HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Honda's Serice Manual...so far, almost every job I have needed to do has had some details (like torque values) left out of the manual.

No is the answer. I used the standard table of torque values for different bolt sizes which IS in the manual at the start of the Torque Settings section. From memory the bolts were M8 but you should measure the diameter to be sure. Brian
  2. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
    IMG_20191012_172028_881.jpg Honda is an aircraft manufacturer, right?
    78er, GlosBoy45, boboneleg and 10 others like this.
  3. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Nice! He'd have been 2 feet higher if he had fitted a tail-tidy :-)
    78er and ErÑete like this.
  4. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
    I rely on the true and tried method of "a motorcycle ridden by an unskilled idiot will naturally tend to become lighter" for selecting plastic parts that need to be removed :) The tail hasn't fallen off, so it stays.
    78er, 1litre, karlb and 1 other person like this.
  5. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    30mm bar risers in and installed bike is set now just to wait for Wednesday so I can head to Arkansas for several days of riding.
  6. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't cut your plastics yet...

I've always been bothered by the space inside the lower fairing. I think a 1.5-ish gallon fuel tank would be best served down there and maybe a 2 gallon tank up top. One day....Anyway.

There is a lot of space down there. Especially on the left side. so, I decided to fill it. With all my tools: Tool kit, 21" tube, Steel Stick, MP Bead Pro levers.

20191012_134817.jpg

20191012_134828.jpg

20191012_134907.jpg

20191012_134914.jpg

I marked out some cut spots with a Sharpie after positioning the two kits. Next, I heated a utility knife (propane), cut the holes, enlarged them with a wide/large screwdriver. Cleaned up the cut spots. Used 15" Giant Loop Pronghorn straps to secure each kit. My fairings are cracked and partially broken from low speed crashes. I figured I would eventually have to cut them back or even get rid of them. But now, I like having this stuff on the bike, down low, and hidden. I will report back if if fails. Tomorrow I am going on a ride with a dude on a XR600R so I'm curious how this mod will hold up. But I must say, it's pretty solid as of today. We will see.

20191012_162724.jpg

20191012_162744.jpg

Attached Files:

78er, PRN, Stinky and 11 others like this.
  7. Xevel

Xevel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool use of all that empty space indeed JungleDeath ! I was trying to think of a way to do something like that, but I'm not ready to cut holes in my fairings yet - I like mods that can be reverted for the moment I inevitably change my mind.

I'm not too sure about the first aid kit under the seat though. To me, it should be accessible quickly, and whatever side the bike is lying on.
    You might want to be able to tend to an injury without having to lift the bike and disassemble it first.
    JungleDeath likes this.
  8. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    In wondering if dual lock (pieces as large as the bags)would hold the bags to the insides of the plastics
    JungleDeath likes this.
  9. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. It did not go under the seat. I was going to edit in a question mark in that pic. I keep that first aid kit in my hydro pak next to a windbreaker. When time is a premium why waste it.

Or maybe wide strap type Dual Lock? You're talking Velcro stuff, right?

The Pronghorn straps are easily accessed. The buckles are in a spot where you can reach right in and release them.
  10. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree, lots of real estate going to waste. I think the most lucrative space is where your green bottle is. Seems like a rear rack with a side mount box of some kind could fit in there. Someone smarter than me needs to come up with a brilliant idea!
    JungleDeath likes this.
  11. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    the Velcro on steroids dual lock stuff,, like what aeroflow holds their headlight covers on with, not regular velcro
    JungleDeath likes this.
  12. simplemind

Oddometer:
    Here's a general question: I like my Rally...really! However there are two things that really bug me, 1) The suspension. Without compression and rebound adjustment, it's a one size fits most scenario. 2) The weight. Not much you can do about that.

Now the back story. I happen to ride a new 500 KTM DS today. Wow, what an eye opener. 1) The power. No I do not need twice the power like it delivers, but its overall engine performance (power band) was exceptional. 2) The suspension. It just felt right, not dialed in, but much more controlled that the Rally. 3) The weight. What...almost 100 lbs lighter??? How can that be?

Anyway, I come here to be talked (calmed) down. There are things I think the Rally has over the KTM such as seat height and comfort, a windshield, instrument cluster, so there are reasons I bought the Rally. So the question is, can't there be a lightweight, reliable, good performing bike that isn't a race bike?
  13. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lightweight, reliability, low cost.
    Pick 2.
    TDC_ERock, OneAUout, 78er and 2 others like this.
  14. DylanGeorgeField

DylanGeorgeField Adventure | AU

Oddometer:
    I'll do the same and hide some things in there.

