HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    SW Motech 152-991 Vario, Up and Back, like this (only in black)...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/192778252964

I have mine adjusted vertically by 50mm (without the spacer) so they the same distance from me as the originals but are 50mm higher. The further forward you go you lose height and hit the screen with the levers.

I made the 'mistake' of fitting 18mm risers and then decided to upgrade to Renthal bars. I 'should' have bought the 18mm to 22mm risers and that would have allowed me to have the tougher 22mm Renthals...

No cable problems other than having to loosen a couple of the ties and clamps so they don't bind on full lock.
  2. karlb

karlb My life is a blur

Oddometer:
    Here is the big one for me.
    Maintenance schedule.
    I have 3 bikes, 2 cars, an F250, 2 tractors, an RTV900, 5 trailers and a zero turn mower to maintain, give me the maintenance schedule of the Honda or the Wr250r over the others, or am I missing something and there are light weight more powerful small dual sports with similar maintenance schedules?
  3. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! assume you mean 22 to 28 risers. Or am I wrong in thinking the stock bar (and clamps) are 22? I thought I could simply exchange the stock bar for a Renthal SE - like the 966 or 971?
  4. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Yes, my mistake...started on the whisky a little early today...:1drink
    Pilomajajo and simplemind like this.
  5. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would agree with you if I used the Rally as a road and dirt bike (i.e commute during the week...dirt riding on the weekend). But, since I have easy access to dirt and I do minimal street riding with it, I'm not putting on a lot of miles for an afternoon of riding. The increased maintenance requirements are easy to accomplish and would not be a problem for me.

I really want to stress here the Rally is a wonderful little bike and has been a blast to own as I build my dirt skills (if I had the room, I'd probably even keep it, but alas...). After tasting the unbelievable ability of a stock KTM, I believe it will work better for me as my riding has advanced.
    istadniy and minkyhead like this.
  6. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    Three of us on our Rally's crossing an estuary in Devon this weekend

5b570eb4-e2e1-4d0f-a1d2-4bc4168179be.jpg
    OneAUout, alfabc, GlosBoy45 and 7 others like this.
  7. boboneleg

Oddometer:
    Some fording

7f70d0ee-27a4-4ac6-bc44-b09789d6d740.jpg

and about to tackle some mud covered rock steps

fa419c3c-b020-4ba0-a2d7-b1923176dc16.jpg
  8. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting comparing the Rally250 to the KTM 500... if anyone is interested in turning a KTM500 into more of an ADV bike check out this build thread from RTWPaul : https://advrider.com/f/threads/adventurizing-a-ktm-500exc-for-rtw-riding.1369978/ Lots of good ideas there and tested well on high mile rides.

All of these ADV bikes are compromises. The Honda Rally 250 is compromised towards reliability, comfort (for a 250), cost, reliability, and light load travel. Those design choices that Honda made decreased trail performance so if you want a great trail machine the Rally is not one of the best choices. Of course, you can always modify the bike away from the way it is built to shift the compromises but it is generally not going to get you to the level of a machine that was purpose built from the factory for a reasonable cost.

So, if you want to go fast, choosing a bike that is "Ready to Race" as it comes from the factory is not a bad idea.
  9. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    No one's right or wrong. If I had trails in me back yard I'd buy a trail bike. But there isn't any of any note. I'd say I'd average 500 miles. A weekend. ..off again next week. So by the time I get back il have racked up 1500 miles in just one month. I just can't afford to run a high stung dirtbike that way..don't use a car have a van. So I have to ride. Prefer to ride where I'm going. Such a shame the 450 L. Turned out to be a 450x with 25 hp. And a extra gear boshed in it. And silly service intervals
    .. that could have been the one that does all.
    78er, Glenn247, Phmode and 7 others like this.
  10. boboneleg

Oddometer:
    Like Wind_Rider and Minky have said , the KTM and the Rally are two different bikes. I have a 400EXC and there is no way I'd consider riding it 100 miles to get to some trails but it'll make light work of most obstacles on the trail. I'll happily ride the Rally down to France (done it twice already) and I'll have a go at those same obstacles on the trail but it'll be harder work than on the KTM.
  11. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me focus a bit: I wasn't trying to compare the Rally to the 500 KTM...at least it wasn't my initial intention. I just had my eyes opened to the the difference in handling and performance. Sure, the power of the 250 Rally is plenty for my purposes, however I don't particularly like the way the power is delivered. I actually felt the KTM, with almost twice the power was actually more in control of the power. Here is a video of a comparison of the 450L and a Husky that articulated what I have experienced with the Rally. Maybe it's just the Honda throttle mapping strategy across their line: skip to 17:40 for what I'm trying to explain here . So, I go back to my original thought process...do I "upgrade" the Rally to get what I want, or do I "dumb down" a higher performance machine to get what I want.
  12. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Well put Bob. I had a KTM 450 EXC Racing, an old one, like me. These days, and having got the Rally instead, I wouldn't consider riding the KTM down the drive, let alone down to France.

I too have a problem with the way the Rally delivers what power it has and decided to try the Throttle Tamer system.

However, having acquired bi-lateral stress fractures of the wrists I can't ride anything anywhere and can't even fit the new throttle tube...:(
  14. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    For me, it came down to comfort, reliability, and maintenance schedules for what I wanted in a DS. I didn't want a bike that listed hours/maintenance. You can't "dumb down" maintenance schedules.
  15. boboneleg

Oddometer:
    That's bad news, hope you get a quick recovery.
  16. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Bob.

Too tight to pay my builder to demolish a fireplace and chimney breast I wielded my trusty rotary hammer and set to...a week after and I couldn't pick up a half and I have never drunk halves in my life.

Prognosos is 6 - 9 months for a full recovery...

AND I have just bought another bike to boot...

41604FE1-ACC1-4C20-B02C-B8E1096EF3FA.jpeg

...a 1977 BMW R100RS with a genuine 9,600 miles on the clock, stored by its second owner for 40 years and a bike I used to clean for its first owner back in 1978 whilst looking (not very hard) for a job having just left the RAF.

It's being delivered next Tuesday and I can't even polish it :-)
    stefaan, OneAUout, 78er and 4 others like this.
  17. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow...gorgeous RS. Congrats on the find!
  18. Grafspee

Grafspee one bike is never enough

Oddometer:
    Camping at Tuner’s Bend in Arkansas near Oark. We’ve been riding the forest service roads either side of the Mulberry River. Rode my 250 Rally from Mt. Vernon IL on gravel, dirt, oil/chip, and highway this little bike surprises me how capable it is!

AEA7E0B9-4676-4BC9-B8AB-8251781EE110.jpeg
    Riding with 2 other guys on WR250R bikes so far we have 855 mile in 5 day.
  19. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    4D9CD193-376E-47FA-8D09-B40C6E896D93.jpeg

with Oakbluffcamper and Oldbiker83
    alfabc, thanossw1, Phmode and 2 others like this.
  20. Grafspee

Oddometer:
    C487FAAF-D04A-4964-8BCF-3596E0025622.jpeg
    up on the Glade Top Trail yesterday
    78er, alfabc, PRN and 4 others like this.