review by Ryan at F9

here's a decent vid of dct vs rekluse (I'm not a fan of rekluse clutches)

Only disadvantage of dct vs clutch is you loose the ability to slip the clutch, and slow maneuvers can be a bit more tricky..drag rear brake vs use clutch.
    It has its advantages, but is also more complicated, and things could go wrong. Where as a clutch...meh..change plates. Chang a cable.
    Worse part...not sure how easy it would be to wheelie:1drink

forgot to add that I made the decison based on my off road preference. I would never entertain a rekluse clutch off road. Yes, you can't really stall it (handy for 4 strokes) But the shit we ride, it's nice to stall the bike, and not have it roll back on you. Besides, typically ride for grip, and not speed, so carry a gear or two higher. the clutch is stupid handy when it comes to helping it not stall etc..yes you can feather a rekluse. Also rekluse has less plates, so the ones that are there have to work that much harder.
    vid below doesn't show how steep it is. It' damn steep.
    DCTFAN and Amphib like this.
  7. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    hi Dave,
    I didn't see your question on the vstrom 1000 vs AT.

I rode a 2014 DL1000 Back to back on gravel to my 2012 Super Tenere.
    The tenere felt more natural, and better on gravel. I didn't enjoy the DL on gravel.
    The AT spanks the ST on gravel, and leaves it for dead in anything more technical.
  8. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    So, ... sport mode on the 2018 DCT sounds more visceral than just putting it in "D" and accelerating the same. Is there a valve in the exhaust that opens/ changes in the different modes?

Also noticed the throttle blips on downshifts in sport mode, not there in "D."

Big miles (19k in 6 months) slow learner.
  9. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    For those of you fitting an Akrapovic Exhaust are you buying the Homologated version for use with the original header / cat? Also, is there really a difference between the exhaust for the 16-17 & 18-19 models? Akrapovic lists two different part numbers. What is the difference between Homologated and non-homologated besides $150. Thanks!
  10. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    The difference is that with the homologated Akrapovic, you get a gift card for Starbucks....

:hide
    moparren and rbsride365 like this.
  11. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    As long as it's a $150 gift card we're good then. ;)

Now that you've had your fun, any real knowledge here? This is a frivolous expense for sure but I don't see buying the whole entire header and then remapping a perfectly good running bike. This thing will be ridden hard and put away wet but still want to keep it legal as I ride lots of forest service roads and OHV trail systems also. Maybe I'll get rid of the cat one day but not until I've run out of better things to spend money on.

Thanks!
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You can see the difference on the Akra site, the homologated one makes less power and weighs more.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/moto/p...e-Titanium?brandId=30&modelId=960&yearId=5285

If it were me I'd keep the stock muffler and just get the Akra header, it makes about double the power of the slipon muffler and you'd retain your OEM spark arrester.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/moto/p...egmentId=1&brandId=30&modelId=960&yearId=5285
    rbsride365 likes this.
  13. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    I picked up a used Akra can for the AT and fitted it to my ATAS, I suspect it was the non-homologated one as it had bolt in baffles (not supplied in sale) and I hear the Homolgated can (or in blighty the Honda supplied akra can) has welded in baffles that require drilling of welds to allow baffle removal. In the end the Akra without baffles sounds worse than the stock ATAS can , ie sounded like two crappy lawnmowers together so I retro fitted baffles, it now sounds ok but still not as good as the stock ATAS can, though it does look better (if that is a priority ?) . I may try one baffle in one out, for more info I'm using stock Cat exhaust with O2 sensors & I found the unbaffled akra had a deep potatoe potatoe sound whereas the stock ATAS can has a nice rasp , the baffles muted the deepness of the akra but didn't add rasp, It could be that fine tuning the baffles will help as these are straight tubes with no drillings bar where the retainer bolts go. All just IMO, and beauty is in the eye or ear of the beholder.
    rbsride365 likes this.
  14. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed and informative input. Maybe I'll hold tight until I can see (and hear) one in person. I was considering the homologated version since I really have no intention to also buy the header and eliminate the cat in the future. Also not looking for more noise. Like the looks and the sound that I've heard via video's online. Yes, purely aesthetic and unneeded upgrade.
  15. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is how the OEM muffler was improved and not many users are aware of the details.
    I think it deserves more cred despite the heavy wt.

2018 Other Improvements.jpg

AT ADV Sports . _____ . Standard AT
    Trail 111mm ______ 113mm (4.44 in.)
    sheath, misterk, slipknot and 4 others like this.
  16. DAKRIDER

DAKRIDER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1st Annual African Twin Motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally
    About this Event
    What is included:

* Three days off-road riding for all skill levels

* Free primitive camping on site (water, electric, bathrooms available)

* Campfire and local Band

* Free Training half day (3-4 hours)

* Free T-shirt for pre-registered participants

* 2 each Breakfast, 2 each Dinner, adult beverages not included

* All adventure bikes welcome like Honda ‎CB500X · ‎NC750X · ‎NC700X · ‎VFR1200X· ‎CRF450L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Share With Friends

Date And Time
    Fri, Aug 14, 2020, 11:30 AM –

Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 4:00 PM EDT

Add to Calendar

35206 National Pike Northeast

Little Orleans, MD 21766

View Map

Refund Policy
    No Refunds
    rbsride365 and Pcfly like this.
  17. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any idea where I can get Rugged Roads lower engine guards for the 2019 AT manual, in the US, other than ADV Motorrad? ADV Motorrad has had them on back order for several months now. I would like to get a set on my AT before the riding season starts.
  18. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Will there be more information available about this event in the future? A website or thread here, FB, etc.? Interested. How many spots were available in total? Just curious. Thanks.
  19. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    When I ordered my accessories direct from Rugged Roads they were cheaper then if I had bought and shipped from the USA
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Order from the uk