HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. NewB!

NewB! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I looked into this yesterday. I have been using WD40 gel lubricant and it works great. However I learned that o-ring chains do not require lubrication.
  2. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    CAMELTANK FUEL RANGE

For those wondering about CamelTank Fuel Range, and to compare to BigDogs post about the IMS tank fuel range, I ran through a fuel load on the CamelTank and took some fuel guage pics.

At about 145 miles it comes off of Full on the guage:

IMG_20190413_104708058_Full_HDR.jpg

At about 200 miles there are 3 bars remaining.

IMG_20190413_123713175_200MilesHDR.jpg

At around 241 miles it went to the final bar... I did not push it to run out but the tribe here probably knows the distance from final bar to walking.

IMG_20190420_113833821241miOneBar_HDR.jpg

This fuel load was a mix of dirt roads, a tiny bit of trails, some city riding, some two lane twisty highway and about 40 miles of high speed freeway up to 75 MPH so it was a pretty good mix.

I think it safe safe to say that the stock tank + CamelTank can deliver around 250-275 miles of real world fuel range and that makes this mini Adventure bike more useful here in the Western US where there can be a whole lot of emptiness and distance between fuel stations.
    lrgart, PRN, boboneleg and 2 others like this.
  3. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda Rally + CamelTank + DirtRacks + Giant Loop MotoTrekk Panniers

I wanted to setup my Rally initially for BDR style touring or weekend adventures. Here in the Western US it is not uncommon to have routes that span 200+ miles between fuel stops so I installed the CamelTank for extended fuel range.

I wanted some flexible luggage system that could easily change from 10 liters to 60 liters so after futzing around with it for a while I came up with this solution from Dirt Racks, Skaggs Moto Designs, and Giant Loop. The MotoTrekk panniers are just over 20 liters and fit the Honda nicely. With the panniers installed and full the max width at the back is 34" which is a couple of inches narrower than the handlebars. The panniers can quickly come off if not needed.

For a tail bag I am running the GL Klamath and it is mounted far enough back to allow for a Mosko Moto Stinger 20 or other similar sized dry bag to be strapped on the passenger seat and still allow adequate room for the rider.

The dirt racks are pretty light, easy to remove with just a couple of bolts, and well built. I like the position of the panniers on these racks: the weight of the pannier contents is low and forward.

Here are some pictures of the whole setup installed.

IMG_20190418_202616274.jpg IMG_20190418_202630278.jpg IMG_20190418_202705749.jpg IMG_20190420_102528782_HDR.jpg IMG_20190420_103612776.jpg IMG_20190420_103959376.jpg IMG_20190420_104040124_HDR.jpg
    PRN, Iceman68, boboneleg and 4 others like this.
  4. rocksterman

rocksterman adventure duffer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff! I Run the IMS tank for the same reasons. I prefer to maintain the OE storage compartment to hold my mini-compressor. Also using GL but the Mojavi and Possibles pouch.
  5. rocksterman

Oddometer:
    Trail tested my new lighting and tail tidy today. Lighting held up well in a couple drops. License plate mounting may need to be relocated, though what I really need is a proper suspension setup.... IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0399.jpg
    DanCX, PRN, 78er and 1 other person like this.
  6. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did about 1,200 miles doing the Trans Ohio Trail just a few days ago.
    If your interested-----the story, with pics and video's are at this link.
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/TOT.htm

A friend joined my on his WR250R and it has 125,000 miles on it. Can't wait to see if the rally will do that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OB1UK, Forty-Won, Iceman68 and 12 others like this.
  7. popohun

popohun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WD40 chain lubricant?
    I realized there is a family of motorcycle cleaner lubricant etc under the name of WD40.

Somebody use the classic old WD40 for lubing the chain. If yes how often to use.
    Guess it disappears very quickly from the chain
  8. Fanbiker

Fanbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing bigdogadventures well worth a visit to the like you supplied. Looks like awesome ride.
  9. chestnut1969

chestnut1969 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use WD40 every few weeks to clean chain (or as required) and gear oil to lube once a week
    boboneleg likes this.
  10. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    When I saw your initial photos, I figured that license plate would hit your tire on complete compression of the rear suspension. Looks like I was right!
    Otherwise nice set up.
    rocksterman and Imlime like this.
  11. gscoaster

gscoaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those led lights look great.. I assume you had go use the led flasher relay also?
  12. Imlime

Imlime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It appears the running lights remain operational. Is that the case?
  13. rocksterman

Oddometer:
    No relay. I like hyper-flashing! I did lose the front running lights, though. The only 3 wire lights I can find are too expensive.
  14. rocksterman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’ll have to relocate the bracket and angle it rearward a bit. Easy fix!
  15. rocksterman

Oddometer:
    No. Just two wires. I had the flashers going.
  16. Crotch Rocket

Crotch Rocket "if you get off the couch, shit happens"

Oddometer:
    I replaced the stock with Tuff Lites. The Tuff Lites have 2 wires and the stock has 3. The green on stock is ground, the black on Tuff Lites. I wired the other two stock wires together ( I forget the colors) with the brown on Tuff Lites. I also wired in new flasher. The faster flash was OK but I had the new flasher already. Came with the Universal Tuff Lite kit.
    I now have running lights and turn signals running independently.
    The only drawback for me is the two green light on dash for turn signals are always on.
    Kind of bugs me but we’ll see if I can’t live with it. Trying to remember wether front or back wears original running lights.
  17. rocksterman

Oddometer:
    I am thinking to mount some small driving lights on the front reflector brackets and not really concerned about retaining the OE running lights.
  18. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    The Euro bike has the permanent running lights at the front.
  19. NewB!

NewB! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are the products I use 20190421_191328.jpg
    DanCX and chestnut1969 like this.
  20. givitsum

givitsum Scottish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi NewB! Nice pic if a bit minimalistic. We've got gardening twine to tie up the bits that are falling off - I prefer cable ties mesel. A WD40 spray - as my African firrers used to say to me back in the day - 'Give me instant maintainance Master'. It worked for them then and probably still works now. WD40 degreaser - the main problem I have with degreasers is that it can seep in where you don't want it to seep in and degreases bits you would rather not degrease. Pristine kitchen roll - I do like that. Duct tape - almost as useful as zip ties to stick damaged fairings and bits together for the last race of the day, Scrutineering took place this morning so who cares if it's safe or not.

Almost forgot the can of Zippo - lighter fuel I guess as it's over there beside the welding gauntlets for the big fire when everything gets too much. Just make sure your insurance is up-to-date.

Is that a packet of aspirins front left? You will need em when this lot goes BOOM!

Sorry NewB! Just taking a break from gardening - we are having a Heat Wave and it's not sumthin we are accustomed to in the Western Isles :jack
    rocksterman likes this.