HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. jonnylikesvtwins

jonnylikesvtwins Have I learned anything yet?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wind_Rider!!
  2. Noisytim

Noisytim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know... great isn't.
  3. Noisytim

Oddometer:
    Yes you got it. Remove old ecu, swap pins, insert new ecu. Done. No other mods. I have removed snorkel and air filter screen. Pretty sure the cbrs don't have mesh on their filters.
    jonnylikesvtwins likes this.
  4. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
  5. Pistola26c

Pistola26c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to believe this soooo much......but.....
    if you have a look at the specs of the 2015 cb250f it seems it has the bore and stroke of the larger CBR300 engine.
    Im using this site as reference
    https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb250f_2015.php
    This is our 250 from the same site.
    https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_crf250l_rally_2017.php
    notice stroke.....
    You genuinely had me sold and I'll probably end up getting one when I eventually do the upgrade to the 300 but for now will probably give it a miss.
  6. Pistola26c

Pistola26c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my bike, 3300k's on the clock. Absolutley love it. I have just come of a BMWG650GS Sertao previous to this again a F650GS Dakar, whilst I miss the power I certainly dont miss the weight. I have just come off a 2 day trip 950k's from North Brisbane down the Border Ranges across to Tenterfield up to Stanthorpe along the Condamine River and back through Boonah. Amazing bike that I also do the daily commute everyday. Biggest and greatest mod in my opinion is 13T front sprocket in which I spent an entire $15 on (check out Metalgear in Brendale, I have no affiliation but they have stuff I use). Gives it enough zip for my 90kg to get it going. I also have the B&b Bash plate and matching rear rack. Bash Plate works, I've tested it.... Rear Rack is ok. I use the Wolfmans E-12 rackless Saddle Bags. They work well. The toolbox is covered but a simple loosening of the strap gives you enough access. The rotopax is good but i didnt really need to use it. No Suspension mods for me. Just love riding it as it is.

IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5345.JPG IMG_5378.JPG IMG_5389.JPG
  7. Pistola26c

Pistola26c Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Stefan Bathory

Stefan Bathory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The experienced rider’s way to the Rally

1. Buy an almost perfect travel enduro motorcycle
    2. Change the seat not even letting the stock one break in, because stock cannot be good
    3. Install bar risers, because why learn the proper posture
    4. Install 10 kg of mild steel tubes and aluminium plates, because GS looks cool with them on
    5. Mount heavy tubeless tires on tubed rims, because the more unsprung weight the better
    6. Understand the bike stopped accelerating. Install a used 287 cc engine and loose the tacho, because revlimiter is what you are after
    7. Install a 15-tooth sprocket and loose the case saver, because case saver adds extra weight.
    8. Carve the plastics, because dirty boots and pants make you look experienced
    9. Take half your garage and wardrobe with you on a weekend trip, because minimalism is for communists
    10. Understand the rear suspension is shit. Install new rear suspension, understand the front suspension is shit, live with it
    11. Install tail tidy because mud on your back makes you look experienced
    12. Finally you’ve got a motorcycle that runs more or less the same as the stock one, but it’s ugly, it’s unbalanced, your bank account is $4000 lighter, your boots, pants and back are in mud, but you yourself look experienced.
    Iceman68, DKCJ, Kartik and 8 others like this.
  9. Noisytim

Oddometer:
    No mate. You have it wrong. Buy a post 2015 cbr250r/cb250f ecu and feel the difference.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/microfiches-recherche_piece-38770-K33-J02.html

The site you quote is not a Honda or parts fiche/identifier site.

Have a look at the ecu part number on these bikes on my above link and then look in detail at the bikes via this site. This ecu is not from a 300. They are 250s. If you look at the fiche for each model you will see part numbers for identical piston, valves, bore, inlet cam, crank, rings and valves to the rally - the only significant difference is that a rally runs a cbr300r exhaust cam. This cam brings the peak torque and hp at a slightly lower rpm. Comparing a Cbr300r to 250 dyno chart shows the difference.
    jonnylikesvtwins and mbravo like this.
  10. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Words fail me!-almost !--can't wait for real people to chime in--why even bother with this post as it achieves nothing?
  11. jonnylikesvtwins

jonnylikesvtwins Have I learned anything yet?

Oddometer:
    Because it's really funny!! (and there's certainly a glimmer of truth in it...maybe more than a glimmer!)
    Kartik and Cuttlefish like this.
  12. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Stefan's way to the zen of the perfect travel enduro motorcycle is to be attained only by the way of the aftermarket exhaust. All else is blasphemy from the false prophets!
    Join him on his pilgrimage to the Mecca of Dutch enduro destinations...the temple of Ikea...(well the parking lot) where you will engage in worship of the stock Rally idol and cast off its evil accessories and smite the non-believers (or just beat the living farkle out of them).
    boboneleg, rally bob, swimmer and 4 others like this.
  13. Noisytim

Oddometer:
    There are many paths to enlightenment.
    Norduro and Cuttlefish like this.
  14. Imeall

Imeall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only scored 1 out of 12 on this list but perhaps a low number is a high score. Even with the stock rear mudguard, if the road is very wet, I still get some dirt on my jacket. So, presumably, I need to make the stock mudguard longer, not shorter.
    Stefan Bathory likes this.
  15. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    If we're going to Ikea I want the managers special with the extra meat balls! And I'm getting a cinnamon bun on the way home!
  16. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still happy with the stock exhaust, but speaking of shitty rear suspension - I swapped in a YSS shock last week and took it for a ride on the weekend. Mostly tarmac, two up with approx 15kg luggage. If you ever ride with a passenger or any luggage it's an awesome improvement.

Also first longer ride with the Moskomoto nomad tank bag and 30l backcountry bag on the rear rack. This stuff is really expensive. But from what I can say right now I'd buy it again. Very well thought out and executed. I'm pretty certain I'll use this stuff the next 5 years or longer.

I also swapped out the rear tire because it was done after 6500km. Shinko 805 120/90 as was suggested here before is a nice replacement. dry season here, mud is hard to find but gravel and asphalt performance are nice.

20180325_085748-01.jpeg

The blue bag under the beavertail is a 15l backpack which easily found place there.
    GlosBoy45, sKatZ and brenhden like this.
  17. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted a few pictures from that nice offroad ride before, but I think I never posted the video here so there it is:

Bkadv2, PRN, GlosBoy45 and 11 others like this.
  18. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    That is one beautiful video. Fantastic countryside, and the section between minute 6 and minute 8 is ridiculous! Not sure I would do that by myself!
    78er and sKatZ like this.
  19. brenhden

brenhden Happy camper

Oddometer:
    What are great place to live. Yes, 6:38 had me holding my breath!

Has there been serious flooding or is it an annual event?
    78er and sKatZ like this.
  20. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I know but just buy a bigger KTM you silly fools.