The fairings are great to stop the rain hitting your legs.
    JungleDeath likes this.
  15. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    id agree the ktm 500 is a awsome machine ..severel of me mates run them ..well them and 501s ...same thing really ..i dont see any reason why you couldnt run one for adventure trips as long as you suck up the set up cost and maintance ...i guess you may need to consider a cush drive ...haan or similar ..maby a tank and small fairing ..seat pad of some decription would be a must ...so a rough uk cost for that is ten thousand pounds ....so now i have to factor in depriciation ...and then it gets tricky for a bike that is considered to be well used at 150 hours ..which for me equates to around 4000 miles ..so there is that i guess .. its the same old thing premium bikes ..demand a premium so as long as thats sits ok ..go for it

heres the rub i were on me way last month to a meet in northumberland on me 450 ..i were 90 miles in overtaking a car and the tourque limiter let go ...so nursed it home and chucked the bags on me old crf with a shagged out back tyre and road gearing ..and it just did the job ...another 500 miles up with no preperation whatsoever .....
    infact you can see the 500 ktm strutting its stuff at 4.19 ..somtimes less is more ...
    scooby and niel were on their rallys ...they are all you need for this kind of stuff..enduro bikes are over kill tbo

first bike is a ktm 450 rally rekluse clutch thumb brake ..the full hit ....flipper als 400 ktm is the funny one ...and last is neil on a bog standard crf250l

rally and me klx ..vs tall premium suspension ktms ....slippy as feck proper alge infested rocks

78er, GlosBoy45, Huckwheat and 5 others like this.
  16. Phmode

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="simplemind, post: 38584069, member: 130098"]Here's a general question: I like my Rally...really! However there are two things that really bug me, 1) The suspension. Without compression and rebound adjustment, it's a one size fits most scenario. 2) The weight. Not much you can do about that.

Now the back story. I happen to ride a new 500 KTM DS today. Wow, what an eye opener. 1) The power. No I do not need twice the power like it delivers, but its overall engine performance (power band) was exceptional. 2) The suspension. It just felt right, not dialed in, but much more controlled that the Rally. 3) The weight. What...almost 100 lbs lighter??? How can that be?

Anyway, I come here to be talked (calmed) down. There are things I think the Rally has over the KTM such as seat height and comfort, a windshield, instrument cluster, so there are reasons I bought the Rally. So the question is, can't there be a lightweight, reliable, good performing bike that isn't a race bike?[/QUOTE]

So, calm down :-)

Horses for courses and all that. One of my other passions is astronomy and there is a disease among astronomers called 'aperture fever'. Aperture is the diameter of the big end of a telescope and like there used to be no substitute for cubes, there is absolutely no substitute for aperture, big is good, bigger is better and the biggest is the best.

Everyone I know wants a bigger scope. My largest is 12” across, weighs 80lbs and the tripod weighs another 90 lbs and at the moment I can't lift either. BUT, I still want a bigger one...

In the audio world there is also a saying that the best music system you have is the one that reveals the most music to you; I know guys who have spent 10's, even 100's of thousands of pounds on entire music rooms but spend most of the time listening to music on their iPods...

I know guys (like me) who have invested many thousands of pounds on their 'scopes but spend most of their time looking at the heavens through (admittedly large and expensive) binoculars because they are 'grab and go', or just with their eyes...

So, you are merely suffering from the biking equivalent of aperture fever. The best bike you have is the one that gives you the most pleasure or the most miles or the least hassle, however you measure biking pleasure!

There, now you have a name for your disease, doesn't the world seem a much better and calmer place :-)
    stefaan, OneAUout, 78er and 2 others like this.
  17. simplemind

Oddometer:
  18. Imlime

Imlime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, you are looking for a unicorn. I think the KTM 500 is as close as you are going to get, albeit the compromise you must accept is cost. That said, many of us (me included) buy a $5,500 Rally and spend a few thousand upgrading the bike only to find it will never deliver an equal experience to the KTM. My answer was to keep my Rally for DS and purchase a slightly used Husqvarna FE 250 for the technical woods riding.
    minkyhead likes this.
  19. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's ironic that you would make this post...after I just had the exact same experience this past Friday on a buddies KTM 350 EXC. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to talk you down.

We switched rides and while I knew the KTM was a lot more bike than my Rally, I was pretty surprised at just how stark the difference was. Of course, the linear power band was awesome but what really struck me was how planted the bike was with just stock suspension. It really did make me a better rider with a level of confidence that my skill level lacks on the Rally. The bike has a lot of power, but it never felt like it couldn't be controlled. What a fun ride.

I know I could spend $1000 and upgrade the Rally suspension, but why? The KTM is such a great package right from the factory. I'm not being critical of the Rally as it's a great little bike for what it is, but I'm fortunate to have practically unlimited dirt riding within 3 miles...so, yeah I'll probably be shopping for a KTM 350/500 EXC next spring.
    simplemind likes this.
  20. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May I ask, which vario risers did you use? And may I assume no problems with cable lenght (in any position) or windshield clearance (when up & forward)?