Honda CRF1000L AFRICA TWIN merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dwestly, May 12, 2015.

1. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I see they're even out of stock in the UK...which would explain ADVMotorrad being out of stock.
  2. Czexican

Czexican n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi! Are these on the stock 18 inch wheels? I could not find these tires with the center thread for my wheel size. Can you let me know exactly what you fitted there? I want them!
  3. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I went on a ride with my buddy on his new KTM 790R Adventure. Gorgeous machine, but not selling my Twin:) Anyway, (this is particularly for us NA market folks) he just mounted up some turn signals/indicators from Cyclops. They are fantastic! Much safer, much more modern looking, bright and compact. When you apply the brakes the rear turn signals/indicators flash red twice before settling into conventional brake lights! How cool is that? Since we got the giant, dated giraffe ossicones on our NA market bikes theses would be fantastic for a number of reasons. Sadly, they don't make them. I called and they seemed interested and willing to pursue bringing them to market, but they need to feel there's a market (seems much larger than the 790, butI don't know). I think emails and phone calls would help. They picked up the phone immediately when I called.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/

(800) 624-0278

Info@CyclopsAdventureSports.com

They also make a brilliant universal TPMS (tire pressure management system) that I ordered. Check it out. They have aux lighting for our bikes as well.

Cheers!
  4. goodwithafork

goodwithafork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any tips for removing the throttle body to check the valves on a 2016 CRF1000L? I have the shop manual, but I'm baffled at how this comes off. All the videos online show taking off the fairings and tank, and then just...somehow skip to checking the valves without showing how the **** the throttle body comes off. I'm tempted to give up and take it to the dealer. This is a bit beyond me. Sorry if this has been covered but I don't know where to start with a thead 1000 pages long.
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    if i have the $ and don't have the time - dealer.

since i don't have a job and opted to follow the stay-at-home order, that gave me plenty of time, also glad have decent mechanical skills.

diy - good to have a 2nd bike cuz it takes a good 3 days at a leisure pace just to get all the stuff out of the way. take a lot of pictures, step by step. it will come in handy later during reassembly. removing the throttle valve was tough, i have to 2nd guess myself. the key is to remove the tray first.

honestly, it is very time-consuming, especially when cleaning the components above the engine. less than a day to do the actual valve adjustment, and another 3 days to put it back together.

be careful, it's very easy to break the $$ plastic pieces.

i think the dealership can do it in 6 hours.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  6. Honda-50

Honda-50 Vet Lurker

Oddometer:
    I also urge caution while removing the spark plug boots as they are easily damaged & not cheap. But more than anything, get a service manual & follow its methodology. Motociclo's pictorial is quite helpful too.
    Not sure I understand your exact stumbling block, but once you've exposed the TBs and loosened their upper band clamps you should be able to lever them out of the the rubber intake pipes in a straightforward if not exactly effortless manner. You should not have to remove the throttle cables.
    Go slowly. If you are in a hurry, visit your dealer as NSFW says.
  7. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Fairings, then tank, then airbox, once you are down there there are about 5-6 electrical connectors that need to come off, the two band clamps (you undid the two upper ones to take the airbox off now the two lower ones to remove the throttle body) around the rubber boots that hold the throttle body to the engine, look to the right hand side for the screw connection on the right side (between TB and cylinder) one and between two connectors for the left hand side one (its hard to see but a screwdriver will get in there ok) to undo the left band clamp. Throttle body will lift out then, I leave the throttle cables connected and just move it aside. Now comes the difficult bit removing the coil tray, disconnect connectors, outer plug leads, slide the tray back and then get to the two center plug leads be very careful when pulling these out. I dont remove the radiators but just unbolt them and let them wiggle about, you need to remove the side plastic covers around the right radiator. Then you can get to the cam cover and slide that out to the right. Make sure you put all clips and screws for each part into bags ie coil tray has plastic bag of bits , airbox likewise etc that way you know when you have clipped each part back together with the right bits. When putting back together put rubber grease on two center plug boots to make them easy to slide in and out and any grommets that are a push fit. When clipping down the cam cover take your time there will be a click when it sits down correctly make sure you have a very good look at the rubber gasket all the way round and that its even height, if its not lift it up and re-seat it. Make sure you do this VERY important it will save you about 5 hours work. If its not down correctly oil will drip onto your headers and there will be smoke everywhere. First time you do it its about 8 hours, it takes me about 4-5 now after my 4th one.
    20180105_140615.jpg
    Amphib and Honda-50 like this.
  8. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Funny, After I rode a basic 790, I wanted to sell my AT. Great motor, low CG, proper suspension as standard (for the R, non R was actually decent).

