Honda CRF1000L AFRICA TWIN merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by dwestly, May 12, 2015.

1. ducouple

ducouple Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode DCT AT yesterday. (i have a manual CT)

DCT is not perfect so i don't like it
    Seat is too hard ! Incredible how it sucks for an adventure bike. Go for the Touratech seat.
    Low torque, low power 95CH. I prefer more power.
    Design is very good , this is THE reason why customers want it and price of course.
    Only one of the two headlights is activated (low beam), don't understand this choice.
    Oem tires Dunlop are a nightmare, very dangerous !
    Tires tubetype LOL no comment
    Oem sound is good

Maybe i go from my CT to this AT for weight. But the V4 is much better than the twin torque 'n power). Yamaha Super T is a good alternative too.

Enjoy
  2. nii

nii Johnnie Walker

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for the bike, but my panniers are here. They look OK to me, left one is huge, the right one is miserable. Robust plastic.
    Got info that BUMOT have a bike now to play with, so soon they will have a top quality aftermarker panniers for the AT.

DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0006.JPG
    dduelin likes this.
  3. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I guess if you are a pavement pounder your comment would be valid.

DW
    warnabrother likes this.
  4. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:

Aftermarket panniers...
    tykebe likes this.
  5. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10 years ago... the reason was that it may be $50k here BUT was 50k EUROS there! To run them cost a LOT of gas compared to local vehicles. I used to drive them from the South of France to Paris to pass inspections. IF you could afford one... you were just about a rock star OR just very rich! ;) ahh those were the days :)
  6. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dunno if it was already posted

7. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward for some feedback about those panniers. They didn't look very solid in the videos

[​IMG]
    Squily likes this.
  8. Pir

Pir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I handled them and to call them flimsy would be a compliment, paper thin plastic ,the aluminium is just a decorative cover and the locks are a joke
    norseXL likes this.
  9. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer

Oddometer:

Flexible mounting seems to be a design choice the past few years for some manufacturers. Not sure what the advantages are, as I would think the poundage bouncing around haphazardly would be more chassis-unsettling than weight that moves in unison with the rest of the bike.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I imagine they'll break the first time the bike is dropped. Not a great choice for a bike that will ridden on dirt, but fine for those Africa Twins that never leave the tarmac.
  11. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
    I hate to be the one .... but i have to say this , film the bike riding the same spot with metal panniers bouncing on the rocks then watch it in slow motion , or just watch the touratech video carefully .
    Laws of physics gents , with enough force most materials will flex , and some will fail faster than others ... i am sure that they have designed these panniers like this for a reason , But i have other issues with these boxes and that is why i am not buying them .
  12. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:

IMO Unless you ran some statistical software or made some other form of analysis, it does seem like your opinion to me to. There are some of the items on your list that are controversial maybe, such as aluminum frame. Lots of people prefer steel- it can be fixed because most adventure bikes will suffer from cracking subframes at some point in their life if they are used a bit hard. And I'm not sure about the stainless spokes either, as I read they are stainless, but just prone to discolouration
    Starchamp likes this.
  13. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    true... I saw a photo of 2 snooker balls colliding.... they 1/2 flattened into each other!
  14. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 1150GS adventure bikes cracked subframes. The 1200Adv had these dicky looking frames that flecked and moved constantly, but yet the reports of subframes cracking reduced. So maybe there's method in the madness
  15. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...I've never seen a cracked 1150GS sub frame. I currently own an 1150GSA and had another. Both are (were) ridden off road, friends owned them and they rode them off road a lot.
  16. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    Long Way Round?

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?56505-R1150GS-broken-rear-subframe

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1150gsa-rear-subframe.309029/

http://pikipikisafari.net/travel-pr...1150gs-common-failures-and-preventative-mods/

I'm not trying to trash BMW: sub-frame cracks are very common on ADV bikes. I've seen just about every manufacturer out there with cracked frames. This includes Africa Twins. Just said there appears to be less reports on 1200's, which still crack, than the previous 1150's

(http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-general-chatter/1631-cracked-frame-2008-r1200gs.html)

If you and your mates have not had an issues, then great. But it's more a question of when, not if.
  17. bmon

bmon Go Thattaway Supporter

Oddometer:
    The above was from the owners thread, bringing my speculative question here. Assuming the above, that means it would not be possible for a buddy to tow-rope a dead (out of gas for example) DCT bike, would it?
  18. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that towing would be impeded. When you hit the kill-switch while rolling, you still have oil pressure. The wheel rotates the engine components and the clutch remains engaged. If the engine was dead and stopped, the clutch would not engage due to lack of oil pressure.
    I think you can tow, or push just fine.

Pure speculation of course:)
  19. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Friends' bikes had about 100,000 miles when they were sold. No frame issues to my knowledge. Mine's got only 42,000 miles. It's a stout sub frame. My guess is overloaded panniers contributed to the breakage. The stock panniers don't have near the capacity as a set of Jesse's. Oh well, anything can break I guess.

Back to the regularly scheduled mayhem.
  20. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had chance to look at AT panniers on the bike, off the bike etc.
    I (of course it is my opinion only) would not spend 2 cents on those. Flexible mount is nice etc. but when 3 mount points located almost on one "line" instead of proper spreading attachment points to 2 up and 2 lower mounts there is no way huge pannier will stay on the bike in fall or won't break something. It is quite clear that attachment elements mean to break, if you look closely - intentional design "feature". Worst part of it - usually after such incident they do not just fall off or seem to re-attach OK - that until quite a few km after when you greeted with sign of pannier rolling down the road in rear view mirror.

I still remember how me and my friend had to dodge flying pannier :) that decided to detach itself from another our friend's bike in front of us at like 80 mph.
    So - besides price tag I think panniers on AT just as bad as on big KTMs or 2011 line Tigers and equally bad in terms of design. I guess that's why Yamaha, Triumph and Ducati now offer re-branded aftermarket panniers as option - much better and usually aluminium. Thou I myself prefer to stay away from any hard panniers...
    Just my 2 cents.