HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WIEHOE!! Finally found a rally. 2018, 8300 km. Still has to pass official inspection (I'm importing from Belgium to Holland), so she's waiting in the garage.

Gives me a bit of time to get the know the bike...

What do you guys use to work on the bike, get her up a bit? I have a little bike lift, but fear I might damage the plastics on the bottom. What's your best practice?

IMG_6414.jpg IMG_6417.jpg
    boboneleg, LosTabarnacos and popohun like this.
  2. popohun

popohun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Change the plastic to some aluminum bashplate. If you are going into rocky terrain it will worth the price and for sure you can lift the bike safely
    BB has a decent one but it is pricy after paying shipping, import taxes and VAT to get it in Europe.
  3. blahzik

blahzik n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
  4. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    First mod done13 tooth drive sprocket. Waiting to get the rear rack and mount for my nav 5 in. Thinking about some 1 inch bar risers for more comfortable standing.
  5. Wisconsinkris

Wisconsinkris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m curious why you went with the 13tooth sprocket
  6. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can lift the bike just fine with the stock skid plate. I have done it many times. The stock plate is a thick plastic and there are thick rubber bumpers between the frame rails and the plate so it is no problem at all to put I right on a bike lift.

Enjoy the new bike!
    BEEF706, 78er and City Gone Bad like this.
  7. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    I just use a stock pedal lift directly under the plastic skid. The skid is way stronger than it looks and is 'not just plastics'. Mine's been up and down like a fiddler's elbow with no sign of anything amiss so far. Brian
    BEEF706 likes this.
  8. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Phmode, wind_rider, popohun: thanks! Good to hear the standard skid is strong enough for a lift. Might consider upgrading to something sturdier in the future, if I ever up my skills to rock riding.
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  9. DylanGeorgeField

DylanGeorgeField Adventure | AU

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I asked in the thread back in April if this was an appropriate RTW bike. Since then I went and had a test ride, sourced and purchased a low mileage Rally.

I've read every page of this thread and would like to thank everyone for their comments. You've influenced my decision no matter how small or big.

The bike will go with me from Melbourne > London. It's a 50,000km ride. I mainly want to thank @minkyhead for his contributions and @Hi-De-Ho for suggesting company sponsors. I've had overwhelming support. It's not much in the grand scheme of things but this RTW business is taxing. Not just on money but time and energy.

I'll keep yall updated on the build and the ride.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    To get a little more grunt out of it as I am 220 geared up, and I don’t care a lot about top end, will probably gear it down further later but this was quick and cheap. I have a ds ride in Arkansas coming up soon and need to get it setup at least minimally
    Iceman68 and internalcombust like this.
  11. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Eat your heart out Ewan and Charlie! Keep us posted and let us know whenyou expect to be in UK...:-)
  12. Grafspee

Grafspee one bike is never enough

Oddometer:
    Heading to Arkansas in October myself on my 2018 Rally, with a couple of buddies on 250cc bike we'll be in the Oark - Turners Bend area.
    Been thinking about going up a couple of teeth on the rear instead of down on the front.
    Been prepping my bike
    IMG_2025.jpg
  13. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    For risers I went with these - pushed my bars up and forward. Now much better.

Rox riser.jpg
    BEEF706 likes this.
  14. khemist

khemist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a cheap copy of those, you found the cables long enough?.
  15. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I went to Wasteland Weekend last week, and someone had a CRF Rally turned into a Road Warrior-esque raider bike! This bike seems to take to the matte black and chrome look well, haha
    LordMorgan likes this.
  16. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    No cable re-routing required whatsoever. I was going to install a ProTaper Adventure bar that I had purchased but it was going to stretch the cable to the limit - just didn’t like that idea. Will likely them up for sale.
  17. canis

canis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes that oem skid plate is strong enough. But I have this one on my Rally: https://bikerzbits.com/honda-crf250l-m-skid-bash-plate-120070.html
  18. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    We will be in oark for lunch on Friday the 18
  19. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I will still be there on Friday. We are planning to arrive on Monday the 14th and ride for 3 days then home to Southern Illinois to arrive late Saturday or Sunday. Are you going to be passing through or staying at Byrd's or Turner's Bend campgrounds?
  20. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    Staying in jasper not arriving till wed