Honda Crf230f love' em? hate' em?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MxRider2637, Jan 16, 2011.

1. RoadHawg14

RoadHawg14 CRASH

Oddometer:
    Here are few of our play bikes. Always a blast to ride!

[​IMG]
  2. Timtim

Timtim BadGrandad

Oddometer:
    I have the 07 model, use it for all our trails here in UK. This little bike is awesome when the going gets really technical. Love it.
    Question is, what is the best way to upgrade the suspension? Presently it is all stock and I would like a more plush set up if possible. Long rocky tracks at speed are hard work, that is about the only time I would prefer the Ktm back.
    Is there a practical solution?
    Also I would like to know if these can still be bought brand new?
    Certainly not available from any dealers here in UK. I would consider importing one.
    Thanks in advance,
  3. Tex_Aus

Tex_Aus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I think you just made up my mind for me regrading what bike to throw on the back of the Jeep for my Moab trip.

I'm going on a Jeep Trip with friends next weekend in Moab and we'll be camping in Sand Flats. Last year I took my XR600 and did Slick Rock trail with it. This year I was contemplating between the XR600, KTM 300-XC and the 230F. I didn't know if the 230F would be enough bike, but it looks like it's up to the job. Plus this will give my girlfriend a chance to ride slickrock trail if she's up to it.
  5. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're great handling, smooth bikes and a lot of fun until you try to jump one. I wouldn't sink money into that bike, your better off trading up to a real dirtbike when you start finding it's limitations.
  6. AGrant

AGrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We just recently got my son a 2009 model. It was in a shed, not running, dirty, the whole 9. Probably less than 50 miles total. Crap, still had the original tires on her with the rubber tits on the side. Got her home washed her, and started the disassemble.

Side note: My son is 13, 5'9, 120lbs, and this is his first dirt bike. So, anyone that bashes this bike for being a turd, remember your first bike as a kid. ANY bike is a GOOD bike to a kid!

Took all the plastics off, pulled the tank, pulled the air filter, pulled the carb. New spark plug, fresh oil, new air filter, and after 4 cleanings of the carb, she fired up and purred like a kitten. (note: the carb was so dirty, the sludge that had accumulated in the bottom of the float bowl was like pudding). Put her all back together and ran her hard on Sunday afternoon. Ran great then all of a sudden started leaking gas. Stuck float needle. Ordered a carb rebuild kit, replaced the float needle, and replaced the O-ring on the drain screw. WaLa! She runs again....runs strong. My 13 year old son LOVES his new-to-him bike! This little air cooled 4-stroke is bullet proof. She'll run forever if you take care of her! Pics to follow soon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yooper_Bob likes this.
  7. AGrant

AGrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and I drank the orange koolaid last night!
    [​IMG]
  8. JayDub

JayDub Havin Fun

Oddometer:
    I love my 06. I got it in 2015 while it had the stock tires with the tiny nubs on the center knobbies so I know it wasn't used much. I got the Baja Designs light kit designed just for the bike (LED tail/brake light, and 35w headlight because the stator is so small), put on a horn and mirror, then got it inspected by a neighbor who is a cop then got it plated. I have a blast on this thing. I love the amount of torque this little thing puts out right off from idle. Hard to believe how much fun a smaller bike is. I had the BRP XR650L and it was a beast in it's own right but it was too tall and heavy for me. I never dumped it, although I almost did daily, but it was too much work to be fun especially in our Michigan deep sand. The other thing I love about the 230 is once you get the thing uncorked it really runs well and there is so little maintenance. A liter of Rotella 15w-40 every now and again, clean the Uni airfilter and keep riding the snot out of it.

I did regear it for on the road to ride to the trails. First I changed the stock front sprocket to a 14 from 13. That helped a little, next I looked at the CRF230L (Japanese model not Brazilian like the F). The L model has pretty much the same internal gearing of the transmission and the final ratio for the sprockets is 3:1. Therefore with my 14 front I put on a 42 on the rear and I like it. I can cruise at 55 without revving the thing like a 2 smoker. On the trails it still is geared low enough for first gear slow going tight stuff. I am glad it's a six speed. Also, I use an old smartphone for it's GPS as a speedometer.

Here is a pic of my bike in Indiana for the 2015 Loose Nut DS ride.

IMG_20151106_162834179.jpg

Here's a link with me riding the 230 across a river at the 2015 Loosenut DS ride. Mr. Loosenut is the first bike in that video then I enter the water. You need to realize half the riders didn't cross here, they turned around. Of those of us who entered the water, about half dumped it as it had large slick rocks on the bottom. Less is more!

9. JR1

JR1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AZ TOM likes this.
  10. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rented one in Portugal several years ago. A friend made a film, using my phootage:

11. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Most under rated bike ever made!
    BSW and soaz like this.
  12. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike,
    What size and make rear tire are you running? Any issues? It's time to get new shoes for mine and I've been thinking Trials tire, but I've not found any solid info on running them on the 230F
  13. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Shinko 241 400/18. Loved it & wore well. Tried the Shinko Pro 255 & hated it on this bike. Pirelli Scorpion XC soft Med up front. This bike is easy on tires.
    soaz and squish like this.
  14. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, a few questions about the 230, I have never ridden one. I wanted to pick up a couple of them for myself and my wife to do casual trail rides on.

How is the seat height and weight? She is 5'5 and 110lbs I'm worried it may be too large of a bike for her as a beginner maybe something like a crf150 would be better? I'm also curious how torquey the motor is, I used to own a wr250r which I thought had plenty of power but a bit too heavy for me, and have ridden a KLX250s carb version which I felt had almost no torque at all.
  15. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Tons of torque. Easy to ride, did I mention easy to ride. Can you tell I miss mine?
  16. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:

For someone her size, check out a klx140G. Plenty of power for her size, good seat height, 32 lbs lighter than the crf230 fueled. My wife loves hers. Has more modern features than the crf150. Front and rear disc brakes, decent piggyback rear shock, volcanduro tires stock. Really easy to ride, well balanced.
  17. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2010 model
    Fun bike to own

br.jpg
    AZ TOM likes this.
  18. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have replaced the handlebars, seat cover, fork boots and rear tyre since posting the previous photo
    new.jpg
    AZ TOM likes this.
  19. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AA.jpg
    AZ TOM likes this.
  20. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    You want easy, you got it, you want reliable, you got it, you want light weight, you got it, you want go anywhere, you got it!