HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hltoppr

Hltoppr El Gringo Spectacular

Oddometer:
    IMG_2233.JPG A week of fun in Baja! Rally did great, although really deep ... 15 miles of it... sand along the Baja 250 race route ate my lunch!

IMG_2268.JPG
    GlosBoy45, 78er, Wind_Rider and 2 others like this.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been posted before.

Published on Mar 5, 2018Get your suspension working right on your Honda CRF250L Rally ADV Bike! In this vide we show how to properly install a new Race Tech Fork Spring in the Honda CRF250L Rally. Race Tech fork springs are a great addition to any dirt bike, dual sport, adventure or street bike. Race Tech fork springs are heat-treated and shot-peened and manufactured with high quality materials for extremely accurate rates while still being lightweight. These high-performance aftermarket motorcycle fork springs are available in various spring rates to suite the riders weight and riding style.
    jonnylikesvtwins likes this.
  3. Jade Overland

Jade Overland https://www.instagram.com/jade_overland/

Oddometer:

15 miles of that would take me all day. Baja sounds and looks like a lot of fun, but that picture is how I would spend my entire day.
    GlosBoy45, 1litre and brenhden like this.
  4. webbiker

webbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firstly, excellent post Noisytim

Experimented with center mounted LED bar. DIY mounts with a threaded rod running through the dash/light assy.
    Details can be found on the interwebs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A bit goofy looking

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GlosBoy45, 78er, Wind_Rider and 2 others like this.
  5. jonnylikesvtwins

jonnylikesvtwins Have I learned anything yet?

Oddometer:
    Hello, I just purchased a barely-used 2017 Honda Rally 250 (had less than 320 miles on the odometer) from a super-nice guy in TN. I plan on having it serve as my mini adventure bike for completing journeys like the eastern portion of the TAT, the Smoky Mtns 500, and the MABDR (let's say a 50/50 mix of paved/gravel roads):
    I want to use soft luggage on it.
    -Is the Tusk rear rack the best option for this? I like the idea of it serving as a crashbar in the rear as well as a pannier support...but if there are better options, please let me know. Also, after installation, is the tool kit box rendered inaccessible?

-I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 200lbs without my riding gear on; should I immediately do the fork spring/rear shock spring upgrades, or should I wait until I put another 1000 or so miles on it?

I know that in the coming months/years I will have more questions & I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks in advance!!
  6. Radelaide

Radelaide Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Antonius Block

Antonius Block Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone using Conti TKC80's?
  8. Scoobydidler

Scoobydidler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd rather ride with no tyres, don't do it. Expensive, crap off road, there are loads of alternatives that work, cost less and last longer.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Cutter16 likes this.
  9. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    I was looking into putting Oxfords on my AT and my Rally. Around here that will run me about $125.00 CAD each plus tax. I have also been looking at battery powered heated gloves and wired heated gloves that come in around the $250.00 CAD price. thinking these might be a better option as I can take them from bike to bike and even on the XRs when we're kicking it old school up north. I love my heated vest that I've had for 10 years now and have always kicked my self for not getting the matching gloves at the same time. has anyone used the HELD or Power In Motion battery heated gloves? I think i'm leaning toward the Power In Motion gloves as they are Canadian made and there is a distributer a block from my work.
  10. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    My 2 cents. I have the Oxfords on my AT, and they are spectacular. Best feature is the ease of installment. You just wire them to your battery. They have an automatic shut-off so they don't have to be wired to ignition. And easy to use control panel with 6 settings.
    Wired heated gloves are a pain in the ass. More wires. More plugs. More connections to go wrong.
    Battery gloves need batteries or re-charging. Again, a pain in the ass. "HotHands" chemical packs work just as well.

