HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    ben416: did you unplug the plug wire and plug in a spark plug looking for spark? is it in neutral, sidestand up. clutch in?
  2. ben416

ben416 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, that’s the next step, I was wiggling wires around the ignition coil and it started and ran smoothly for 10 seconds then just quit and wouldn’t even display a hint of ignition. Unfortunately it started raining as soon as I got to that point and now I have to wait for it to pass. This has happened once before and it was a loose wire but I can’t for the life of me recall where it was or what it went to.
  3. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously, look for wires you could have hit with the power washer, or have fiddled with recently. Problem solving theory always says look first at the last thing you did. It's called Kepner Trego problem solving theory....developed at the Rand corporation....to bring you better nuclear weapons
    ben416 likes this.
  4. ben416

ben416 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I figured out a partial answer. Yes it is the ignition coil I'm quite sure. After getting frustrated and putting the panels back on so I could trailer it to my dads house where I have more access to tools I tried firing it up one more time and it ran perfectly like nothing ever happened. I rode it over, removed all the plastics and checked all the wiring and it seems just fine. No more problems.

I think when the problem initially occurred I had cranked it over so much trying to start it that I flooded the engine. When I finally got to messing with the ignition coil wiring it was so flooded it couldn't start. That would explain why it started for a brief time later than stopped, and after waiting longer it fired up no problem. I looked back in my post history here and found that it was the ignition coil wire that I had to mess with last time this happened in August of 2018.

This is the 2nd time this has happened since I bought the bike so I'm wondering if my ignition coil is faulty? New coil is around $25 so I may just replace it for peace of mind.

The post from last year. The difference is I was more tired today and didn't think to mess with that until after having tried to crank it over many times.
  5. huckinnz

huckinnz n00b

Oddometer:
  6. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    How did you wash it off? By hand or with a pressure washer? With only one cylinder, a set of wet ignition electrics sounds most likely. Brian

Doh! Written before I got to your later post :-)
  7. ben416

ben416 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A very good thought tho! I used a household garden hose in this instance and it had been sitting for a few days since I had washed it.
  8. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190912_184059.jpg New stickers
    GlosBoy45, breakm, Iceman68 and 4 others like this.
  9. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190912_202831.jpg
    GlosBoy45, breakm and thanossw1 like this.
  10. canis

canis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike! Great pics.
    ErÑete likes this.
  11. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently changed from 13/40 to 14/44 gearing. New RHK x-ring chain and added some bling as well :) The original chain had a few links that were really stiff. 19tkm so far on the bike.

Also put on a new Shinko E805 rear tire. The previous one lasted more than 12000km, quite good value for money.

20190901_064936-01.jpeg 20190901_065017-01.jpeg 20190901_124549-01.jpeg
    thanossw1 likes this.
  12. rony05

rony05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Hey @rony05 who makes that rear rack
  14. rony05

rony05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM rack
  15. chopper13

chopper13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might let the Japan ecu go,not sure if there is any interest or not.i currently have stock ecu in bike,with full fmf system,ejk,airbox mod,14/42 gearing,uni air filter,,Japan ecu with these mods couldn’t tell any difference ,so I unplugged ejk,pull fmf full system off ,put stock air box door on,and installed the Japan ecu,,ran really go ,put not quite the same pull as bike with ejk and full system with uni air filter and mods,,in hind site.if I wouldn’t have all ready bought all the performance things like,full exhauste,ejk,uni filter,the Japan ecu would probly been good enough,so I’ve got to decide which to sell the fmf system-ejk-modded air box door(I have a stock door too),and put it back to stock with Japan ecu. Or sell the Japan Ecu. Any interest either way
  16. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    id like to buy the ecu for a freind ..if you can ship to the uk
    Willybanjo likes this.
  17. chopper13

Oddometer:
    I haven’t decided which direction I’m going yet,I seemed to ride my 990 adventure more than the rally, ,I’m located in USA,but I will check into it.would rather sell the ejk,fmf muffler and header,and modified air box lid,I would make some a great deal on complete package
  18. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok let me know which way your mop flops
  19. chopper13

Oddometer:
  20. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Judder Spring Removal - 2018 CRF250 Rally Clutch upgrade

WOW! What a difference. The clutch feel and the bike pull way better with the EBC Friction plates (#CK1313) and Barnett springs (#501-45-05050). Judder spring removal and EBC upgrade completely change the bike! Pulls first and second gear wheelies without trying and gives the bike more of a MX clutch feel.

Removed the OEM clutch with the judder springs and upgraded to the EBC friction plates using factory steel plates and the Barnett HD springs.. Removed the “judder spring” setup that comes from the factory, replaced friction plates and installed all new factory steel plates (all same pn**)

With only 4k on my original clutch, the friction and steel plates were in perfect condition, but old habits and I replaced the used steel plates with new..

Below are the part numbers for the clutch upgrade / judder spring removal:

EBC Clutch #CK1313 (Friction plates only)
    Barnett HD Springs #501-45-05050
    4x Honda STEEL CLUTCH PLATES pn# 22321-KYJ-902
    1x Honda GASKET, R. CRANKCASE COVER 11394-KYJ-900

**Removed/replaced 1x PLATE B, CLUTCH 22322-KZZ-901 with 1x PLATE, CLUTCH (Steel)22321-KYJ-902

HUGE Thank You to SoftwareDevJason for the great video

Other helpful resource is LCARS ADV video

FEW NOTES
    *Steel plates: there is a “smooth” side and a “sharp” side which happens when they are made aka “stamped” in production… the smooth side of each steel plate will lay toward the inside of the clutch basket and the sharper side is facing you when you install.. when you remove the factory clutch and feel the steel plates, you will notice there is a smooth side and a sharp side..
    *Soaked the EBC Friction plates in Honda GN4 (mineral) oil for 72 hours before install
    *EBC CK1313 = Friction plates only. Technically listed for the CBR250R, it's the SAME motor we have, and usability was confirmed by EBC tech support.
    *Barnett HD springs (#501-45-05050) are a technically for the CBR300R - usability was confirmed by Barnett tech support.

The clutch plate(s) replacement and upgrade is a relatively simple change. Just take your time, it will be the best sub $100 upgrade you make.

Happy Trails.

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 7.06.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 7.06.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 7.24.50 PM.png