HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Stefan Bathory

Stefan Bathory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it’s something for you, I don’t know. I ride only Japanese motorcycles and swear by them. My neighbour has switched from KTM to Kawasaki recently. How could that be, abandon a perfect God given KTM, why??! I guess he decided he wants to ride and not learn the service manual by heart.
  2. AdventureBrad

AdventureBrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. AdventureBrad

AdventureBrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all new here so not sure if I can search for my answers but I have a 17 Rally and busted up the plastics and bent the radiator. Can I put regular 250l plastics on? Seems nobody makes a decent skid plate for the rally. Second question is on suspension. I'm only 145 lbs but have no problem blowing through the suspension. Have heard of a Olins(?) Rear shock and a racetec spring kit. Anyone care to enlighten me on the subject? Thanks a bunch!
  4. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's more or less an annual event. Severity of the flooding and land slides varies depending on where typhoons and accompanying heavy rains make landfall during rainy season. This area was hit badly last year without doubt. I'm always impressed by the people who actually live in these mountains, making these roads with 2up and more on 110cc semi-automatics or ancient-looking Honda XRs and the like.
    brenhden likes this.
  5. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being here in the USA near an IKEA, this prompts a good laugh.....but sadly no "dirt playground" to trespass on across the street....or within 150 miles!
  6. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    the rear panels go on no problem ...the tank shrouds in part are held with velcro ..but the fastening point for the 250ls panels remains out of sight ...the main problem will be the one that attaches to the 250ls tank
    circles will work ...cross obviusly not ..but they could be cut and a nea bracket made to hold it in place of the tank fastening ?

i got rid of the lowers the belly pan and side panels ..fitted a belly pan and dremmeled the side panels to fit the rallys tank shrouds ..flatlands does a good rad guard pretty substantial ... and thats a good idea too

hope you were ok thats the main thing

[​IMG]aaa by minkyhead56, on Flickr

[​IMG]aaaaaaa by minkyhead56, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0850 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
  7. AdventureBrad

AdventureBrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks but I just ran across a picture of your cut up rally with a standard 250l skid and like that look a bunch. Thanks!
    minkyhead likes this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Your ignorance is showing again.
    rally bob and brenhden like this.
  9. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ohlins sells a fully adjustable rear shock (comes with 2 different springs) and a fork spring kit. Some here have installed YSS rear shock with good reviews. RaceTech also makes a kit for the Rally now so there are a lot of choices and different price points.

I put the Ohlins kit on over the winter and took a few short rides on it where I felt it was a big improvement in both spring rate and damping but then I broke my leg skiing. I can't give a very comprehensive review for a few more months.
    AdventureBrad likes this.
  10. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wind rider: I hope you leg was a simple tib-fib fracture and you got it pinned (no plaster). My tib-fib healed quickly...but in the mean time the ankle and the knee stiffened up and got "lazy"....lots of rehab getting those bastardly joints whipped back into shape.
    Neil_The_Wheel likes this.
  11. TTTom

TTTom some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    OK, that was hilarious.

And yes, in the past I've been guilty of overdoing things. No more, the new motto is less stuff, more fun.
    Stefan Bathory and sKatZ like this.
  12. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going through this right now, tib/fib all screwed back together. I can't believe how fast your leg atrophies. I swear my calve muscle is half the size now in only 3-4 weeks. I can't even use crutches because I broke my collar bone too on the same side. Will be starting PT real soon, will find out this Friday.

How long did it take you to get back once you started physical therapy?
  13. rally bob

rally bob Lazy Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    The inexperienced Stefan Bathory...guide to the 250 rally!

1. Buy under powered over weight CRF 250 Rally as Honda intended it to be, not how H.A.D, Honda Accounts Department needed it to be...
    2.Smile and look tall.
    3.Buy hand muffs...much better than handguards.
    4.Buy 600 euro Arrow full exhaust system.
    5.Buy ear plugs as 600 euro Arrow full exhaust system is a bit too loud.
    6. Ikea car park has a 94db noise limit.
    7. Lay the bike down at stand still on level grassland to test durability in a crash.
    8. Go in to Ikea store and order a full plate of meatballs wearing brand new riding gear, boots, gloves and shiny helmet...no dirt of course.
    9. Season meatballs to prefered taste.
    10. Finally you have a bike that is clean and still has not been ridden by anyone 'OFFROAD'
    11.Enjoy your hand rolled cigarette and 250ml of Amstel.
    12. Come ride with us....
    Chrisbarnes1 likes this.
  14. Dustycowboy

Dustycowboy Cantine

Oddometer:
    I installed this tank on my bike. I have yet to use it since it's still too cold to ride up here. The tank was relatively easy to install and the fit was good. Instructions are a bit confusing thought...
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  15. rally bob

rally bob Lazy Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Just wondering what the offroad riders are using for sprocket teeth ratios? As we all know standard is 14/40 and is probably good for how many individuals are using their bike.
    I switched quite early to a 13 tooth gear box sprocket but I'm thinking of going up to a 42 on the rear, so I will have 13/42. I'm not bothered about highway or fast roads or motorway work. The A and B roads and lanes i use I can live with plodding along at 50mph max (saving them knobbles) I was interested in what other people are using and how they are finding it? cheers.
  16. Pistola26c

Pistola26c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mate, You've sold me.... Its certainly worth a try and you right, there is further evidence from other articles suggesting as such the 2017 cb250f also has 29PS (Whatever that is), at worst I change it back.
    Noisytim likes this.
  17. Pistola26c

Pistola26c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 13T on the front. I changed it fairly early myself (best mod ever). I did add a 42T to the rear not long after thinking this is going to be awesome.... I can tell you the same feeling you get from replacing the front isnt quite the same as changing the rear. Dont get me wrong there is a difference (seat of the pants) but i just felt it was revving harder but without the momentum..... Hard to describe without making broom broom noises. I did about 300km's, I have since changed it back now to the original 40T. I think that is a good combo. I do bits of everything, trail riding, hill climbing, commute and Highway. Just my opinion hope it helps. At the end of the day for 40 bucks why not give it try....Just ask Stefan first.
    rally bob likes this.
  18. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its a simple percentage thing--going from 14 to 13 is about 7% reduction, and going from 40 to 42 is 5% reduction. Adding both together is way over 10% and probably too much to be practical? I think it really depends on what first gear is like offroad for you--for me if its too tall for trickling with the clutch in then simply changing to 13 will help a lot. Honda ratios are such that they have a decent spread, unlike lots of performance oriented "enduro" bikes, and thus you will still get a decent 6th gear performance. Changing the front is a lot quicker and much less expensive--especially with Honda's sprocket attachment method--no giant torques or tab washers!--and of course ask Stefan first.
  19. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh crap...broken collarbone too. Never been to that movie, but my buddy who has says it's no fun. My PT was 3x a week by a really good therapist for a couple months on some very specialized machines used by the UofM football team. Her idea of a good session was that you left drenched in sweat and tears. She concentrated on the knees and ankles. She did the same to both legs to make sure they ended up at equal strength.
  20. Stefan Bathory

Stefan Bathory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you’ve spent money with no or negative result. You’ve just proved my point really. The more mods you make, the more experienced you become. Amen.