p.s., when the temperatures get below 32 degrees, none of these options work that well alone. I often supplement the heated Oxford grips with a "HotHands" chemical pack in each glove. And wind protection via HippoHands.
  11. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    @docgonzo the rechargeable gloves are good for eight hours. I really only need them for morning commutes (1 hour) and cold weather rides which are never all day long rides anyways. Cold is always a supplemented thing anyway. Hence the heated gloves.
  12. webbiker

webbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair to test if they would do the trick. Mine were chinese, but based on my experiences the idea works. With high end gloves even better I assume.
    1litre likes this.
  13. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had oxfords on numerous bikes and they are great....BUT make sure they have the most recent controller (V-8). Also the glue provided is superglue....nasty shit as you get ONE change to get them on right...I have ruined grips when the glue set up half on. Use a 5 minute epoxy that is good for over 300F....a much better choice...by Locktite I think...shop well as there are 212F epoxy out there....not good enough. I would think canadian made snowmobile oriented heated glove providers would understand severe cold usage
    1litre likes this.
  14. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    I figure I have multiple bikes and would like to have heated grips on two. that puts me in the same price range as the lithium battery heated gloves. the one i'm swaying towards is more of a glove liner. Or there is the Helds that are for sale 50% off at this time.
  15. Hltoppr

Oddometer:
    Wolfman Enduro Dry, without liners. Also using a rear rack from Dirt Bagz. Both worked great... the rear left tool box flexes though.

-H-
    Radelaide likes this.
  16. Hltoppr

Oddometer:
    My riding is decent in mild sand, but this was deep! Just couldn't get on top of it before hitting a rut or a tank slapper!

Mid day... hot... my girlfriend and I were happy to finally hit hardpack!

-H-
  17. leevil

leevil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just put the Tusk side and rear racks on last weekend. They are great! A little heavy, but they are really well built and have a nice fit. I originally tried the side racks from Bikerzbits and was not happy with them at all. They seemed pretty good, but the bar that connects the two sides goes up and under the rear fender. You take one hard hit and the rear tire hits the bar. Needless to say, the tire grabbed the bar, pulled and twisted it forward, tweaked all of the racks, it was a real mess. These new Tusk ones are MUCH BETTER! You say you want soft luggage. There are lots of options that don't need pannier racks at all. Mosko Moto, Giant Loop, Nelson Rigg-to name a few. I went with the Mosko Moto Scout 25 Pannier set. The only downside of this set up is the Rally is already a wide bike, but with the racks and the side bags (I also have a rotopax on each side) it feels like I'm as wide as a bus. As far as the fork and shock upgrades, I did them both. I highly suggest you get them done as well, especially if you want to carry any luggage. I added the Race Tech front spring kit and swapped out the rear spring for a Race Tech one. Oh yea, regarding the tool box, I just removed my Rally tool box altogether. Once these side racks are on, you have no access to the tool box without removing the racks. I removed mine and stuck a tool tube there in it's place. I really wanted to get the rotopax on the inside of the rack, but it just wasn't practical with my setup.
    jonnylikesvtwins likes this.
  18. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    LEEVIL: Good info on racks. Did you do the fork work he did in the video on post #4809? Did you change the shock spring yourself?
  19. leevil

leevil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed@Ford: Hi there! I just watched that Rocky Mountain video of the Race Tech front fork kit about an hour ago. I did not do the work myself, but that is exactly what was done. I'll do a lot of minor things (some would say the spring and shock are minor), but I figured a professional would do a better job than me. I shared the information that HeidiHo posted on here with my mechanic, but the Race Tech spring kit came with the same instructions. The rear shock was a bit of a hassle. I was on the phone with Race Tech quite a few times. First figuring out what spring rate would be good for me. I didn't want the spring to be too hard when I wasn't fully loaded and I didn't want it to be too soft when I had all of my gear with me. We decided the 7.6 would be a good choice somewhere in the middle. I was assured that the Rear Spring would just be a direct swap, but sadly it wasn't. My mechanic said there was no way the spring was going to work without fabricating some kind of spacer because it was much shorter than the original. Race Tech continued to say it was a direct swap and offered to fit the spring on the shock for me if I brought it to them. As soon as they saw it, they acknowledged that it would not fit and they ended up making a spacer/collar for me. When you purchase a spring for the Rally now, it comes with a spacer/collar :)
  20. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:

all done and tacho working fine now ..thanks for the info :drink
    dsanchez31, rally bob and Noisytim like this.