Depending on the year of yours, the 2016/17 had a stupid module fitted to allow for a two wire running light. Ask me how I know.
    I wrote about it here some time ago. Idiotic setup. You can't even fit aftermarket LEDs
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2017...-scratcher-bulb-to-led.1417158/#post-38816341

2018/19 were different, and again in 2020 on.
    I doubt they would pursue it for the 2 yr model year.
    Fit an extra bright brake light, and wire it in parallel to your rear light.

The advantage cyclops have with KTMs is the 1190/1090/1290/790 share the same can bus wiring. They fool the ECU with a proper resistor, to give the same reading as the incandescent bulb, and replace it with a LED board in each blinker. Shitty thing is, when they break (and they do) it's an expensive fix.

I did install cyclops LED kit for my 1090r. Amazing difference from the OEM jam jar lights.
    [​IMG]
  9. goodwithafork

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I had a friend much more mechanically sound come help pull the TB off and check the valves. Only minor adjustments necessary. Unfortunately, after he departed I spent the next day or two putting everything else back on. Once I got the tank on, I started it probably 6 or 7 times and let it idle just to make sure it was running properly before I went through the nightmare of putting all the plastics back together. It ran just fine and I revved it a bit a few times, just to make sure all was well. So I put all the fairings back on, crash bars, etc.

I took it out of my garage and got 150 yards down my driveway and it started revving like crazy. Now it's revving itself up to 5,500+ RPMs upon start and does not stop until I quickly turn the bike off.

I haven't a clue why it's doing this - I did unhook the battery for 10 mins to see if it would reset itself, without any success. I disconnected it again and am going to let it sit overnight, since I'm too mentally exhausted to think about what's going on. Realistically, the cause is going to be beyond my skill to diagnose.

There's a large chance I'm going to just bring it to the dealer. I don't have the patience to take the whole thing apart again, especially when I don't know what's causing the problem to begin with.

I will sell this motorcycle before the next major service interval at 48,000 miles and will not be buying another Honda. The amount of labor involved in servicing it is frankly just unacceptable to me.

If anyone has any thoughts on why this thing is revving to the moon, I'd graciously like to hear them.
  10. Honda-50

Honda-50 Vet Lurker

Oddometer:
    Throttle cable hung up on something? Manipulate the throttle (engine off) to see if it feels restricted. It should twist open smoothly & snap closed when you release your grip. You'll likely have to remove the gas tank at least one more time for any more through investigation. Be patient and observant & don't beat yourself up over it. -M
  11. goodwithafork

Oddometer:
    I just went out and hammered on the throttle while it was running 6 or 7 times and after a big smoke show now it's back to idling normally. I'll investigate further tomorrow...but we'll seeee. I am very tired, heh.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  12. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    You can see both ends of the cable with the bike back together so you should be able to turn the bars from lock to lock without increasing revs (or seeing the cable on the throttle body move), you must be catching the cable somewhere.
  13. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    I hate to say it but there is CRF1100L thread :dunno
  15. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep but there are 2017 and 2016's in the vid too!
  16. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    OK, for the three seconds he mentions having previously ridden a manual 16/17...anything else?
  17. bbanker

Oddometer:
    @WheelieKing1 's 2017 bike is in it, walked around, and the guy at the end talks in depth about his 2016 DCT...
  18. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected...was more-so trying to give shit tongue-in-cheek to the head-honcho...failed at both I guess!
  19. bbanker

Oddometer:
    No worries! :freaky