Honda CRF1000L AFRICA TWIN merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dwestly, May 12, 2015.

1. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    jeeeeeeeeeez

So how the hell are they getting print outs at dealers and showing colors / transmission options in Honda themselves computer system where all their orders show up then? Apparently even the district sales manager has no idea whats going on. Now we just have to determine if hes at least right on the only one boat made it comment and doomsay from there

Which to start us off, I'm pretty angry that they'll steal 16-20 of those limited few for a press event while at least as many paying customers get dicked for 3-6+ more months. Whats the point of generating press anyway if you can't even deliver a bike for people to buy?!?! maybe I don't understand marketing but WTF

damnit, my 1190 ADV just sold too lol
    neanderthal and daninghram like this.
  2. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Honda thinks that works, then theyre clearly out of touch with reality
    justinope likes this.
  3. Drum Dog

Drum Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not shooting the messenger. I know you're just repeating what the guy said. (like we are all doing.)
    I don't buy it.
    If this is true why does Honda give the dealers ship dates then pull them up or move them out? And why was my dealer just told they bumped up 2 silver M units to a earlier ship date. Why would Honda specify color and transmission if they truly had no clue.
    jgunsett and mgb71 like this.
  4. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They do have an 'allocation' system base on partly to dealer's 'sales performance'.
    Without such system in place, Honda will subject to all kind of 'allegation' from their sales partners.
  5. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please don't get too upset about the press bikes. They were probably allocated months ago to American Honda for their marketing purposes, well before anyone knew there would be an earthquake. These bikes are likely property of American Honda and are on their books as company assets. They can't just "give" them back to general inventory for sale to customers. It might be impossible, involve a lot of paperwork or the bikes are rejects for cosmetic reasons (who knows?). Even if they could, giving back a handful of bikes would be a drop in the bucket when you consider the quantities arriving if the one per dealer goal comes true.

These press events are planned and scheduled weeks or even months in advance. It's just bad luck that there was an earthquake that damaged the factory and lots of bikes. But life has to go on, just like the press events.
  6. Drum Dog

Oddometer:
    I agree and you are correct. If all Honda dealers were only getting 1 bike they would ALL already know. Hell it would take just one email for crips sake.
  7. packin ducks

packin ducks Hide and seek champion

Oddometer:
    I know it sucks. I have only expressed what I was told today.
  8. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I know not trying to shoot the messenger I'm glad to hear any info but yeah it sucks

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  9. packin ducks

Oddometer:
    No problem here with me...... I wasn't too happy with the info. This was from the actual rep 1st hand. I'm not saying any of it make sense. I typed this when I got back to my jeep before I left the dealer so I wouldn't forget anything.
  10. packin ducks

Oddometer:
    I think that was the order from you saw (the like to have list). My dealer has the same info. It does not reflect the actual limited quantities that are coming in the 1st boat load. That info has not been distributed yet apparently. I'm not trying to be a downer to anyone, I'm just passing on the info. I have had my deposit down since the end of May last year. I think I was probably one of the 1st to do so in the U.S. To find out that they may only get 1 bike and it may not be what I ordered really pusses me off. This wait has been very frustrating and then adding that bullshit to it is like rubbing salt in a wound.
  11. packin ducks

Oddometer:
    I really hope you are correct. I couldn't even get confirmation that DCT's were on the boat let alone colors.
  12. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea I mean I don't doubt its now old info because of the 1 per dealer and 1 boat quandary we now find ourselves in. And thats why I told my dealer I'd take literally any bike they get, either color or transmission

but where I am still confused is him saying that the dealers quoting colors or transmissions is them lying to everyone which is completely impossible. they are showing us from their order system and the ship dates were getting updated in that same exact system so apparently Honda did up until recently did have a clear cut plan and dealers did know what color and transmission options they were getting or at least supposed or projected to get.

maybe its mincing words but as far as they were concerned thats what Honda themselves said they were getting.

I guess what to take away from this is: throw everything we currently know out the window (more than likely) and see what happens in the next couple weeks. Theoretically if the May 20th date holds we'll have dealers getting shipment confirmations from their carriers end of next week or early the next week after that and it'll definitely be confirmed what they're getting then.
  13. packin ducks

Oddometer:
    I was also told that the dealers are given quarterly "red lines" at the same time the public can view the very same info. So a diligent customer will sometimes know info before the dealers do. When I put my deposit down for my AT only the sales manager had ever heard of it. The rep also said that blogs like this will often get early leaked info that the Honda reps don't even know about. All of this craziness is consistent with the terribly handled launch of the AT.
    Honda NA is a mess with all of this conflicting information..... It's getting old.
    KHVol likes this.
  14. packin ducks

Oddometer:
    The rep told me he would get ahold of me as soon as the inventory was accurately checked in at the dock. I think he could tell I was a little pissed. He even gave me his business card so I aim to hold him to it. I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear something from him. Sorry guys, I don't mean to stir the pot here....
    KHVol likes this.
  15. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    no really thanks for this info, I know I appreciate it even if its bad news at least its some news

I hope he does stick to that as well, we'd love to know :D

I'm starting to worry my little WV dealership or even my local VA one will get passed over now because they're not a "powerhouse" dealer. The way Honda America is handling this I wouldn't be surprised if they sent 20 to each powerhouse dealer and told everyone else to sit and spin
  16. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    they did send out a letter by the way that all dealers got stating the 1 bike per dealer estimation being their current goal post earthquake so any dealer that isn't aware of this is negligent.

granted they may just think they're lucky since it still shows in their system as multiple bikes for now
  17. Drum Dog

Oddometer:
    ducts, thanks the the info buddy. Keep it coming if we all share what we hear it will keep us going until we get out bikes.
    I say we all just repeat what our dealers report to us even if it the same info. That way we all hear what is being said not just what OUR dealer is saying.
    As of now my dealer says there getting 4 units shipped this month and 7 more on July 28. :dunno
  18. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If Honda's system is SAP based and in light of the recent changes, in all likelihood, at this point, no one in Honda NA has any clue whatsoever as to what dealers are receiving what bikes. SAP is simply too cumbersome to deal with the current situation.

As to individual customer orders/deposits, they are completely meaningless.

The adventure continues...
    KHVol likes this.
  19. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my line of work we refer to SAP as Stops All Production. LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    KHVol and Newstrom48 like this.
  20. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It means no dealer will get more than one and some none.