HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    well yes hes spent money ..and it didnt pad out ..and yes because of that hes more expirianced ..and shared it with others ..

the old question how do you get expiriance by trying nothing ...the answer is you dont . not everything that doesnt work is a waste .... far from it ..it sits in the memory bank and somthing that doesnt work can be quite usful or indicate if your barking up the right or wrong tree

rally bob can play with low gearing amd make the bike much better on the trail ..hes not hobbled by longer distances ...
    i choose to use duel gearing and the only way i can get it right is to try it ..

this is usful if you want to play with ratios

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

[​IMG]DSC_1045 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
  2. Hltoppr

Hltoppr El Gringo Spectacular

Oddometer:
    I installed an Ohlins front and rear before my recent Baja trip. I used the heavier spring rate in both...what an amazing difference!

I have the Race Tech springs that were installed but never ridden before swapping for the Ohlins...check the Flea Market Parts section of the forum if you'd like a deal on those.

-H-
  3. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suggest that you read the post again!--changing to a 13 was a definite result for him--THEN going to a 42 on top proved relatively neutral---basically from 7 to about 11% reduction--and as Minky says--its really about your type of riding--not everyone wants real offroad performance and would rather maintain the motorway type cruise ability--fortunately everyone is different , and difference is to be celebrated, shared, and not criticised.
    Terje, rally bob and mbravo like this.
  4. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Is this lil CRF as underpowered as some say?
    I mean, say compared to a WR250R?
  5. Stefan Bathory

Stefan Bathory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is as powerful as a 2.3 liter car in comparison. Whether it’s underpowered I’ll leave for you to decide.
  6. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stefan knows best !--I have a WR250R--and its also geared down a bit---to be honest I don't think there is much in it as both are in the high 20s for BHP. The Honda is about 20 kg heavier---it really depends on your riding--if its gentle trails then you are never really flat out anyway. Both will trot along at 70 mph without too much of a problem. The Yam is probably a better build quality, but the Honda is very good value in comparison--and its proved by its world popularity. People will always mess around with the spec as its part of the fun for a good proportion of owners.
  7. mbravo

mbravo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the topic of rackless saddle bags of the non-horseshoe variety - did anyone use Enduristan Blizzard of one size or another (I think or intrepid BkAdv had those but he seems to be on the road at the moment) and/or the new Kriega OS Base ones, on the Rally? If you had, could you share impressions and especially pics of the mounts and fit?
    webbiker likes this.
  8. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Janus 9 and Ed@Ford for the well wishes... replying via PM to keep the Rally thread on the Rally ...
  9. Neil_The_Wheel

Oddometer:
    I owned a WR250R for a couple of riding seasons and about 10K miles. Great little bike, really enjoyed it. Overall, the build quality was higher on the Yamaha, but the standard features and ergos of the Honda are better for my riding style. For longer riding days the Honda is just more relaxed and comfortable. The WR is a more capable tight trails bike and the Honda Rally is a better travelling companion.

Comparing the power of the WR vs Rally is really about what you like: The WR has a great high RPM hit that is fun and addictive. It is almost like when you are on the pipe on a 2 stroke. The Rally has a much deeper bottom end and is more forgiving as it has more power down low and in the mid range but it kind of flattens out in the last 1/4 of the rev band so it kinda asks you not to play there as much.

The WR has more absolute horsepower but if you are not spinning it to the top 1/3 of the rev band the Honda feels more powerful and is just easier to live with if you are riding a long day.
  10. Neil_The_Wheel

Oddometer:
    Wait... who is doing it wrong??

Is it wrong to modify a bike to fit your needs or desires? Is it wrong to ride a bike bone stock? Is it wrong to spend money on a cheap bike? Given that fact that ADVRider is an international "community" and riders from all over the world are riding in completely different terrains, environments, climates, and traffic situations, is there ever one perfect way to setup a motorcycle for every riding situation?

I have done it all wrong in the past and I have tried to turn bikes into things which they were not and I have learned from this and had fun along the path. I still have never met a motorcycle that I didn't like but some were a lot easier to get along with than others.

Ride on Rally Bob and Stefan Bathory.

The only wrong way to do it is to not ride at all!
  11. rally bob

rally bob Lazy Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    The 'Minkyspec' 250 Rally is gaining a bit of a following Brad....that's the good side BTW ;) after bash 004.JPG
    AdventureBrad likes this.
  12. finadk

finadk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the first thoughtful knowledgeable comparison I have seen.
  13. AdventureBrad

AdventureBrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will post some pictures tomorrow including the ruff side I do notice more wind on my legs and the aluminum skid plate makes a racket. Hind sight I should have just bought the regular L model but overall having a blast with it!
  14. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
    anyone done a motor swap yet? perhaps the bike is just too new...
  15. Kevingrahambutler

Kevingrahambutler Low rider

Oddometer:
    I bought the bike as I like the way it looks, and with the Honda reliability should be a very good bike for many miles So I’m happy to keep it as is and just add some protection where needed,
    If I wanted a 300 or extra horses then I would have bought something else,
    I spoke to the lad at Honda he told me they are looking at a 500 rally In the near future,
    Stefan Bathory and AdventureBrad like this.
  16. AdventureBrad

AdventureBrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a pre filter or outerware for our bikes? Running a K and N. But about to leave to Baja for a few weeks and want some extra protection.

And has anyone played with the stock fuel filter? Does it clog easy and how hard is it to change. Kinda sketchy on the gas. Thanks all!
  17. AdventureBrad

AdventureBrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As promised the ruff side.
    IMG_20180328_093812671.jpg
  18. Howlinsage

Howlinsage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 500 Rally!!!!!.................................sounds too good to be true. Single or twin, it doesn't matter, Honda just needs to do it.
  19. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Bit early...April the 1st is still a few days away.
  20. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you like your camel tank?

Looks like it has taken a drop or two?