HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Xevel

Xevel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190818_142659.jpg
    Ready for a quick tour (2 weeks on the TET in France, Italy and Switzerland, no camping).
    That's the "before" picture in my backyard!

Everything fits in the Enduristan Blizzard XL saddlebags, but I added a 20L drybag on the rack just for the rain gear, and stuff I will pick up along the way.

Lots of mods, the ones I prefer are:

A custom sun visor over the phone holder (holder: GUB G-86, phone: Galaxy S8). That thing is a godsent in the rain !
    The phone might by waterproof, its touchscreen is rendered worse than useless by droplets, since it will detect random touches and do fun things like opening preferences, or closing the navigation app while you are riding. Also, with it's curved edge, the very top of the screen is hard to see when it is cloudy.
    Both these problems are solved with that breathtaking use of technology ! (3D printed clamp, aluminum bracket to hold a large piece of black foam at the correct angle).
    20190815_224046.jpg

In the same area, i have grown tired of imprecise interaction with the phone when wearing gloves, all the more with my old summer gloves with worn out tactile patches.
    So I added a small stylus, with a magnetic holder (strong enough that you can just throw it in the general area and it will catch) and a lanyard just long enough to be used on the phone when it is in the holder, and just short enough that it will not be a risk to the steering of it falls.
    I will change the holder position when I return as the stylus sometimes falls when i reach for the keys... But it's been great checking my route while at a red light under the rain :)
    20190816_012617.jpg

Last is about the bags. The Enduristan bags have no security whatsoever, the can be opened in 2s by a kid with just his hands, without looking suspicious. While I understand that security is an illusion and any determined individual will find a way to get your stuff, I just wanted to upgrade to the level where someone would need to have a tool and apply some force to open the bags. That's enough for me to go in a shop to buy food without stressing too much.
    So I designed locks for the side release buckles. They are 3D printed and use a padlock for the locking action. When it's on, the release mechanism is protected, and it's nearly impossible to loosen the straps (though it's still possible to tighten them).
    I have tried to destroy it and I could not do it without pliers... good enough for me. After all a pair of scissors or a knife will easily open the bag...
    20190817_171845.jpg
    78er, GlosBoy45, twaldron and 3 others like this.
  2. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    What part of the TET are you riding (in France), I've done some parts of it.
  3. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    This could be like a secret handshake society, toss your keys on the bar and if you spot a black washer you'll know you are in the company of greats...:-)

Not Fowlers. It came from oop north, Castle Motorcycles in Castleford. They were selling off their pre-reg 2017 bike at a substantial discount. Zero miles, fitted the Kappa rack and delivered it to me for free. What's not to like?

My nearest dealer is Thunder Road in Gloucester and it went there for its 600 mile initial service and won't be going back...
    GlosBoy45 and boboneleg like this.
  4. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the good way to go tubeless on a CRF250L Rally?

60/40% on road use and up to highway speeds.

Outex? Tubeliss? Something else?
  5. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Search Minkyhead in this thread. He has some serious miles on his. Pretty trouble free if I recall.
  6. Xevel

Xevel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started today in Orleans, going down. Mostly road , 30% easy dirt tracks so far. A few small fun parts though, and already 3 corrections to submit to the linesman.
    boboneleg likes this.
  7. chestnut1969

chestnut1969 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I try to keep it simple especially loaded up for camping so basically the kit that came with the bike plus what I need for flat tyres and chain break
  8. chestnut1969

chestnut1969 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got just over 300km on a full tank, fully loaded with camping gear. About 60/40 freeway/back-dirt road
  9. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know if the bike works well without landa probe? It has broken when changing exhaust ... It does not recognize and the warning light on the frame comes on, but the motorcycle goes like a plane!
  10. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone?
  11. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    simplemind likes this.
  12. ymmot_81

ymmot_81 n00b

Oddometer:
    Usually when a lamda sensor stops working, the software jumps to "limp home mode" making the fuel mixture too rich and the vehicle starts running quite poorly.
    But that does not seem to be the case for you, if your bike still goes like a plane :-)
  13. N11 EXPEESS

N11 EXPEESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I broke one before and got a shock when I seen the prices in Europe they were €240
    But managed to get one from partzilla in America for €65 euro delivered. My engine light was on but didn’t risk riding it as these bikes apparently need them
  14. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aliexpress.....they list lots of them, very inexpensive, 100% chinese, I have bought some stuff from them, never a cover, most stuff is just OK...sometimes delivery is massively slow
  15. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you get lucky with one that fits the Rally....One to keep rain/frost off the seat could be handy for overnight trip use.
  17. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tubeliss is not DOT legal. Plus you will never balance it. I would go Outex before Tubeliss.

Watch this first.

I've got 3500ish miles on my rear wheel. Converted at about 600-700 miles. I've done some remote solo trips and have full confidence. Haven't lost a psi in months. Front, tubed, sees a lot of airing down (northern Nevada desert) then back up post ride. The rear has been down as far as 12-15 psi but I like it at 18-20 on a daily basis. TKC-80.

All rim parts must be clean clean clean as you work each part of the process.
    Jarrett2 likes this.
  18. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Got my Outex kit ordered.
    JungleDeath likes this.
  19. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Two questions about a 2017 Rally:

Will the Racetech spring kits make a noticeable difference in the suspension?

Are there any gear changes that would make the bike better off pavement or did they get that right from the factory?
  20. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 165-170lbs. I put two turns of preload on the spring the day i brought it home. Good for ride height, bad for rebound speed (sped up).

I think the spring option highly depends on your area you ride in, rider weight, and of course your riding style. The more aggressive you ride in tougher terrain the more likely you will need an aftermarket shock. There are 4 high quality options for shocks...ymmv.

I live in northern Nevada. 4700ft, wind, passes (on and off road) commuter, solo camping. I get by with 13/40. I tried 13/42 and i felt it was rapped out when traveling by pavement. With the 13/40 and lots of dual sport use, i am religiously hitting 67mpg with Pirelli Scorpion Rally front and a TKC-80 rear.
    PRN likes this.