HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys......I've read the last 20 pages of this thread and there's alot of great info here. I'm thinking about picking up a CRF250 Enduro for my son this Christmas to ride with me. Just curious how the maintenance/reliability is of these bikes?
  2. canis

canis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    maintenance? Each 12.000km
    reliability? It's a Honda ;)

You better read all the pages ;)
    78er, Phmode and JMGCO like this.
  3. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    :-):-):-):-) I'm glad I started reading LAST November...
  4. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    The CRF250 Enduro is VERY different to the CRF 250 Rally. It is a race engine that needs maintenance measured in hours not kms. The CRF250R / X has a race engine (lightweight pistons & rings with a short life span) and lightweight frame and the CRF250L / Rally has its engine based on the CBR250 road bike.

Dont confuse the 2 bikes - they are streets apart in use.

Cheers

David
    thms and Fitz Fortune like this.
  5. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, what are the widest tires that will fit on a rally? I'm going to be riding a lot of soft sand in the near future, do you think I should gear down a tooth on the front sprocket as well?
  6. FunSponge

FunSponge n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, in the spirit of being thankful to this forum:

I’ve had my ‘18 Rally for about a year and was skeptical about reports from folks who said the stock tires are sort of undermining the performance of the bike (my paraphrasing, not intending to offend). So after reading this forum I decided to change my worn-out stock tires for the Dunlop D606 rear and Pirelli MT21 front combo that so many contributors have spoken about. Also went to a 13 tooth front sprocket. Wow, I must say that I feel like I have an amazing new bike. It’s so much more stable and assured on all types of terrain, including pavement.

Thank you all for taking the time to write about your successful and failed experiments with this bike...it’s really helpful!
    ErÑete and Wind_Rider like this.
  7. canis

canis Adventurer

Oddometer:

I assumed it was about the L.
  8. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have fit a 130 width on the rear but I didn't like it and went back to a 120 which is stock.

Personally, I would go bigger on the back sprocket if you want to gear down, but the 13 is popular. Yes, if you are going to be riding a lot of sand gearing down will be a good idea. Check out sprocket calculators to play with the ratios and experiment a little to fit your riding style/environment.

Oddly, wider tires don't equal better performance in sand for motorcycles. I have a owned a few TW200s which have really wide tires and they are not as good in the sand as the Rally's stock tires. The 18/21 wheel combo on the stock rally + some relatively skinny tires sizes works really well in the sand. I would suggest the Dunlop 606 or something similar in pattern for a DOT + sandy option and staying on the stock tire sizes.

Good luck and post some pics of your Rally in the sand for everyone to enjoy.

Like this: IMG_20170716_HondRallyBeach.jpg
  9. Schnatzi

Schnatzi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I need some advice. Being 200cm tall and 95kg heavy I did a test drive with the CRF250L Rally from 2018 today. I think the bike is awesome! However, there are certain problems with the peg height and the suspension seems to be way too soft. I was told the suspension on my test bike was calibrated pretty soft, so it can be made way harder. Can someone confirm that the suspension can be calibrated to something ... good? I don't want to invest too much additional money here. Has someone experience with other pegs? I would lower them by 30mm if possible ...

What are your asses telling you about the rather hard seat? I quite liked it, but you never really know before doing really long trips ...

I would really like to take this bike on my next trip as a replacement for my DR800 :)
  10. Wind_Rider

Oddometer:
    First I would consider if you can live with a 250cc bike since you are a large person and a 250 is a small and not very powerful bike. If you are travelling on it you will likely have luggage and that will bog it down even more.

If you can get over those hurdles then yes, the suspension can be fixed and if you search this forum you will find many solutions at different price points. For your weight the stock rear shock is both under sprung and under damped so for best performance swap the shock and for low cost solution swap the spring and live with under damped.

I have no experience with footpeg lowering options for this bike and I don't like them in general so maybe someone else will chime in on that topic.
  11. Schnatzi

Schnatzi n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot! The only problem I have with the performance is the rather low torque you get in the lower rpms and that one drives the bike in general at quite high rpms. However, my only bike so far is a DR800, I don't have a well "experienced" opinion on that. On the test ride today the bike left a very good impression on me in terms of street capabilities. I almost never drive above 120km/h anyway.

My luggage is around 10-15kg, so in total the bike has to carry ~110kg. Wilbers offers a 399Euro (-10% in Oct.) Shock, so this might be a good replacement.

I just got an offer for -20mm footpegs handmade for <100Euro. Kontakt: bosley@centrum.cz

Ehm, what about the front springs? Are those probably ok for my weight?
  12. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed with regard to sprocket change. Stick with the 14t and get a 42t back, or similar.
    Are those 606 f&r in the photo? Can I ask what tire sizes you're running (aspect ratio, etc.)?
  13. Wind_Rider

Oddometer:
    My bike still was on the factory tires in that beach sand photo
  14. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What have you found that is better, ie what are you running now, and size? Thanks!
  15. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    Second and third mods. Found an old radar detector mount from a long ago RC51 I had and repurposed it into a mount for my nav V .
    F0E4728E-3CAF-440F-9B35-A893A5D98892.jpeg
    2C339FE6-135C-4C37-97F2-968E9675A48C.jpeg

Then after looking at lots of different tail bag options I ran across this in a local Honda shop.
    It is actually from the side by side crowd but I think it works great as a day rid tail bag. It is an insulated 12 pack cooler with an interior shelf that is adjustable.
    10B4DC72-A2AB-4373-9C01-76B7F0B72B9E.jpeg
    D9A8C4A8-D591-4A6D-AD98-FD8A8AD1867C.jpeg
    1litre likes this.
  16. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    The suspension can be fixed, but the salesman is talking tosh. It isn't calibrated at all, nor is it calibratable (if that's even a word).

The stock shock is a really soft one and even with the preload wound right up it will not suit your weight.

It needs replacing and the most cost-effective way seems to be the YSS unit. Do a search in here. Brian
  17. Merci639

Merci639 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    My riding friend in Berlin has a Rally. He has replaced his stock shock with a Wilbers....and spent way more than 399 Euro. He likes it but admits it does raise the seat height quite a bit. Most reports I have read indicate the rear shock improvement makes the front forks seem "better". But, if you buy a Rally, put 100 miles or so before doing anything other than a rack and some sort of luggage.....or use a backpack to carry "stuff".
  19. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like an interesting product, but it might be slanted too much towards racing use. The also mention and redirect you to a japanese website that shows a system to reprogram the ECU. No prices were mentioned. There was a larger throttle body butterfly, a 270cc piston (unknown compression ratio) with a hi temp coating. On thumper talk years ago there was commentary that the normal 250cc injector could supply fuel enough for a 325cc big bore engine. It would be interesting to see if the reprogrammer could "look" at the 2013 ECU on my CRF-L, my 2017 Rally and the "Japanese ECU" that I replaced the original Rally ECU with to so what things were "Different"...like fuel and spark.
  20. Merci639

Merci639 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they write that this is the original Honda product (or an exact copy of it).
    to change cards, you can add wiring with a button